Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tool

Doom Books converted to Movie

I was just reading the Doom movie posts, and I was curious how many of you guys had read the doom series (books). Or at least the first two, ( The best in my opinion.)
Also wanted to give my input and say that I wouldn't mind seeing the Movie, ( if its actually accomplished) be based of the books somehow...at least the first two.

Anyone agree or have any other opinions?

Later - Tool

A movie...? Maybe a Hallmark Entertainment series instead?

I suggested myself that I'd like to see the movie be based on the books but you can't say that around here, as there's a bunch of fuck-head-fanboy twits who bitch about novels for a game to which didn't have much of a story in the begin with that came from the early 90's.

Melfice said:
I suggested myself that I'd like to see the movie be based on the books but you can't say that around here,

Yes you can (unless your fingers are broken, or something); you can also expect many people not to like them and to express it, though, as they aren't above being mediocre, at best.

as there's a bunch of fuck-head-fanboy twits who bitch about novels

Goat isn't your dad (well, I suppose); don't take his post like it's the tenth commandment to resist from the flaming bowels of Hell while spewing streams of spite. I kind of agree with him; as far as good taste goes, they aren't too worthy of being talked about. But if I didn't, I doubt I'd take his words so seriously as to be redfaced and steaming about what he said (i.e., get a grip.)

for a game to which didn't have much of a story in the begin with

Fortunately! What it has fits in nicely as a pretext and "decoration."

that came from the early 90's.

?

Really, the author of the books took what he saw and ran with it. Demons who use advanced technolog? Can't possibly exist in his opinon; now, aliens that LOOK like demons is a better possiblity to him, so he went with it.
Now, the story line of the first two Doom novels had everything in it including deathmatch and coop. (They had to fight against their own kind who wore "motorcycle" helmets, being deathmatch, and then there are four of them fighting against everyone else, coop) There are also references in both books to the actual game, like the swastika on 1-5 and the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind in Doom 2 (I dunno the map number.) Now, while it's safe to say the last two books sucked total ass, there isn't much we could do about it.

Now, if they did make a Doom movie, I wouldn't mind it being based off the novels as long as they took those last two off, because they were stupid. But I'd much rather them use the original story line of space marines on the moons of Mars fighting against the demons of hell. :/

Ya, I posted a thread about the DOOM novels, only for opinions though, and I think it kindof lead to this same subject here, I'm not sure though. Look for a thread called "DOOM Novels".

myk said:

Goat isn't your dad (well, I suppose); don't take his post like it's the tenth commandment to resist from the flaming bowels of Hell while spewing streams of spite. I kind of agree with him; as far as good taste goes, they aren't too worthy of being talked about. But if I didn't, I doubt I'd take his words so seriously as to be redfaced and steaming about what he said (i.e., get a grip.)Fortunately! What it has fits in nicely as a pretext and "decoration."

What I said wasn't said in response to Goat's post, it was said because in the past when someone brought up a thread about the novels a bunch of fan-boy bitching ensued. BTW, good job on tearing apart my post into sections and diagnosing and responding to each part, you must really have nothing better to do.

Well, there's many ways a Doom movie could go wrong. Using the books as source material is probably the biggest.

Melfice said:

I suggested myself that I'd like to see the movie be based on the books but you can't say that around here, as there's a bunch of fuck-head-fanboy twits who bitch about novels for a game to which didn't have much of a story in the begin with that came from the early 90's.

the doom novels are shit, get over it; you have bad taste

Oh No Its Kyle said:
Really, the author of the books took what he saw and ran with it. Demons who use advanced technolog? Can't possibly exist in his opinon; now, aliens that LOOK like demons is a better possiblity to him, so he went with it.

Well if that's his opinion, then he damn well shouldn't ever have written a novel series based on a game this popular and called the series "Doom".

Now, the story line of the first two Doom novels had everything in it including deathmatch and coop. (They had to fight against their own kind who wore "motorcycle" helmets, being deathmatch, and then there are four of them fighting against everyone else, coop) There are also references in both books to the actual game, like the swastika on 1-5 and the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind in Doom 2 (I dunno the map number.)

Gimmicks and totally irrelevant to a good story.

