Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroGamer

Improved Doom

Hello, avid doomers. I have been out of this community for a long time now, mostly for school (Well, maybe I passed unnoticed, but I was here). Anyway, I loaded up my old Doom and Doom 2 again, but I sincerely forgot what to download to improve the games. I hope you guys could give me a few pointers into what's new, what could I download and whatnot.

Above all, keep DooMing! (sue me, Hank Leukart)

It all depends on how long you have been out :). But here are some interesting links that may be of interest... zdoom.org current zdoom version is 2.63 with 2.64 under way. doombuilder.com a kick ass doom level editor. sbsoftware.com home of deepsea, another kick ass doom editor you may know of. There have been alot of stuff, just look around :D

I'm guessing that you're talking about source ports. The most popular ones are ZDoom and JDoom. There are also many others to choose from.

just aviod win95.exe or the port that comes with newer issues of doom. like collectors editon.
this port sucks

i would sudgest zdoom

a break down of features
zdoom - many great features, stable and fast.

jdoom - looks good, however doesn't have many of the features of zdoom

legacy - another doom port, has openGL like jdoom. though not as great looking it is fairly stable and runs well on older systems or systems with rather basic vid cards. i have never had any issue with it some have.

prboom or boom - one of the first ports. great for purists or for demos. has many great features and if very good for older systems, or purists.

skull tag - based on zdoom, great for online play.

doom connector, CS doom and others - great for online play, not really ports. except skull tag

there are far more ports out there, but these are the main badasses, and the most supported

Sephiroth said:

just aviod win95.exe or the port that comes with newer issues of doom. like collectors editon.
this port sucks

I have the DOOM Collector's Edition and I fail to see what's wrong with the Win95 port... well, save that it obviously doesn't support a truckload of WADs.

Generally, I use Doom95 and it's launcher for playing Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom, and only use Source Ports when I'm playing custom WADs.

JamesEightBitStar said:

I have the DOOM Collector's Edition and I fail to see what's wrong with the Win95 port... well, save that it obviously doesn't support a truckload of WADs.

Generally, I use Doom95 and it's launcher for playing Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom, and only use Source Ports when I'm playing custom WADs.

And you are wrong!

Doom 95 is terrible, no matter what you say. It is crappy crap not worth the 2+ mb it steals on your HD. If you want it to be like Doom but not crappy, use Eternity or PrBoom.

If it's DM you are looking for, then you might want to read this

I thought Doom 95 was great, until finally I was informed that it couldn't load multiple wads.

It can load as many as you want it to. The launcher is limited. But what knowledgeable DOOM user needs a launcher?

Epyo, yo momma's so stupid she couldn't even get through Doom95's launcher...

Doom95 is pretty much like Doom, so I'll just have to assume all the "Doom95 sucks" tardcakes started playing in like, 1998 or later, or else they would have discarded the game because of its sucky engine.

(Hmm, what the fuck.)

myk said:

Doom95 is pretty much like Doom, so I'll just have to assume all the "Doom95 sucks" tardcakes started playing in like, 1998 or later, or else they would have discarded the game because of its sucky engine.

I started playing DOOM on 1994, and I still think that that port sucks.

Yes, pelotudo, I was being ironic about the year for a specific reason.

Well, no need to use insults (and you are a moderator?).
You said that "recent" players say that the port sucks, the year 1998 was just an example. I say that the guys who say "DOOM95 sucks" are these who played the game since the first years, these who like the port, are the ones who start playing the game in "1998 or later", may be with the collector editions.
Each time I heard a noob asking for help running Final DOOM or DOOM 2, he is refering to DOOM95 exe.

Vegeta said:
Well, no need to use insults (and you are a moderator?).
You said that "recent" players say that the port sucks, the year 1998 was just an example. I say that the guys who say "DOOM95 sucks" are these who played the game since the first years, these who like the port, are the ones who start playing the game in "1998 or later", may be with the collector editions.
Each time I heard a noob asking for help running Final DOOM or DOOM 2, he is refering to DOOM95 exe.

