Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JimboC

Character Modding Tools

I've been looking around the web for awhile and I can't seem to find any information about what tools Id plans on releasing for Doom 3. I'm most concerned about character modding.

I know that they're currently using Maya to make all their characters. Unfortunately, I own 3D Studio Max because that's what most companies used until recently. Does anyone know if Id's planning on releasing a plug in to export from 3D Studio Max as well as Maya or am I going to have to shell out the $$$ for Maya?

I've asked the same thing to the guys at Valve and I got back that both plug-ins would 'probably' happen. My emails to Id haven't been answered, probably because they're busy with the crunch trying to get the game finished.

Has anyone heard any information on this?

I'm sure id won't force modders to spend several hundred dollars on something like Maya just to put a new model into the game. Also, I'm pretty sure most of the background objects in the leaked alpha (chairs, barrels, door frames) were actually Lightwave models.

One of our members has already written a well working exporter to convert MAX models into the md5 format:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1914

For animations you'll need to convert the frames to .md5anim and the mesh goes into .md5mesh

Static models can be in the native LightWave format .lwo or in ASCII .ase

But as usual - the information could be so old and outdated that you eventually could discard my post.

If you currently own a full copy of 3DStudio Max, than there's a 99,99999% chance someone will come up with the neccessary exporter.

If you currently own a full copy of 3DStudio Max, than there's a 99,99999% chance someone will come up with the neccessary exporter.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that possibility. :DOH:

Also, thanks for the link. I'll have to play around with that and see how it works!

Most likely they'll make an exporter for GMax (the freeware 3DStudio Max that's designed specifically for game modding).

Why don't you stop being a sad sack and do some friggin homework for once. You can download a student edition of maya for free iirc, or you could spend $20 bucks to have it shipped to you with a dvd video tutorial. I'm sure 3ds has something similiar.

gatewatcher said:

Why don't you stop being a sad sack and do some friggin homework for once. You can download a student edition of maya for free iirc, or you could spend $20 bucks to have it shipped to you with a dvd video tutorial. I'm sure 3ds has something similiar.

Would be Gmax for MAX, but you do know that both programs save to proprietary file formats.

As long as id software doesn't support the file formats you'll be out of luck.

Both learning editions have been made inacessible for commonly used 3D file formats.

Last I saw Id comment on editing tools, they said that Maya and Lightwave were not included (for obvious reasons) and that there was no equivalent shipping with the game, however they did mention that there were several free modelling and animation tools that modders could download and use for Doom 3.

I wouldn't worry overly about it - right now, I'm more concerned with whether I'll get the time and opportunities to do some proper, decent models as well as being able to animate them.

Zaldron said:

You people could just warez these apps.

Like rational people does.

Yeah well, "rational people" go to Hell :-P