Now, if they did make a Doom movie, I wouldn't mind it being based off the novels as long as they took those last two off, because they were stupid. But I'd much rather them use the original story line of space marines on the moons of Mars fighting against the demons of hell. :/

I'd mind if they made a DOOM movie, regardless of what it was based on.

You know Melfice, the fact that you stick up for the books as religiously as we bash it, actually makes you look more like a fanboy than us - one could be lead to believe that you like the books simply because it has "DOOM" tacked on its cover.
Ok that was unfair, so let's just disregard that one.

I find it amusing how you always elegantly ignore the more in-depth arguments from the counter-part while never hesitating to slam them as "fanboys". You know the rule: "If you can't come up with a decent counter-argument, assault your opponent's personality".

Now, I've noticed that DOOM novel bashers, don't always bash the novels because they deviate from the games, but because they simply think the story within sucks, yet whenever I see arguments from the likes of you, it makes one believe that Novel bashers simply bash it because the demons are space aliens - talk about twisting words to your own purpose.

Why do I attack you personally (and I'm using the word "attack" loosely here - hey, exaggeration makes understanding easier)? Because I'm sick of being accused of being a fanboy whenever I argue for my opinion - I've tried it over and over again: some faggot can't come up with a decent argument to counter my argumentation, so they resort to calling me a fanboy.
It's the way of the loser, grow some balls and fight fair instead of blatantly assaulting people for their opinions.

Melfice said:

BTW, good job on tearing apart my post into sections and diagnosing and responding to each part, you must really have nothing better to do.

You did reply to it-- In the same day...

Coopersville said:

You did reply to it-- In the same day...

Yeah, if you noticed, it was 6 hours apart (look at the times) from when he posted that. I don't know if you were suggesting I was waiting for him to reply or what but whatever the deal is, it was off a bit.

And DSM, the reason I don't sit there and argue every little bitchy point in an argument or debate is because I better things to do with my life. As for my defending of the books its not about books as its about not being able to stand dick-head fanboys who need to get a fucking life and find something better to do with themselves. And you know why I call you a fanboy? Because you're one of a few people who take the time to be so opinionated about things Doom related whether it's Doom 3 related, or the novels. Who the fuck cares that the marines name was Flynn Taggart in a book based off of a game which gave very little to work with story-line wise, further more why should anyone honestly give a shit about half the things that people bitch about regarding the damn things? Why should anyone honestly give a shit about the Doom 3 storyline when its pretty damned obvious the game itself is going to be great? Who gives a flying fuck if the shotgun isn't exactly the way it was in the original Doom, which didn't make sense being on Mars along with Plasma Rifles and BFGs. And lastly who gives a flying fuck what your opinion is over it and what makes you think anyone in their right mind should? I make strong attempts not to make myslef to be a hypocrite here, but when I say that a lot of people here like to do nothing but wait for a chance to bitch and whine I mean it, and I realize that posts like this could be called hypocritical but I don't think of it as bitching I think of it as an attempt to get someone to shut the fuck up and get a god damned life. Now go ahead and break this down piece by piece, overanalyze it, because you obviously have nothing better to do with yourself in doing so.

Stealthy Ivan said:
Reading sucks anyways.

Aha, perhaps you'd find these fitting, then.

A Doom 3 based movie would absolutely suck! Why not an original Doom based movie? I want to see some demons! Like, REAL demons! Horns and shit! And fire! And violence! Some crucifixes! I want to see hell damnit! GAH!

If the books were written with no connection to Doom, then i'd say they were fairly decent novels, in a trashy sci-fi junk sale kind of way. And as a movie, it would be one of those straight to video jobs, starring the guy who played the sidekick of the aid to the cheif scientist in a 6-second scene from Independence Day.

As novel (punnage!) as the books were, they were fairly fogettable, and i'm already regretting sticking up for them all those years ago.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

A Doom 3 based movie would absolutely suck! Why not an original Doom based movie? I want to see some demons! Like, REAL demons! Horns and shit! And fire! And violence! Some crucifixes! I want to see hell damnit! GAH!

Normally, people prefer DooM III because "IT R0X!!!!!!!!11111111oneone" than DooM or DooM II. Today's people hate classie games and prefer Counter Strike.
Anyways, I like all the three sequels.

Yeah, the books from what I read of them rocked. Exept they should change the part of them always calling the demons aliens.

killer9 said:

Yeah, the books from what I read of them rocked. Exept they should change the part of them always calling the demons aliens.

