Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
188DarkRevived

Should I make a sequel to my WAD or not?

Hi, I'm the creator of the Demon Abundance Singleplayer+Coop WAD for JDOOM. (It appeared in /newstuff #180 a few weeks ago.)
I was just wondering, should I make a sequel for it or not? So far the WAD has recieved 3 votes but I'd like to hear more feedback before I decide what to do.
Just say what's on your mind folks, I'd like to know what I did well and what I need to improve on.
Thanks a lot, gotta go now.

Go ahead. You can never have too much mapping experience.

I do admit that mapping is gradually becoming one of my favorite hobbies. I've been learning how to map since 1997, but I was too afraid to make public releases back then cause I really sucked. :p
Currently I've plunged into the exploration of the Q2 engine and I'm very busy on a map for Raven's Heretic II.
So if I ever do get to work on a sequel for Demon Abundace, it will probably be some time in 2005.

Most of my maps are for Heretic and Hexen (current project). At first, my maps were relatively poor, but they got better over the years. I even made a Quake TF map (invade4a, which was originally a practice map for my old clan).

Demon Abundance was one I reviewed. I thought it was interesting and showed promise. I'd suggest a sequel shouldn't be port-specific (unless you intend to make more extensive use of gameplay features that require a specific port), and you should ease off on the instant-death situations. Maybe slightly smaller maps, or maps with more obvious landmarks throughout (helps with navigation).

But yes, I'd definitely welcome a sequel.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Originally the WAD wasn't intended to be port specific. But it turned out to be that way because I didn't know how to fix some of those pesky HOMs or slime trails or whatever they're called.
I didn't know how to fix those gliches and I was too angry to restart the whole project from scratch. So eventually I discovered that JDOOM removed all of those flaws :)
And the reason why I included instant death traps is because I thought that would encourage players to be more cautious and cooperative with each other during Coop sessions.

ZDoom also removes those limits, and more people use it instead of JDoom anyway.

Making it for "any limit-removing port" will keep most people happy. That means you avoid using any features that are specific to one particular port, but you needn't worry about the limits of the original games (VPO, HOM, savegame limit, etc.).

I'd have thought instant-death traps would be even more annoying in coop. Depends how you play it, I suppose.

Well, just out of curiousity, why don't people like JDOOM as much as they like ZDOOM?
Don't both of these ports have almost identical features anyway?
I mean, there is an OpenGL version of ZDOOM out there, I saw it.

They are very different - about as different as two Doom ports can be.

I think a lot of people get a poor framerate with jDoom (and on some maps everyone gets a poor framerate), and some people don't like the look of the graphics (or those of any GL renderer).

Personally I like jDoom except for its demo features (enormous file sizes + cumbersome system for recording). I might have tried recording something on your maps if it hadn't been for that.

Different people prefer different things, and have different priorities. If you give them as much choice as possible, you'll keep more of them happy.

I use JHexen because I can modify the .dll files containing the source code, thereby giving me the option of altering or adding all sorts of things that Dehacked cannot.

What were your reasons for hating my work so much, Captain Red?
You are aware of the fact that it's humanly impossible to please all the millions of DOOM players at the same time, right?
If you give me a list of some desirable elements that you'd like to see in a map or two, then perhaps I would be able to incorporate some of those elements sooner or later.

This is just a guess, but I think that was just a bit of joking sarcasm.

Um, yes. I think his point (if he had one) was that it's entirely your decision; if you are motivated to do it, then you should do it.

That can be said for a lot of people. If a post looks odd, it's probably sarcasm, or some sort of attempt at humour.