Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer9

Mmorpg doom?

God, that would kick so much ass it if somebody would make a massively multiplayer doom game. I would pay good money to play that. Anybody making something remotely similar to that now?

killer9, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Jesus. I'm not making one, I can't make anything remotely close to a playable level. I'm asking if anybody is making something like that.

Ralphis said:

killer9, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

There was absolutely no need for that.

...And of what exactly would we be capable, using the Doom engine under MMO netcode?

Bashe, before you get angry with Ralphis, check to make sure your Sarcasm detector is functioning properly. Should your sarcasm detector be disabled, call a local repair man for help or purchase a new one available online. Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of Sarcasm detectors in use, and it should not be difficult to attain one or ask for help from a local moderator or super-moderator.

Yeah, it would be pretty cool. You could have a base established at Earth, sort of a control center. They take care of supplies on Mars and whatnot. You could be a Z sec soldier, an engineer, a medic, or something else, then all hell breaks loose. And everyone has to make it through helping eachother out. Sounds great.

I actually had a dream where I was playing a doom online game that used zdoom. It was kinda neat. I was leveling up my pistol skill by killing weird gray bat things in an underground tunnel. The tunnel it's self was mainly for training new recrutes, so I must have been a n00b. :/ There was a elevator nearby that I remembered would take me to a cool looking uac base on mars, or some odd red planet. I ironically, I had never actually been in that base as my dream started with me in the tunnels. There were a few other people in the tunnel with me, but they were higher level and kept kill stealing from me. I woke up soon after that. Was thinking of making a level based on the areas I remember in that dream too... :D

Scuba Steve said:

Bashe, before you get angry with Ralphis, check to make sure your Sarcasm detector is functioning properly. Should your sarcasm detector be disabled, call a local repair man for help or purchase a new one available online. Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of Sarcasm detectors in use, and it should not be difficult to attain one or ask for help from a local moderator or super-moderator.

FU BICH!

J/K my sarcasm meter was broken.

It would be fairly easy to make a MMORPG Doom thingy if any online Doom mod had some sort of ACS-accessible file I/O, unfortunately none do.

Scuba Steve said:

ROFL

Quast said:

Planetside?

Yeah, like planetside, except Doom so it wouldn't use as much memory.

killer9 said:

God, that would kick so much ass it if somebody would make a massively multiplayer doom game. I would pay good money to play that. Anybody making something remotely similar to that now?

I think you meant to say in your title MMOFPS. I'm not sure what the name is for games like WW2 Online: Blitzkrieg and Planetside, but that just what I call em anyways. if it were an MMORPG it would suck. MMOFPS might be a little strange, but I'm sure someone would buy it.

Edit: Typos

I wish I knew if they were called MMOFPS or not. Thats what I've always called them though. Massive Multiplayer Firt Person Shooter.

Shit, I feel so dumb for calling it a rpg. I was thinking of something like everquest and forgot to put fps instead of rpg. Can I change the title to the thread?

Imp said:

It's DOOM a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. NOT A RPG!

There has been at least one MMOFPS for a long time now. Planet Side. And I think it's a rather great idea, myself. Massively multiplayer doesn't automatically carry the RPG title at the end of it.

Just make a gigantic fucking map,And have towns scattered about,And make the towns have buildings with guns and items,And in order to get to rooms in the store with better items you need to find keys and such around the landscape.And set the item
respawn time to like 2 minutes.

I was actualy working on an MMORPG for Zdoom
but the project crapped out when we couldnt find a programmer to do some of the stuff that would be required (one of the major hurddles was the HUB system: being that players that exit the map cause ALL players to exit it)

What about a RTS Doom? Someone back in I don't remember which year, made a pic with photoshop I guess, showing a battle RTS style. Implying marines against one or two cybies and some mancubuses (or mancubii). It appeared on the late Doomnation.com.

I think I have the pic somewhere, if I can find it, I'll scan and post it here.