Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goliath

Starting your own website

I want to make my own website, but I don't really know where do go or how to do it, so that is where you guys come in.

I have experience with postnuke. It is very goog stuff. Apache, php, Mysql. All opensource and free. Very user friendly. All you need is a host.

postnuke.com

for the best results register a domain and rent serve space. usally $7a year and as low as $5 a month.

it is much much easier this way, and you dont have to deal with adds, popups and extreamly low bandwidth/space

geocities angelfire tripod 50megs freewebs 250megs all suck major bugfuck. I suggest you use them.

Fredrik said:

A good first step is to make sure you have something useful to put on the site.

Wise words. But unfortunately very rarely heeded.

Always remember that flashy content is not always a good thing. There's really no point in having a site with fancy graphics and not being able to see the content, or there not being enough content at all.

Also remember that Notepad is your friend. Don't use site builders, since you don't really learn anything using an editor that does all the work for you. Templates are of the devil. If you decide to use something besides Notepad, there are always some good html editors which have nice stuff like syntax highlighting to make things easier to read. A good html editor I would recommend is AceHTML.