Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Yesterday's evening work at my PRBoom modification: +walkcam

Available on http://www.geocities.com/e6y/doom.html
New features from usage.txt:

1) Main Menu\Options\Setup\Key Bindings (on last page)
PLAY DEMOS
Walk Camera - Alt
The first pressing allows to look around (does not disconnect the camera from the player)
The second pressing - disconnects the camera from the player

2) Main Menu\Options\Setup\Status Bar / HUD (on last page)
ADDITIONAL
Smart Totals - yes/no
CHANGE PALETTE
on damage - yes/no
on bonus - yes/no
on powers - yes/no
Red eyes really annoying me at record my TAS demos

There are some known bugs and mistakes. I'll correct them tonight and inform you. Write to me if you have any problems or find bugs

If they are necessary for you - I'll send you
They too big to place them on a geocities.com
I'll write it in a sources.txt

Fantastic news! Hard to think how this could be made much better (apart from a "monsters alive" counter).

Regarding releasing the source, presumably this is something that could be uploaded to the archive. (There is a source area.)

Thanks, Grazzza.

apart from a "monsters alive" counter

hud_distributed 1
hud_active 2
screenblocks 11

isn't it what you want?

Unless I'm missing something, isn't that just the standard monsters killed counter? It doesn't enable you to be sure that you have killed all resurrected monsters, and in coop only says how many monsters each player has killed.

A "monsters alive" counter would only reach zero when all monsters (apart from lost souls) had been killed - obviously very useful to verify Max demos (and especially coop Max demos).

entryway said:

ahh
I've understood
It not a problem

It IS a problem ! That's a simple feature that all prot programmer don't think about. That's the single and only way to know if you did a max coop correctly.

Andrey : AdamH's new timer includes TXT output when playing a demo which creates a complete time table with all kind of info :
- kills / items / secrets
- time / total time
- alive monsters
- minimum maximum health
- average player speed
- top player speed

I could be wrong, but I assumed Andrey meant that it wouldn't be a problem for him to implement it.

I definitely meant that it's not a problem to implement such feature. I'm playing Doom too long to be wrong.

entryway said:

I'm playing Doom too long to be wrong.

?
?
?
That sounds like Badfish or even Xit Vono :)

or just some wrong sentence construction :)

entryway said:

If they are necessary for you - I'll send you
They too big to place them on a geocities.com
I'll write it in a sources.txt

Why not create a <a href="http://sf.net">sourceforge.net</a> project? Considering that there seem to be quite a couple of modifications floating around, that might be a nice idea, anyway...

Grazza said:

I could be wrong, but I assumed Andrey meant that it wouldn't be a problem for him to implement it.

Download the new version and try it at viewing single or coop demos with "Smart Totals YES" and
hud_distributed 1
hud_active 2
screenblocks 11

Main Menu\Options\Setup\Status Bar / HUD (on last page)
ADDITIONAL
Smart Totals - yes/no

Monsters resurrected by Arch-Vile are not taken into account for kills calculation.
Statusbar format:
STS K <killed by green> [+ <killed by gray> + <killed by brown> + <killed by red>] + <killed by unknown> =killscount/totalmonsters ...

Send me a non-working demo that shows a bug if you find it.

I think Vince's dreams are starting to come true :)

Haven't seen this mod yet, but sounds really great.

Donce said:

Hmm... Only few lines of a code (if it works)

I heard cph is going to change prBoom's HUD a little bit.
He's going to remove the stupid Kills/total counter and use :
- alive monsters
- total killed
- total monsters present at start

This way the new prboom will be perfect to playback coop max demos (with the alive counter) and coop -respawn demos (with the total killed counter) (if anybody decides to do some coop respawns:)

VinceDSS said:
AdamH's new timer includes TXT output when playing a demo which creates a complete time table with all kind of info :
- kills / items / secrets
- time / total time
- alive monsters
- minimum maximum health
- average player speed
- top player speed

Is it DOSDoom-based like the first one?

I know AdamH has a 100% workable dosdoom version timer for a while. (He used it to check my 30fanet1, an example of the TXT output is there). But for reasons I ignore, he never released it.

Now it seems he is working on a prboom version of timer (which was formerly developped by df).

People have been asking for an alive monster counter or 100% v1.9 compatible timer.exe for ages... but still it's not there.

I hope the DOS version can be released... I mean, I understand that many people watch demos on Windows XP or whatever, and so a PrBoom-based port of Timer becomes relevant (plus it may add some features.) But COMPET-N is based on DOS engines, so the DOSDoom version is always a choice for players.

Well, I'd like to see it if it's ever truly ready, anyway.

It would have already been released if AdamH wanted to do so.
Maybe he doesn't want because of cheating possibility ?

Donce said:

Not really, even though It seems to work, I am still very skeptic.

There's nothing better than seeing the "Zero" shown by an alive counter :\

VinceDSS said:
It would have already been released if AdamH wanted to do so.
Maybe he doesn't want because of cheating possibility ?

Beats me... actually, the original Timer is under the GPL? If not, and if releasing the source is a problem, he can keep the code... personally I care only for the binaries in this case.

myk said:

Beats me... actually, the original Timer is under the GPL? If not, and if releasing the source is a problem, he can keep the code... personally I care only for the binaries in this case.

yeah me too... :.(

Improvement for Andrey's prboom.

The HUD is not easy to read, it could be spread all around the sreen.

I'd like to get a version when having the regular status bar.
(with the current version you need to be in full screen to get the stats).

In this case :
- bottom screen : regular stat bar
- upper right corner in order : "alive monsters" "total killed/total present at start" (count respawned and revived ones too, pls no fancy Green+Indi+infight, too hard to read)
one line under : level time
one more line under : added level time for prev levels
- other corners could used for % game speed and current player speed

no need for secrets or items, it's not very usefull, and you get that on the end level stat screen.

another suggestion : would be cool to have an icon appear when a player is using SR50... so that you know when someone is using it for some parts :) (like for some jumps)

VinceDSS said:

another suggestion : would be cool to have an icon appear when a player is using SR50... so that you know when someone is using it for some parts :) (like for some jumps)

Cool idea. And/or an extension of it: an option have the exact details of each gametic (as in LMPC; e.g., "GF50 SL50 TR3 FW", etc.) displayed at all times. Most useful if you're watching in slomo, I imagine.

"Current player speed" would be great. Very useful for figuring out how player movement really works.

I'd say leave the items and secrets as they are. They've been there since Boom, and it would seem kind of wrong to remove them (it should be optional to remove them, at any rate).

the only standard feature that is yet to be in a source port that I'd like to see is a display of the monster/opponent's health.
Virgil's recent zdoom wad does this actually, but only with the bosses(and only 1 monster at a time).
perhaps you'd have to have another integer for every monster health variable(so it would probably be a pain to implement), but it would be cool to see.
hmm... maybe I should install visual studio....

The game obviously has to store every opponent's health value all the time anyway, so there would be no extra storage needed. It would just be a matter of printing some text at the on-screen position of the monster. If I was familiar with the Doom code I'd do it myself, but I really haven't looked at it much.

DEMOn said:

the only standard feature that is yet to be in a source port that I'd like to see is a display of the monster/opponent's health.

Ah, like the MindReader mod for UT (and presumably others too). That also gave information about what the enemy was targeting (and other stuff too).