Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

Favorite Quake monster

From the Original Quake. Who's your Daddy.

I'm going to go with the Ogre

with the Shambler and skraag coming close.

The Shambler, with the Fiend and Vore with those homing missiles close behind.

The absolute worst monster by far are the Spawn. If you've played it, you know why.

Id have to say the Fiend then the Ogre and Shambler.

I hate those Spawn jobbies Ichor mentioned.

Like Grazza said; none of them really inspired me. I had the most fun killing off the grunts and enforcers. Too bad they're only at the first levels of each episode.

Yeah, when you cant think of something to talk about, start a poll.

Fiends. Shamblers come in second. The rest werent all that interesting.

Hmm yeah, none of them were that good. I'll just go with Vores I guess, ogres and fiends aren't bad either. But yeah, nothing really memorable. Maybe a part of it is that they were so blocky and the textures so lowress, the Doom sprites actually did a better job of representing the monster designs.

The zombies were clearly the funniest, so they're my favorite.

Heh, I played some expansion, or possibly it was a mod... anyway one of the enemies was an ogre cook, who'd smack you with a frying pan. =P

That reminds me of that badass game Pissed Off. Anyone remember that? You played the chef on a ship full of aliens? The highlight of that game was all the cool melee weapons. Frying pans, power drills, etc.

Fiends in terms of function, and vores or scrags in terms of design.

Espi: Nehahra, quite likely. Good mod.

The coolest Quake monster has to be the Fiend, hands down. He's the Baron of Hell of the Quake world. These guys will scare the hell out of you if you happen to be walking down a dark corridor and one just happens to come up on you. They always scare me in moments like that anyway.
As for the most irritating, it's either the Vore (damn homing exploding ball thingy) or the Spawn (what was id thinking?!). It bounces around like a possessed jumping bean and when you kill it, it explodes, which for whatever reason, also HURTS THE PLAYER. Bad id, bad.

Oh No Its Kyle Stumbled in drunk and screamed:
That reminds me of that badass game Pissed Off. Anyone remember that? You played the chef on a ship full of aliens? The highlight of that game was all the cool melee weapons. Frying pans, power drills, etc.

Yeah I remember that game,I had a demo of it back on my Panasonic 3D0

I was playing Quake the other day.... being shoved in a medium-small room with 3 fiends has to rank quite high on my list of frantic game moments.

I actually have four favorites: the greater knight, the plasma rifle grunt, the ogre and the fiend, in no particular order.

On an unrelated note, I really liked the lightning gun. It felt powerful and was fairly original at the time (though the nailguns were too), imo.

1. Shambler
2. Fiend
3. Ogre
4. Death Knight

The spawn is a retarded piece of shit. What was ID thinking?!

Fiend, definately the deadliest if you don't develop tactics to dispach them early in the game. The ogre also.. all of Quake's monsters are cool in their own way.

Yeah, all the Quake monsters had pretty rad auras about them.

The freakiest were probably the Fiend and Vor. The Shambler, Zombies, and Tar Babies made me jump, too.

Tar Babies? Heh.

The first time I saw the Shambler it quite suprised me. I didn't have time to be scared. It was...E1M3, I think. The Gold Key. Stepped forwards, got the key and then bam, there was Mr. Shambler. Big, bloody white....thing with a big bloody toothy mouth and no eyes, huge red claws, and its attacks sounds where, and still are, just so damn cool.
It really can be scary to see one of those things bearing down on you when you're low on health and ammo and are in a dark hallway of some kind.

Shubby.

/me runs again

My favorites are the real beasts, the fiends and shamblers. An encounter with either one all those years ago made me extra cautious. I was even reminded of these monsters while playing Far Cry yesterday (my first playthrough) and getting slashed to death by leaping mutants... eviscerated, even. Those gorilla mutants are always one leap away from being right in your face, either taking your head off with a slash or really screwing up your view. Familiar indeed...

DooMBoy said:

As for the most irritating, it's either the Vore (damn homing exploding ball thingy) or the Spawn (what was id thinking?!). It bounces around like a possessed jumping bean and when you kill it, it explodes, which for whatever reason, also HURTS THE PLAYER. Bad id, bad.

You'd love mission pack #2... you'll find Spawn that can generate copies. I agree that the monster stank, though.