• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Big Mac with Legacy

sgtcrispy said:

Damn Legacy bashers...

If Legacy didn't have so many 'issues' they wouldn't exist.

It may have some issues, but I have seen some much buggier engines than Legacy has.

AgentSpork said:

It may have some issues, but I have seen some much buggier engines than Legacy has.

I think Doom95 is more stable than Legacy. Hell, a source port in its alpha stage is more stable compared to Legacy.

AgentSpork said:

Me too. Vavoom! ;-)

Graf Zahl said:

Me too. Vavoom! ;-)

Vavoom runs fine on my computer but Legacy keeps crashing every five seconds.

The only use of Legacy is for new people who want to play "any old wads" off the archive and dont know how to make batch files, so they use the launcher (shame none of the other ports have decent, easy to understand launchers), after that they move to Zdoom, PRboom or one of the other stable ports

Actually I find Legacy very stable.
Its crashes seems to be related to the different computer configs.

Also I use software and not OpenGL... could it be other people's problem ?

'Issues' does not necessarily mean crashes. I have absolutely no problem running Legacy. Of course the sound volume issue is my biggest problem with it but not the only one. There are also the smaller and bigger compatibility problems that keep me away from it. It's no fun having to check each map before playing whether it contains Legacy-incompatible stuff or not.

Legacy runs fine on my machine in both opengl and software. Its very stable on my machine, exept on some maps that have crappy, poorly built nodes that crash it with a "Signal Handler-Segmentation Violation" error in software. Other than that its fine, exept for the usual opengl bugs.

I seriously think that the Launcher should be exempt from the next release.
I've never had a problem with legacy, segfaults for me are caused by errors in the map, or scripting problems. In fact, I know when i've made a mistake, as a mapper and a scripter, by when it segfaults.

Oh, and nothing is less stable than doom95, it's next to impossible.

Besides, most bugs that people around here encounter are known about, and do have work arounds, yet no one ever asks for help over at the legacy forum. Funny how that works....

iori said:

Besides, most bugs that people around here encounter are known about, and do have work arounds, yet no one ever asks for help over at the legacy forum. Funny how that works....

Why should I bother to work around known bugs that aren't fixed? I'd rather use better software, it's as easy as that. I can play vanilla/Boom levels with a few other source ports that I find better than Legacy so that leaves the few Legacy only maps (which translates to Nimrod.)

How DARE the legacy team produce something in their spare time and maintain it in the face of criticism; which doesn't meet our standards? They should be publically shamed and humiliated.

Jon said:

How DARE the legacy team produce something in their spare time and maintain it in the face of criticism; which doesn't meet our standards? They should be publically shamed and humiliated.

I like your sarcastic tone dude :)

that's right we should bash/flame people that spend hours of free time to code some ports for us, ungrateful morons.

Flaming is bad but that doesn't mean we should not be allowed to criticise the persistent nature of certain 'issues', especially when they have been existing for a long time but no sign of them being fixed can be seen.

Graf Zahl said:

Flaming is bad but that doesn't mean we should not be allowed to criticise the persistent nature of certain 'issues', especially when they have been existing for a long time but no sign of them being fixed can be seen.

Have you reported the bug on the SF bug system? Is it assigned to a developer? Have you tried fixing it yourself?

Jon said:

Have you reported the bug on the SF bug system? Is it assigned to a developer? Have you tried fixing it yourself?

Why should I bother reporting bugs that everybody knows of? Like:

- missing Voodoo dolls
- system sound volume setting is changed
- Lost Soul limit for PE has been removed without any option to re-enable it.

It's pointless anyway because the response to two of these issues was 'Maybe in the C++ version.'

Sorry, but I really don't care enough because I don't use Legacy anymore. There just aren't enough Legacy specific maps out there and for everything else I have better choices. The fact that I can't register at the Newdoom forums doesn't help much either.

Graf Zahl said:

Why should I bother reporting bugs that everybody knows of?

Well you can't complain about stuff if you don't do anything about it. A bit like complaining about the government if you didn't bother voting.

Graf Zahl said:

Sorry, but I really don't care enough because I don't use Legacy anymore.

If you don't use it, why criticise it? Additionally would you even notice bugs you complain about being fixed?

Graf Zahl said:

The fact that I can't register at the Newdoom forums doesn't help much either.

Oh, wait - I'm sorry. You are absolved.

hey jon, just to satisfy my own personal curiosity, how many of the old (circa. 2000, 2001) legacy regulars are still involved with the port? I know rellik is still about (but on hiatus), but do Bongio, Monkey & co. still hang about at newdoom?

Jon said:

If you don't use it, why criticise it? Additionally would you even notice bugs you complain about being fixed?

Of course I would. It's hard to miss a new release and each time it happens the first thing I do is grab the source and compare it to the last release.

It's not that I'm not interested in Legacy - it's just that I wouldn't use it for most vanilla maps anyway since I've gotten used to ZDoom by now. If some improvements are done this might change however.

darknation said:

hey jon, just to satisfy my own personal curiosity, how many of the old (circa. 2000, 2001) legacy regulars are still involved with the port? I know rellik is still about (but on hiatus), but do Bongio, Monkey & co. still hang about at newdoom?

I dunno. I got gasumpted as web guy by wmull (aka control freak) when rellik went AWOL. I've never been happy with the C++ direction things are going in so I've not really kept up-to-date.

Maybe I can answer...

Boingo's there a lot, all the time in fact. Monkey is in the Rants and Raves forum mostly, and has just recently returned. Rellik is off the net for a while (so I hear), something to do with his ISP.

Never had a problem with Legacy,In fact I find I get more lag on public Zdaemon servers then when playing a game hosted by a friend on Legacy.I had a virtually flawless 8 person co-op over DooM Connector on Legacy last night.

Sign in to follow this