Overall Best Game
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Mario 3
  • Guardian Legend
Biggest Blunder
  • Contra Force
  • Tetris (Nintendo)
  • Battle Toads

Akumajou Densetsu (Japanese Castlevania 3). I prefer this one over the English version, because the music is MUCH better. (Need proof? Get "Bleep!" from neillcorlett.com and a copy of the AKUDEN.NSF music file.)

EDIT: Need to mention my other favorites.

* Super Mario Bros. 3 - I could rarely get this one to start properly on my old NES (it was on its last legs when I got that game), but when it did run, me and my brother would just stay on the first world and battle each other.
* Konami Wai Wai World - I know, I keep picking Japanese games - but the dialog is pretty simplistic and it helps me learn Japanese. And - this is the best part - you can play as Simon Belmont.
* Final Fantasy - Ah, the original. I much prefer the FF Origins (PSX) version, but I can still play the NES version.

EDIT AGAIN: Yes, there WERE 3D games on the NES - pseudo-3D, but still 3D.

* Roadblasters
* 3D Battles of World Runner
* Rad Racer
* Orb 3D

wildweasel-r3000 said:

EDIT AGAIN: Yes, there WERE 3D games on the NES - pseudo-3D, but still 3D.

* Roadblasters
* 3D Battles of World Runner
* Rad Racer
* Orb 3D

Saying those games were even PSEUDO 3D is a lie. They're just isometric 2D games. That's like saying the Doom sprites are 3d because they have scenes all the way around.

My favourites would be:

River City Ransom,
Bionic Commando,
Solar Jetman,
Super Offroad,
World Cup,
Trog,
and Elite, which was probably the most 3D-looking game on the NES.

My five favorite NES games:
1. A Nightmare On Elm Street
What can I say? I'm a Freddy Krueger fan and this game definatly fits. Many refrences to the series of films. It's also set up like a classic arcade game. That aspect of the game kicks so much ass it has made me for a long time want to make a MAME counterpart that would actually go into a cabinate for people to play if I ever get my dream of owning an arcade.

2. Startropics
This awesome game is what set apart Nintendo from everyone else. It was one of the first where you actually had to do something outside of the game to beat it. Now I thought that was novel to have to put the letter in water to find out the passcode. Other than that, the game just rocked!

3. Dragon Warrior
Three words: Fuck Final Fantasy. Dragon Warrior was the shit. The enemys rocked, the puzzles were hard, the storyline was awesome, and the Slimes are the cutest baddies in all of video game history. You just want to pick one up and snuggle it.

4. Maniac Mansion
I don't care what anyone says, this game was the first survival horror game. You walked around solving very Silent Hill esque puzzles that involved abstract thinking while trying to avoid being caught or killed. It was awesome.

5. Friday The 13th
This game kicked so much ass. What was novel about this game that a lot of people over looked was Jason's AI. He just didn't appear randomly but actually searched houses for you. Most people just thought he randomly appeared but he doesn't. A skilled player can actually kill Jason quickly by finding him and following his path. Every few seconds you'd fight him because of the way the game is set up and if you're good at those sidescroller battles... well, the rest is history.

Honorable Mentions: Snake Rattle And Roll, Battletoads, Blaster Master, Deja Vu, Shadowgate

if you don't mention Contra, Rush'n Attack, Jackal, or any Konami games for that matter, you don't deserve to post :)

Scuba Steve said:

Saying those games were even PSEUDO 3D is a lie. They're just isometric 2D games. That's like saying the Doom sprites are 3d because they have scenes all the way around.

pseu·do (adj.) False or counterfeit; fake. (Source: dictionary.com)

It can't be a lie to call them PSEUDO. It's trying to fake a 3D scene; hence, "pseudo" 3D.

I'm sure most of these were 2D, so I will name them. :D (Pretty much my favourite NES games that I can recall. :D)
In no real order.

• Super Mario Bros.2
  • Super Mario Bros.3
  • Snake Rattle'n'Roll
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Battle Chess
  • Excitebike
  • Battletoads
  • Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle
  • Blades of Steal
  • Dr.Mario
  • Kid Icarus
That's all about I can remember. :D

EDIT: How can I forget!
  • Kung-Fu Heroes
I played that game a lot with my brother. :D

5. Friday The 13th
This game kicked so much ass. What was novel about this game that a lot of people over looked was Jason's AI. He just didn't appear randomly but actually searched houses for you. Most people just thought he randomly appeared but he doesn't. A skilled player can actually kill Jason quickly by finding him and following his path. Every few seconds you'd fight him because of the way the game is set up and if you're good at those sidescroller battles... well, the rest is history.

Honorable Mentions: Snake Rattle And Roll, Battletoads, Blaster Master, Deja Vu, Shadowgate

I think everyone pretty much overlooked the entire game in general, and I can understand why. I found it to be one of the most boring, aweful games for NES.

Anyways, Contra is my favorite game on NES.

For SNES, I'd have to say Super Metroid.

AgentSpork said:

I think everyone pretty much overlooked the entire game in general, and I can understand why. I found it to be one of the most boring, aweful games for NES.

