Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi folks!

Do you know the website of doomsdayhq.com ?

There you can download a special DooM modification which allows you to play DooM 1,2 Final Doom, Ultimate Doom,... in modern 3D graphics!

Have a look at these pictures:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/jdoom/demons.jpg
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots/jdoom/decor1.jpg

edit: I've posted this thread in the wrong forum. Sorry :( Please transfer it into WADs and mods

What a discovery! I never knew about Jdoom! This is so cool! Why didn't I download it earlier?

/\ pure sarcasm :-P

Unrelated:
There is this cool new section of doomworld that I just found. It's called post hell and I think that when threads die they go there.
Check it out everyone!

Wow.. That second screenshot looks like PhotoShop Lense Flare Hell, or something.

Thank god it doesn't actually look like that. Why did you choose development screens from an extremely old version of Doomsday for your pimp?

It's OK, Doom1 monsters suck in 3D :(
The transparent fire balls suck =`(
But aside from that it's pretty sweeeet!
Except the gun shot halos which suck ;(

I know,Some of the models are very good,But others just look fugly.Although most of them look better if you enable "right hold weapons" since you can actually see some model detail.

stoned said:

Damn those models look awful. Doom just works better with sprites.

Hmm. If they would be more hi-res instead of lo-poly (like about 4000 polys or so) they would look much better, tough then JD would run very horribly slow.

DaniJ said:

Thank god it doesn't actually look like that. Why did you choose development screens from an extremely old version of Doomsday for your pimp?

1. because he's a moron
2. These appear to be 'official' considering the site they are on. I wouldn't advertise my product with such awful pictures.

These appear to be 'official' considering the site they are on. I wouldn't advertise my product with such awful pictures.

Yeah I know. I'll ask Skyjake if he can put some better ones up because the 'current' ones were taken over a 4 versions ago!

Janderson - You can turn those off if you don't like em.

If they would be more hi-res instead of lo-poly (like about 4000 polys or so) they would look much better, tough then JD would run very horribly slow.

That would be totally unplayable on ANY current hardware. I can't think of any game in existance that can handle as many enemies as Doom, at once, in 3D with that high a poly count. Even Painkiller comes nowhere near Doom in terms of number of monsters on screen.

That's exactly what I meant. At that time I forgot about levels such as AV map 26. Playing that one with even 80 poly models would hurt most computers.

DaniJ said:

Even Painkiller comes nowhere near Doom in terms of number of monsters on screen.

Wait a second. What about Serious sam? 1000 enemies at once, and what, no hangups. If Jdoom would have model LOD (level of detail) (it means that if the enemy is far from You his number of polys is reduced, so if You see about 80 enemies at once and their standard models have about 700 polys than in a far distance they would have 120 or so, a thing that definately helps to speed up a computer), then yes, playing agains a 3d legion of hell would be possible.

Who says you can't have good looking models that are only 400 polys? Dani's been pushing out some pretty good looking models that aren't super hi-poly. If you can make a good lo-poly model that looks almost as good as the hi-poly one, then go for the lower poly-count.

True. Doomsday's dmd model format supports 4 LODs but if that was increased to around 8 then much higher polycounts would be possible.

No Doomsday uses an invisible cube for collision detection, the models have no impact on it at all.

...which is cool because you kill zombies from around the corner. :D

And I second the hires thing. It looks aboslutely beautiful, with all the addon packs lik DRP, D2RT, etc. it almost looks realistic.
The only problem being that while these graphics look good it makes your computer run like ass.

Get a better comp? Nah, boost it! I'm saving my money for RAM now! I can't stand Jdoom's beauty killing my poor machine, so I'm going to boost it. And not only for that..

If I want 3d models I'll go play Quake. Sprites look waaaaaay better for Doom than MD2s do, IMO.