Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

On a Rampage

After three years in the making, [OFoD]Doom Rampage has released the ZDoom megawad of his own name, Doom, Rampage Edition. If you haven't heard of it before, I'm not surprised; I didn't hear about it until a few months ago. This project is pretty unique in the fact that you play as a Baron of Hell instead of a Marine. I believe it requires using ZDoom 47i - no 63a for this one, at least not yet. The download weighs in at 65MB, probably setting a new record. Be sure to check this one out, even if you do have a 56K modem.

Very strange wad so far.... perhaps because the shotgun and chaingun don't use up ammo, even though boxes of it are provided.

EDIT: Then I get to map03... warp to map04 and map05... and can now understand why this wad is so large. Nice music...

Heh, I was really looking forward to this project, but now that I've played it... I hate it. I cant stand the level design. The mp3s used, though not necessarily terrible, were never meant to be looped and are a headache as such.

Ah well, too bad.

I'm getting an Error 403 - access forbidden screen when I try to download the file. Anyone else having this problem?

Yep.
The guy who made the project probably read Amasters post and took it off the Internet. :P

Maybe someone would temporarily host it on a working link?

Save your bandwidth lads. It's shit. Boring newbie level design, no new resources (everything is stolen, including some very illegal "real" songs) and banal and repetitive gameplay.

JoelMurdoch said:

Save your bandwidth lads. It's shit. Boring newbie level design

I guessed so from the screenshots. But I'll probably download it anyway, just to see how bad it really is :P At least when the download is back up (I'm getting a "forbidden" too).

Played up to Map10 now and from what I've seen so far, it's a pretty good idea, but can stand some serious refining.

I love the novel idea of your megawad; but the level design and enemy balance is sub-par. Make no mistake about it, some parts do look nice, namely the early parts of map02... but as for the rest, they're mostly plain-textured corridors and barren rooms, nuff' said. I'm sure you meant to make this megawad in the fashion of arcade-Contra where ammo and health isn't the concern, but somehow the rewarding feeling of clearing the level isn't there; the 999-HP capacity might have something to do with this.

The idea of being a Baron is awesome, and maybe now that you got the idea developed; more focus on the level-design and gameplay?

EDIT: I hate the music.

It wasn't that bad, and alot of people seem to like it. However the level design wasn't very good and needed some improvement. I'm hoping in DRE2 he will do so.

Job said:

Maybe someone would temporarily host it on a working link?

I agree. It seems that the site where the wad was hosted went down or something, so it's unavailable.

Bah too late I seem to have missed it. No one else has a working link? This would be fun to play regardless of architecture.

So it's huge size is due to MP3s that apparently suck and are copyrighted? Amazing! :O

Edit : Those same MP3s cause them to run out of bandwidth so nobody can even download the thing. Oops!

Moral of the story : Don't use a gazillion MP3s in your megawad :P

Could someone who's already got the file set up a bittorrent, maybe? That way, those of us who only got the "Forbidden" error could also receive the file. :)

ROFL indeed. How about stripping the MP3's (apparently nobody likes them anyway) and upload it to the /idgames archives?

Noes! cANRNT TaIK Out MP3'zzz!!!1, Tehnn it WOOD B GayLOL!

-The creator

So there you have it, wait 4 months and the site will work again, and about...10 people will be able to download it before the site goes down again, genius!