Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

When was the last time you jumped/got tense while playing Doom?

I know there may be threads that already ask this, but all of those threads are too old, so I'll just start this one.

I jumped just 3 minutes ago and one time before that. I was playing the console doom wad to see how far I could get (I got to "Blood Keep: Map18) and some of the Doom 64 maps were altered in that wad. I fired a rocket and I realized there was a spectre. I jumped at the sight of the red screen, not know what was going on. In "Blood Keep," I was firing rockets at Hell Knights and Barons but I stepped in front of a wall and I died. :(

I usually get tense when I hear a demon but I can't see it. I get REALLY tense in mazes, especially when there's something like a Revenant in there. I jump whenever I get surprise attacked by swarms of anything with a loud sight noise (Cacodemon, Revenant, etc.).

Well, give me your experiences!

Last time I was affected like that was with Realm of the Green Soul - the first Stealth Imp that attacked me. I had no idea about stealth monsters at that point.

play testing my friends level yesterday. i was riding an elevator up to an area i had been, not knowing that a Cacodemon had spawned there. it nailed me faster than i thought it should have been able too.

I jumped when I were testing the Revenant's behavior that I'm working on (one that make him far more deadlier and agressive). First I tested it in map01 (with "summon revenant" cheat, and map 16, but nothing special, I said "yes, it works fine", but then I tested it in the first room of map06, and I get scared with my own monster, oh, and I died the first time, what a shame.

About a month ago an imp managed to slip by me without me noticing and when I turned around it freaked me out that something was in the once empty hall.

Was just playing through Dues vult, i got a bit scared when i first stepped into the vast cavern at the start of map 2, i had no idea what to do or where to go, just that i had to keep running and trying to kill some of the hundreds of monsters firing at me from evrywhere, 15 minutes of blindly running and shooting later i still dont know what to do, and there seems to be just as many enemies as ever hehe

Just the other day in Vile Fleah map22, I hit this switch and the floor flew down leaving me face to face with a pissed off Revenant.

This jump was never really inside of Doom, but it made me jump.

I was playing Map20: Gotcha! and had just spawned there, sitting. I turned the volume quite loud since I never thought it was loud enough. Then, for some reason, windows had an error, and I was on my brother's PC. He has "The Rock" sounds as his errors and stuff. I had the speakers loud and that error noise was LOUD!!! Man, I nearly ran out of the PC room screaming.

So, it wasn't Doom's fault, it was Window's.

Windows strikes fear in the hearts of men.

For me it was probably the last time I played Asylum of the Wretched.

I jumped just less than a minute ago. I'm doing a little silly thing called "The Apocalypse" where I just summon in tons of Cyberdemons and Spidermasterminds all over the Suburbs. I was hiding in the little square building (the one with the fake wall) killing Cybers through the fake wall. I was pretty sure that they were all dead in that area, so I left the building when BOOM!!! I died. I totally wasn't expecting that.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Bashe, is it just me or do you get scared easily?

Yes, I'm afraid so...

Mostly its just surprises. I never really get scared literally.

Hmmm. I jumped when playing Virgil's Claustrophobia (level 1, with the knight and the ripped body). Not surprising tough.

I jumped the other day when I turned around in this map I was playing and I thought everything was dead and this sarge blasted me in the ass.

This one time when I was mapping for the original Vilecore and using DoomCAD, I accidentially put two Cybs in a small room and I thought I had placed torches. So I was running around my map without any thought of being attacked. I thought my map was monsterless because I hadn't placed any yet.... that I knew of. When the Cybs roared I almost had a freakin heart attack. lol.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Heh... Some time in 1994?
Like I'm gonna remember.

same here. ok the barons at the end of E1M8. i saw them and was like "Oh....Shit..." and yes at that time they where a bitch to defeat. but now i look back and laught

I was playing the other day and a bird hit my window when I was fighting a pink demon. That scared me alot.

Last week when I used my little headphones on the computer for the first time. I was on TNT - Evilution map18 (man I'm tired of that map) and I walked back into the big room at the end when I was spotted by a Hell Knight. His roar made me jump because of how loud my headphones where. It's actually quite an experience to play Doom with headphones and the volume up loud.

Recently I was playing something for zdoom, and I heard a fizzing. The person sitting next to me said 'what is that?' Then suddenly we heard a POC(Jump1)! come from my laptop adapter. She screamed(Jump2), and Doom guy got raped by a cyberdemon(Jump3). I fell out of my chair.
My laptop began beeping so I tried to shut it down. Some guy banged the door open(jump4). I fell out of my chair again, (I preffer two legs to four). My laptop never woke up.

I was chatting the other day and I fell out of my chair. I usually think the chair is lined up with the bed, so the chair will sit there, but this time it wasn't and I fell down.

I jumped yesterday while playing E3M7 in UV. I opened the door to the secret at the begining of the map and there were 2 cacos in there.

Hmm...maybe playing e2m7...I got really tense and jumped when i got bitten cause i didn't hear the biting sound. Freaked me out.

And in DM...I was runnign around looking for someone and suddunly a SSG sounded behind me and made me scream. Really funny.

I jumped the other day when I pressed MOUSE BUTTON 3, which I have bound to JUMP.

I think I normally scare the freak out when I hear the CyberDemon steps in some DooM 64 map for PC DooM. (I think it is "Cat and Mice" or somewhat)

when the Doom64 TC first came out i was shocked. i hadn't ever played original Doom64 so i was always like "ommagosh, something unexpected-IN DOOM!!!"