Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caco-Puff

The Assault Rifle

I like what you're going for, but it's a little sloppy. I don't think the scope really needs to be off center. It's kinda silly, as it's a weapon for lefties only.

Use more color blending and less cheap dithering.

Just another in a long string of Action Copycats!!

heh, seriously though. I see you put the doom map thing on the gun as a sort of motion tracker thing. What I would od is make the thing Bigger, take up darn near the whole back of the gun on a big monitor... or put the Scope mounted in the back cneter and offset a monitor with the tracker thing.

Yeah I was gunna put the scope center but I thought the top of the gun was a bit wide for that.

Another idea to keep the scope where it is would be inspired by the Sniper Rifle from AVP,Have it mounted on pegs sort of,And when you'd go to zoom it'd move to the middle.

MasterOFDeath said:

I agree with UltraV, and I also suggest something like making it angled to help it look a bit better.

Why? Personally I've never understood the coolness of side-of-the-screen weapons, unless they're supposed to make it look like some other shoooter (which IMO is pointless). Problem is they block off part of your side view, which tends to be rather important. I think weapons belong on the bottom of your screen because nothing ever happens right in front of your face anyway unless you're an idiot, or if Doomguy happens to find his own feet incredibly fascinating.

netnomad312 said:

Why? Personally I've never understood the coolness of side-of-the-screen weapons, unless they're supposed to make it look like some other shoooter (which IMO is pointless). Problem is they block off part of your side view, which tends to be rather important. I think weapons belong on the bottom of your screen because nothing ever happens right in front of your face anyway unless you're an idiot, or if Doomguy happens to find his own feet incredibly fascinating.

I think that having a weapon to the side is better because it is a bit more realistic and sometimes looks a bit better. In any game, wad, or anything like that I have NEVER had a problem with my side veiw being blocked, it just depends on how you angle it. A good angle looks nice and real. A bad angle is just annoying. You dont even have to put it all the way on the side of the screen, just angle it a little and shift it to the right/left just enough so it looks good. Im not saying you have to angle it, it is just a suggestion.

Heh, I have yet to see an angled weapon that looks as good (or better) as (or than) the original doom weapon sprites.

EarthQuake said:

Heh, I have yet to see an angled weapon that looks as good (or better) as (or than) the original doom weapon sprites.

I second that.

Drawing side mounted guns is about 1000x times more interesting too from an artists standpoint. Middle guns lose just about all their detail since all you see is the top of the barrell and the butt. Not fun to draw, since you never see all the fun intricate details of the weapon.

I've been trying to get a more natural offset look lately. Slightly offset yet close to the center. It's also not a coincidence that the artwork get better as the angles get more natural. I have a problem with so many games today because it looks like the angle is as though they were holding it a foot from their body trying to still point forward.

I try to make my weapons fit in with the orignal DooM weapons,It looks kind wierd to switch from an angled weapon to a center weapon and vice versa. Although I do agree that it's much easier to show details from an angle.

Ultraviolet said:

It's kinda silly, as it's a weapon for lefties only.

Doomguy's left handed anyway.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

I have a question, how come Doomguy can hold a rocket launcher infront of his belly and not set himself ablaze when he fires it?

He puts it between his legs and then fires it.

If this rocket launcher could back blast it would kill the monsters behind you too, so lets just assume that this has a new propulsion system.

The muzzle flash could use some work... it doesn't line up with the barrel, and it looks like a red octopus. You could also take some ideas from other posts in this thread, like making the scope centered or the little viewscreen bigger. The pickup sprite could use a little work, too.

That's my 2 cents. Good work otherwise.

I hope you don't mind Puff, but I took the liberty to do some work on the gun to try and spruce it up. http://www.doomworld.com/gbd2/files/assault.zip First thing I did, was take your idea of the automap on the gun, and make it more prominent... it was a good idea, but needed to be not so passive. Second, the gun was lacking any serious highlights. Metal naturally has a very high luminosity, and because of that, edges and many other areas will show up near white even on a solid black gun. I also fixed the muzzle flash. It was good, but needed to be lined up more with the barrel of the gun, and the second frame was ...strange. I rotated the first sprite to give it a neat animation.

Holy crap it's fantastic!

I'll keep this handy for when I make my next weapon,Thanks Scuba.

The 2nd muzzle flash was just the first one skewed a bit,I may make another gun quickly and try out some of your ideas on it.But thanks again for the help,I'll post your version up on the site too.

Right, because that's a strict rule that should be skirted as closely as possible under the pretense that it's "still alright" even though you had jack shit to say that was useful.