Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

what are they?

i have goten about 12 cd-rom drives. I know for sure that 4 are SCSI, but the others i am not quit so sure. They have a IDE sized plug. well if it will help some of the drives are 10 years old! all of them work but i dont know what interface they are. I have both SCSI and IDE systems so i dont care what they are i just need to know.

You can never have enough CD-ROM drives.

Well, you can never have enough SCSI CD-ROM drives. IDE drives... well, you've got enough at 3 (you gotta have an HD in there, too).

Personal dilemma: The CD-rom that came with this Gateway reman. job proved defective after about 6 months, so I got a good DVD drive to put in the other slot. Now I'm wondering if I should replace the original drive with a CD-RW. Any suggestions?

if all the dirves are IDE, u can only have to IDE drives on a single IDE controller. as for SCSI u can have up to 12. personaly i am not puting all 12 in one computer. I think they may all be SCSI but oh well. replace the original drive u have no choice, unless u have 3 IDE controlers. the hard dirve(s) should be kept in their own IDE controler, it works best that way.

IDE drives... well, you've got enough at 3 (you gotta have an HD in there, too).

That's assuming you only have one computer to put them in.

You can easily check if they are SCSI drives by looking at the connectors.

SCSI 1 and SCSI 2/Ultra SCSI have 50 pin connectors
SCSI 3 Wide SCSI and Ultra Wide SCSI have 68 pin connectors
SCA connectors (single connection attachment) have 80 pins.

Hop over to
http://scsifaq.paralan.com/scsifaqanswers.html#6

print it out and you have a great bathroom lecture

It's interesting to note that different forms of SCSI have different amounts of drives that can be on a single cable and also different maxiumum cable lengths. We learned a harsh lesson about that at my house. >_<

It's interesting to note that different forms of SCSI have different amounts of drives that can be on a single cable and also different maxiumum cable lengths. We learned a harsh lesson about that at my house. >_<

... and there are still some effects in SCSI that are not reported and some facts tht you simply have to believe and nobody can tell you why it is so - sigh.

For example the termination: Sometimes a system runs only when one of the end terminators is removed (which is strictly against all SCSI rules.

And when you want to get the maximum performance, you need to buy all cables of the same type, same length from the same manufacturer, because different cables have different wiring and different imperdance. Plus if you have only one slower drive in the chain, the whole efforts are wasted, since "a fleet is only as fast as the slowest ship".

And some "drives" do not like each others.

I remember a LAN party I went to. We were having network problems, and my friend Patrick fixed it but reversing the connection of a single wire.

I lost it when that happened.

I lost it when that happened.

Oh yeah? Some years ago I had a LAN party with some friends of mine and the net wouldn't work either. We fixed it by playing the very same .MID (each one's copy, of course) at the same time. We got a spooky "surround" music, of course, but the net started working after that. We repeated the experience 3 times across that week and it worked too.

What I am it's pretty much defined by that moment.

Personal dilemma: The CD-rom that came with this Gateway reman. job proved defective after about 6 months, so I got a good DVD drive to put in the other slot. Now I'm wondering if I should replace the original drive with a CD-RW. Any suggestions?

Go for the CD-RW, great for backups and such. Some now as low as about 70$.

Ack! All this talk of computers is hurting my head!
/me runs to get some aspirin

Cyanide's just carbon and nytrogen. The actual poison is Cyanide Pothasium (spelling?)

Use hemlock. Hundreds of dead Greek philosophers can't be wrong! Paid for by the Hemlock Society, http://www.hemlock.org