Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

So the June 15th rumour....

Well I guess we'd need a press release by now. I doubt we will get one soon, or even on June 15th. If Hollenshed said he didn't know about it being out before Quakecon, I won't hold my breath.

Alientank said:

Well I guess we'd need a press release by now. I doubt we will get one soon, or even on June 15th. If Hollenshed said he didn't know about it being out before Quakecon, I won't hold my breath.

as if waiting this long to release it and letting other games catch up to them wasn't stupid enough, it'd yet again be stupid not to release it for play at QuakeCon, imo.

Melfice said:

as if waiting this long to release it and letting other games catch up to them wasn't stupid enough, it'd yet again be stupid not to release it for play at QuakeCon, imo.

Stupid in what sense? I honestly believe that id cannot plan their releases. It is done when it is done. The delay that we (the fans) feel excist is caused by the eagerness we want to play this game (and some signs saying COMING IN 2003 maybe).

My 10 not funny causes for the not excisting delay.

1. id software does not employ real project managers that can plan and execute.
2. id software cannot plan because they dont have the experience with all this cool new tech and art.
3. id software does not plan at all, and says it is done when it is done
4. The developers were doing the "You cannot force the creative process, not let me play UT2004".
5. the requirements (story, tech) are shifting, so they have to rebuild.
6. they do not have any requirements, so they cannot plan.
7. the communication with activision sucks ("we never said 2003")
8. Key players (sound, developers) left during development that were difficult to replace.
9. id software needed some vacation, so they picked up development after their 6 month holiday.
10. It is done since the end of 2002, but they are not releasing it because of marketing reasons.

Zoost said:

10. It is done since the end of 2002, but they are not releasing it because of marketing reasons.

I sure hope thats not it, but it would mean that the next game would already be pretty far into production.

Melfice said:

As if Id wants to release an incomplete game.

Quit your bitching and paranoid dellusions - they make me sick.

dsm said:

As if Id wants to release an incomplete game.

Quit your bitching and paranoid dellusions - they make me sick.

While we're making a demands, why don't you quit being so much of a freakin fanboy while we're at it?

Melfice said:

While we're making a demands, why don't you quit being so much of a freakin fanboy while we're at it?

Just tell me why it'd make sense for Id to deliberately delay their game - because I can't make any sense of it, even if Id is evil.

Zoost you forgot 11.

11. It is done since the end of 2002 and ID just can't stop playing it.

John Carmack: Ok lads we are releasing it this afternoon, ok.. ok... one more deathmatch then release.

Wow wee...
Maybe its not comming out at all, what a bummer huh? How sad would you really be?
I would probably live my daily life just as I always do...

People lose faith so damn quickly, it's like watching the Bible movies with Moses over and over.

[Screenies/Movies]
Freed israelite 1: 'Well we've seen the sea split for us, so lets dedicate ourselves to this God.'
[Rumour]
Freed israelite 2: 'Um, where the fuck is Moses?'
Freed israelite 1: 'OMG, He's not coming back!'
[Release]
Moses: I'm back al- Whats going on here?
Freed israelite 1 2: Oh shit.

I would rather wait until September for this game to be released and have it be complete, than see it on June/July but incomplete or with obvious flaws. I think ID is doing the right thing by not releasing it now despite all the pressure they are probably getting.

Numbermind said:

Whatever happened to the "when it's finished" rumor?

Oh wait.

That died after the "This summer" rumor.... oh wait.

S1lent said:

That died after the "This summer" rumor.... oh wait.

And the "this summer" rumor will die when it turns out that Doom 3 will be delayed - bwahahaha!

dsm said:

Just tell me why it'd make sense for Id to deliberately delay their game - because I can't make any sense of it, even if Id is evil.

I'm making my guesses off of how long they've been in the "finishing up" stage now. As for deliberately delaying it, that could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps they think that if you release it at X date, more people will beable to buy it than Y date because of some statistics in people buying video games. That's viable, but who knows. They could also be taking into consideration that people (young adults) who play games most are saving up during the summer to rig a PC so it's able to handle it. That's a viable reason, too. There could be alot of reasons, but it's my personal opinion that they're done with it and are waiting, though I'm not sure what for as several factors could come into a reason for the to waiting.

If they were finished and were waiting to release it at a certain date, they would probably have announced a release date by now (unless it's too far into the future). I'm guessing that they are just finishing everything up, debugging, and/or working on the official demo.

On the bright side, at least it hasn't suffered the same fate as Half-Life 2 or Duke Nukem Forever, so there is quite a lot of hope that it will be released either in the summer or, at the very latest, early fall.

Janderson said:

People lose faith so damn quickly, it's like watching the Bible movies with Moses over and over.. .

Heh, truly genious. It would suck that Doom wouldn't be released by Quakecon (primarily because there would be no more id games; mangled, mutilated corpses don't seem to make good games, or games at all in fact), but I doubt it would be because id is intentionally posponing its release. I see no real reason why they'd do this. It doesn't really work in their favor; by this time they've gone on long enough that they're teetering in some fans eyes as going the way of DNF.

Melfice said:

I'm making my guesses off of how long they've been in the "finishing up" stage now.

It is widely known that it will take 80% of the total amount of projecttime to do the last 20% of work. And vice versa. To reach a perfect end situation. In a lot of cases organisations decide that 95% perfect is good enough and let end users deal with the imperfections.

I guess id doesn't settle for 95% perfect.

If that were true, they'd be out of business in a matter of days after it was revealed. A lynch mob of geeks would be banging on the office doors within minutes, and no one will ever take any of the programmers seriously again. id would lose all respect and become more hated than Microsoft, Enron, and AOL combined. Now, I ask you, do they really want to risk that just for the sake of a few laughs?

Oh, no it won't. We, especially, would not find it the least bit amusing, and we would be among the first who would take John Carmack's head and re-enact Icon of Sin (map 30).

dsm said:

And the "this summer" rumor will die when it turns out that Doom 3 will be delayed - bwahahaha!

When i heard about the summer release date afew weeks back i figured that the real release date would be sometime in 2006, but that's just me being critical of Id.

Better not tempt fate though. :/

I'm not psychic or anything but I have a small feeling for when it will be released. I don't know why, but I feel that when I see it on a store shelf, that is when it has been released.
Going near, or in a game store on the other hand though... ug.

Goliath said:

Maybe they lied and this is just a really big prank.

of course. you are forgetting, there IS no doom3

If it does come out June 15th, then I'm buying it - because that just happens to be my birthday.

Couldn't help but notice on Doomworld's mainpage news they say July 15th instead ;) Which one should I go for?