Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the official spyware thread

well lets share our stories and hatred for this curse apon the internet. personaly it was one factor that drove me away from windows. though i am sure spyware for unix linux is in development as we speak, however i dout it will ever be the headache it has become for windows users.

my dad's system at the moment is trashed with spyware. i just spent a few days working on that damn network issue and he destroys it in a day looking for strip clubs in vegas, among the many cathouse sites i found. while i dont care what he does, i do care that he is introducing harmful elements onto my network. I own all the equipment and i pay for my own service.

either way it is a massive head ache. and the spyware/viruses he introduced are being a total bitch to destroy. thus once i do get it clean he is gonna be banned from my network for 1 week and or pay half this months bill. also he is gonna be forced to have 'net nanny' installed on his system as well as high secuirty. this is the last time.

he cant bitch cause i own the netwrok. he wanted AOL broadband, what a dumbass!

Since you're so obviously keen on *nix stylings why haven't you implemented Windows limited user accounts on your precious network?

That and a regularly updated anti-virus has kept my parents computers squeaky clean.

cause i am lazy...nuff said. actually just havent had much time to do that sort of thing. i was gonna update my main system first. between 2 jobs now so that will not get done until this week end

i am good at keeping all the virus scans and adware/spybots up to date. as well as security patches. however it helps to aviod common hijacking and spyware sites. also i made the mistake of saying IE will be fine for the next few days

Id seriously suggest switching from IE to Firefox. I switched over a few weeks ago and the worst you get is a few cookies. I got totally fed up with IE. Firefox is free and you don't have to switch OS's. heh. I only load IE when some site won't display properly. Theres a few minor things I don't care about Firefox but thats only because I'm so used to IE.

Get a proper anti-virus/firewall program and quit your biatching ya lazy git.

dsm said:

Get a proper anti-virus/firewall program and quit your biatching ya lazy git.

YES!

I'm getting just a wee bit sick of these spyware threads now. It happens, you can deal with it, life moves on. Hey, if you spent less time on the internet, you'd get less spyware too! So the onus would seem to be on getting spybot/ad-aware, and then, A LIFE.

oh, really? spybot doesn't work. some program will STILL find its way in and kick your ass. happened to me. and spywareblaster? not a chance.

what kind of fucking websites do you guys visit...christ, I haven't had an instance of spyware/malware/ect. in damn near two years

My computer's infested with spyware and other crap like that. >:( I run ad-aware before I turn off my computer. It catches a whole lotta shit, but my computer is still fucked up. Damn, I hate spyware/adware.

my friend just ran spybot S&D on our other friend's computer

596 files found combined.

I had the "Gator Bug" or "GAIN" for about a month and a half before someone finally told me about Ad-Aware. It was very annoying because each morning I found a new 30-day trial program on my desktop and my firewall kept bugging me with popups saying "Do you wish to allow GAIN?" Then even when I said "I recognize this program, please don't notify me again" I still got popups. But, it's all gone now.

The University (if the shit can be called that) of Phoenix ad is retarded. The ad service is provided by bonzi.com, in case anyone'd like to block it off individually.

I just had a close encounter with a new kind of annoyware, that set my desktop to display a web-page. It took my quite a while to figure out that desktops could display web-pages, but I got it in the end. It did give me a scare, though.

I'll give 'em that - they do have creative ideas when it comes to annoyware. There's a kind of pop-up that is 'added' on top of a regular page, adjusting it's size to your resolution. It'll seem like you've landed on a different site, but when you scroll down, you'll see the site you intended to visit.

Has anyone had these two experiences, as well?

be warned if you download AIM and such, it now comes packed with weatherbug, a program with GAIN/gator

I remember using Weatherbug, or perhaps a variation of it, when it first came out. It didn't have any spyware in it back then and it was actually quite useful. However, once the novelty wore off, I dumped it (with no after-effects by the way). It was a program that installed a nifty little item on your systray which displays the current temperature. Click on it and you can get the local conditions, and even a picture of the sky from the local news station.

God dammit! I just got raped anally with FUCKware. I went to this really cool site that had lots of music and it was cool, but when I left I got infinite popups about secondthought internet enhancer. I rean CWshredder, Ad-aware, and S&D to kill it, but it will probably be back to rape me anally once more.

Csonicgo said:

oh, really? spybot doesn't work. some program will STILL find its way in and kick your ass. happened to me. and spywareblaster? not a chance.

Damn straight, brother. Amen to that! Nothing will ever kill spyware for good. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.

as a joke someone should make the spyware super pack. all the installers for all major spyware programs. but please remember to kiss your system good buy if you use it