It's normal between UAC Marines, they're so experienced with space and they don't believe in Hell. They're just marines.

I guess when Mr. Taggart went into the arena with the icon of sin, he must of thought he was in the mothership.

You can't even buy these retarded books anymore so what is there to really bitch about? The doom movie is going to suck because all video game based movies blow goats. Remember the Super Mario Bros. movie?
EWWWW! So unless they get a really good screen writer things are gonna blow. I know you all want to see the movie true to the game, but it's going to be similar to these retarded books you all like to bitch about all so very much. The books didn't stay true to the game for one main reason. If it were to stay true the game the only character would be the doomguy. The demons don't count as characters because they don't have dialogue. They just die and growl and kill shit. So they don't have any depth to them. It would end up being 4 books of boring first person narrative. So the movie is probably going to suck. Or it will be good, and doom purists will still hate it. To make a good screen play you need to tell a good story, with depth and dialogue as well as blood death and all that. I just hope they get a real solid concept that somewhat resembles doom. That and a really good screen writer who you will all want to murder once the movie comes out. It's funny how that movie CatWoman hasn't come out, I'm not sure if it's finished, but they got up to 18 screenwriters doing rewrites as they got 3/4 through production!

Bottom line: The books are out of print, let them go to hell. The movie will probably blow.

POTGIESSER said:

Remember the Super Mario Bros. movie?

Yea, I do. I don't see where people get off calling that movie bad. Okay, yes, it WAS insanely stupid... but come on, It's based on a game about a plumber who kills people by jumping on their heads, what did you expect? As a straightforeward popcorn flick, I found it fun.

Gotta love that Bob-Omb.

The demons don't count as characters because they don't have dialogue. They just die and growl and kill shit. So they don't have any depth to them.

Errr, actually the games themselves DO suggest a sort of social structure. Don't you remember those scenes where you could walk in on monsters who were all gathered around paying homage to a stronger monster? Or the fact that none of the creatures will fight back against the Arch-Vile?

To make a good screen play you need to tell a good story, with depth and dialogue as well as blood death and all that.

I could argue that... just look at what this year's big hit film was: Van Helsing, which didn't have much more substance to it than the DOOM games. Yet Master & Commander, from last year, didn't make a particularly huge blip as far as I can tell.

Heh, you could also ADD storyline elements and other characters to a doom movie without it becoming like the books..just look at DSM's awesome fanfics..as far as i'm concerned they are the "true" story of doom

JamesEightBitStar said:

Yea, I do. I don't see where people get off calling that movie bad. Okay, yes, it WAS insanely stupid... but come on, It's based on a game about a plumber who kills people by jumping on their heads, what did you expect? As a straightforeward popcorn flick, I found it fun.

Gotta love that Bob-Omb.

Errr, actually the games themselves DO suggest a sort of social structure. Don't you remember those scenes where you could walk in on monsters who were all gathered around paying homage to a stronger monster? Or the fact that none of the creatures will fight back against the Arch-Vile?

I could argue that... just look at what this year's big hit film was: Van Helsing, which didn't have much more substance to it than the DOOM games. Yet Master & Commander, from last year, didn't make a particularly huge blip as far as I can tell.

The bob-omb was most amusing.

Social structure perhaps... but they are mostly there for design reasons rather than expand on a storyline, and naturally there's a heirarchy because there's weak monsters and the strong ones. They could've made the monsters attack the Arch Vile, only they didn't due to design reasons. Where's the fun in having the monsters kill the arch vile for you whilst you hide in a corner?

Big hit? Umm... Shrek 2 is the biggest hit this year movieland. It's grossed a whole crapload of money. Master and Commander was based on an incredibly long drab book, and it blew goats. There's forty pages detailing how they fix the mast on the stupid boat. Now imagine the Van Helsing video game was made before the movie, and then they took that video game and made it into a movie... there would be a huge difference as to how the movie would turn out. It would've been even worse. I'm not saying it was a bad movie either. It had it's moments. It seems likely that the Doom movie is going to be another chronicles of Riddick without Vin Diesel, but chances are, they'll probably just cast him as the Doom dude. Okay probably not very likely. I'm gonna drink beer now.