Yeah, but thats one person. I know a lot of people in the classic gaming community who said they don't understand why way back when people said Friday The 13th sucked. They think it was either that most likely that people who tried to play it complained it was too hard and didn't care much about anything else or it was a licensed game based on a movie and those "always suck" and figured that Friday The 13th would be no exception. I believe it to be one of the best games to come out on the NES. The music is awesome and definatly matches the mood whenever a certain song plays. The graphics aren't the best in the world but you get the point while you're playing the game. The complex AI and fact Jason can attack you at any second proves to make the game challenging. Each counsoler has a skill the others don't meaning you have to get them all to work together. The hidden weapons and other special bonuses are hard to find but when found net you an easy game and considering how many weapons there are, it isn't as easy of a task as people make it out to be. There is even some puzzle solving, not much, but you have to follow a paper trail to get one of the weapons. There are a lot of fans of the game who find it to be one of the best and most over looked games for the NES. I myself am one. It's just a great game. I wish more came about of it. I think you should replay the game again and at least try to complete the first day and tell me what you think.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

The music is awesome and definatly matches the mood whenever a certain song plays.

I guess your idea of good music consists of the same 4 measures repeated over and over for hours

My defination of good music is anything I can listen to and not get bored while doing so. If that means four measures constantly repeated for hours, then yes. Might I remind you much of techno is the same thing? So if you were trying to insult me, Ralphis, you missed and insulted half the board. :)

I loved Friday the 13th.

Sweater + Mark/Crissy + Pitchfork + 10 medicine bottles = own

anyway, uh where was I

Ninja Gaiden (all 3 of them)

I've only beat 1 and 2, working on 3 but I dunno if I'll ever get through it

Megamans

SMB3

Kirby's Adventure (the GBA version is nicer, but the NES one is fucking good already)

Rambo

TMNT 1,2,3 but my favorite would have to be 3

There very nearly WAS a true 3D game for NES, though. A company was working on an in-cart 3D chip and accessory hardware for a game they were making that would have probably made some early SNES stuff look sad, but unfortunately it got canceled, partly due to the ridiculous cost of all that in-cart hardware.

The NES architecture was so open that you could have placed ANY kind of hardware inside the cartridge or connected to one of the various ports. That's one reason there were so many bizarre peripherals in Japan (and a few here as well).

metroid will always be a favorite, fallowed by mario series (except 2 which i didnt really like), then by commander keen and sonic 2 and 4

Oh No Its Kyle said:

My defination of good music is anything I can listen to and not get bored while doing so. If that means four measures constantly repeated for hours, then yes. Might I remind you much of techno is the same thing? So if you were trying to insult me, Ralphis, you missed and insulted half the board. :)

Uh. I'm referring specifically to that game. Techno music doesn't do that. So might I remind you that your attempt at retaliating failed miserably.

Um, yeah, techno music does do that. I'm going to count how many times the same exact four measures repeats in this techno song, okay? (The song is Audio Ecstacy - Enticement)
Wow.
Also your exact words were "I guess your idea of good music consists of the same 4 measures repeated over and over for hours" and not "I guess your idea of good music consists of the music in that game", so you weren't specificly talking about that game.

4. Maniac Mansion
I don't care what anyone says, this game was the first survival horror game. You walked around solving very Silent Hill esque puzzles that involved abstract thinking while trying to avoid being caught or killed. It was awesome.

The only ways to die were to turn off the water to the nuclear reactor and leave it. Or in the earliest NES release microwave Weird Ed's hamster and give it to him (ew).

tecmo super bowl - awsome season mode, stat tracking, league leader boards, addictive gameplay & QB Bills...all for the NES? damn right!

megaman 2, 3 & 4 - i didn't like the original and never got a chance to play 5 & 6 without an emulator

blaster master

marble madness

contra

battletoads - fuck the 4th level though...err 2nd half of the 3rd level i mean...those bikes...

Quast said:

battletoads - fuck the 4th level though...err 2nd half of the 3rd level i mean...those bikes...

This is exactly why I considered battletoads to be one of the biggest NES game blunders. Levels 1 and 2 you play them and say "Man this game is AWESOME!" Then you race on the bikes and realize just how retarded this game is. I actually managed to play to like leve 09 on an emulator. Some of the levels after the bike are SO bad it's not even funny. Levels like "Race the rat to the bottom or else everything dies or Race on jet bikes like the scooters in 03, except 1000x more impossible. Ugh, what a terrible execution of a game that could have been great.

Scuba Steve said:

Best Graphics

• Batman Return of the Joker
  • Blaster Master
  • Castlevania 3

I have to take issue with castlevania 3 on your list of best graphics. Its not a bad looking game, but there are others in that same 'style' that look so much better. Games like Faxanadu, or the immortal.

Also, if i remember correctly there was at least one game for the nintendo that used true 3d, elite.

Quast said:

You know, I don't think I have ever, in all the years I have had that game, (since I can remember) have never, once beaten that bike level. I should try it again some day. :D