Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Oh No Its Kyle

Doom Alphas

Someone was talking about taking graphics from the alphas and so I went back and looked at them. I agree, not only should we take the graphics from these alphas and use them, but also the levels!

For example, E1M11 from Alpha 4-2 would, after a bit of editing, make a great deathmatch level. It's big and mazey. I like it, at least. But Id didn't, and removed it from the final version.

So, my question here is how much work would we have to put into making these incomplete levels work correctly in the final versions of Doom? Especially some of the more interesting levels that weren't used or were changed in the final version?

I disagree. A majority of the levels in the alphas are used in Doom 1 or Doom 2. The unused ones (the previously mentioned E1M11) were discarded for a reason. They suck. The only one that could be good for a deathmatch level (after a bit of tweaking) would be 0.4 E1M10.

I don't think it would suck for DM, and some levels are much larger than their real Doom counter parts because they contain new areas that got removed.

Check out Deathz0r's 0.4 Alpha Resource Pack. It has everything ripped very clean from the 0.4 Alpha. Sorry, I don't know the link.

I would be very interested on working on this. My current levels always seem to be a bit retro, with a modern twist. I used to have the alpha wad i think, but have since deleted it. maybe i can find it. let me know if you have any resources.
to check my stuff visit my current projects site, and then look around through the other projects. If anyone edits, and think they would like to help, reply.
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/atmosscreens.html
-jet