Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Destructable Terrain

Similar to how Red Faction was done, do you think it's possible to have complete destructable terrain with the advanced Doom 3 engine being made? If it is, it would own so much.

It's a cool idea... but:

DESTRUCTABLE TERRAIN = LEES DETAILED LEVELS.

Do you really want to loose all the cool detail?

Carmack already stated it won't be there unless it's scripted.

Why? Because the levels look so goddamn photorealistic (his words, not mine) that a algorythm based tesselation technique would replace those cool enviroments for misaligned textures, a terrible lack of detail, etc etc.

Imagine, blowing up a stone wall is easy, just some rocky texture for the new edges, but what about machinery? Each specific board, circuitry, valve, metal part and shit should be either calculated by the engine (impossible with today's computing power) or generated by the artits (the most painful experience).

Anyone that played Red Faction knows how bad the blasted zone looks. Yeah, it's cool, but it just looks bad.

Ah, that is too bad, but I rather have mega awsome eyecandy, than mediocre eyecandy with destructable terrain.

Speaking of that posts title, what's the big deal? We're talking about engine shit in this specific thread.

One might think destructable terrain is a gameplay plus. Is it really? Red Faction wasted it to create GODDAMN MINES AND MILITARY BASES!!!

QUAKE 2 JUST CALLED, HE WANTS HIS FUCKING ENVIROMENTS BACK!

So what's wrong with mines and military bases? Quake 2 stole them from DESCENT. Then Descent stole the rail-gun.
Red Factions rail driver is by far the best, because it actually goes through walls. :)

Red Factions rail driver is by far the best, because it actually goes through walls. :)

I only wish it could hold more ammo...

Whatever gives you that idea?

The whole military base theme was born from DOOM, which in part stole it from the Alien movies.

NO, THE MILITARY STARTED THE MILITARY BASE THEME.

NO, THE MILITARY STARTED THE MILITARY BASE THEME.

But, the whole idea of a miltary came from the idea of a need for a leader.

<goatse> RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTSSSS, BLOOOOOOOOOODY ROOOOOOOOOOOTTTTOTOOTOTOTOWOW@R@H(W^G(^*@^$^(&# & ** & ) )_ () (**^ &* DOG CAT )*(*(#$((&)*(_$(#_RROOOOOOOOOWAAR
<goatse> RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTSSSS, BLOOOOOOOOOODY ROOOOOOOOOOOTTTTOTOOTOTOTOWOW@R@H(W^G(^*@^$^(&# & ** & ) )_ () (**^ &* DOG CAT )*(*(#$((&)*(_$(#_RROOOOOOOOOWAAR
*** Cacodemon_Leader sets mode: +v goatse
<goatse> hoowaayyrr
*** goatse is now known as macdrunk
<Cacodemon_Leader> Hey mac
<macdrunk> nnrr
*** macdrunk is now known as macvilesmashesed
<macvilesmashesed> rr nded carrpchina cffoee
<macvilesmashesed> rrrr????%
* Cacodemon_Leader gives mac some of his own macwellhouse coffee
<macvilesmashesed> thrnk ygu daathu

/me takes out a rocket launcer and puts a hole in this thread

Damn, sometimes I wish I had Mod status.

Anywaste, I think fully destructable terrain is dumb, because then you can just blast a hole to the exit, bypassing anything of intrest on the level.

Because regular VISing methods work shit now. You could punch thousands of little holes everywhere until the engine had to spit all triangles in the level. Even Red Faction limited drastically the amount of destruction you can make by allowing you to :

A) Destroy pretty pipes
B) Destroy specific walls like in BUILD

A Kyro would be the ideal choice to play games like these, because while it takes in consideration every triangle in the scene (the process ussually handled by the CPU and now by the T&L), it's tile-based rendering system only draws those triangles in the scene. That means a huge performance boost in these kind of games, where only visible triangles are rendered, not visible leafs (a leaf is a convex volume enclosed by several triangles). Too bad the Kyro and the KyroII don't support all those pretty things so important for next-gen games. Oh well, maybe Nvidia will put this feature on the GF4...

When NVIDIA bought 3DFX, they also received all their work on Rampage and even the chip after it (which was supposed to have tile - rendering).

I am sure NVIDIA will use this technique in the future (TileForce 4 anyone?).

"Who's the short man with no money ?"
I'm here for you...
Coleman confidential on UGO.COM !

GOD DAMMIT DOOMWORLD GET NEW BANNERS AAARGHLLLL1111

WTF? WHY? IT'S BACK!!!!!(%&#%

You know, if this shit keeps up I might just click the damn thing one of these days.

Its worse than that 'spank the monkey' thing that gives you fake money...I actually fell for that twice...shame on me.

Remember Prey? That game had it up and running with environments at least as detailed as Quake 3...