Do you recall all the EDGE bashing? Remember how that was? Fun? Some of it actually had some substance. Here there is no substance, though.

It's not new people. It should be, by the way they act; but they aren't new.

Additionally, I said what I said because if those people ever liked the game as is, which is natural for people starting before '98, then they won't be saying the older engine, even the Windows 95 version, sucks... they might not be interested in it anymore because they moved on to other engines, but naturally they won't be saying something cool sucks because they found something cooler.

And people who've barely used Doom95 and say it sucks without knowing it well are talking in vain spewing "it sucks" and "it's a bug-filled lump of bytes" all the time. Because that's rubbish; as I noted above, the engine is pretty much like the original, except it has a launcher that comes with it.

Someone can say something they don't like about an engine or whatever, or give the reason why they don't like it, like Epyo did (even though what he believed wasn't totally accurate, but it was his reasonable opinion). But if someone says "it sucks" in the typical massminded mode, can they necessarily expect to be taken in consideration positively, if at all?

myk said:

Someone can say something they don't like about an engine or whatever, or give the reason why they don't like it, like Epyo did (even though what he believed wasn't totally accurate, but it was his reasonable opinion). But if someone says "it sucks" in the typical massminded mode, can they necessarily expect to be taken in consideration positively, if at all?

No. Constructive Criticism is what is wanted. Had there been people who had not been making intelligent points then I would of jacked in working on EDGE ages ago.

The community seems to much more mature these days, so its becoming a joy to do the work again.

MasterOfPuppets said:

ZDoomGL its ZDoom, but in OpenGL (looks better, runs slower)

Heh, not on my machine. ;)

I like doom95 just for the fact of old school super fun. :) No fancy pants graphics or features there. Just plain good doom. :)

Well I only use the original exe, and Zdoom for stuff thar requires a port.
And calm down Myk, it seems that you need to go out more.

It was a decent port, but on bigger maps it would spontaeneously crash and make all these horrible noises outta my speakers. It sounded like my computer was suffering. Whenever it happened it would scare the shit of me because it was so loud and indescribably fucked up sounding. It wouldn't stop making all this racket till I shut the computer off. This was like, 8, 9 years maybe ago. My parents were ready to kill me, cause when they heard it they thought I broke the new computer. So needless to say, I don't like Doom 95 very much.

Epyo said:

I thought Doom 95 was great, until finally I was informed that it couldn't load multiple wads.

doom95 has all the original bugs of doom and many new ones. i heard it was really a microsoft project to show off the then new directX.

doom95 is terrible, even the original DOS exe is better. just grab a port.

prboom or boom if you are a doom purist
zdoom for features
jdoom for effects

Sephiroth said:
doom95 has all the original bugs of doom and many new ones.

It is pretty much a port of the engine, kind of like DOSDoom .47 (or so) is an attempt at recreating the engine from the source on DOS. It nauturally keeps all the quirks of the DOS engine, sans a few lifted limitations (VPO threshold is a bit bigger, more sound channels, etc.)

i heard it was really a microsoft project to show off the then new directX.

Oh, the capitalist bastards!

doom95 is terrible,

This is a really lame line to give out to someone asking for additional engine possibilities for DOOM, since they are most likely using it already, know enough about it per se, and like it enough to ask for other things. If not they'd just be looking for another game to play.

even the original DOS exe is better.

Well, but the original kicks ass.

just grab a port.

prboom or boom if you are a doom purist

Boom for a purist? Perhaps one'll prefer it in the case of a limitless wad, or one that specifically notes issues with the standard engine. Otherwise Boom is quite far from being "purist." The designers were careful not to jumble it with weird features, but its basically a modification of the game's engine... it's not even an OS port. The main point was removing limitations and adding editing features.

PrBoom is very cool with its demo compatibilities and other related features, but, as you can see here it is not exactly bugless and super stable. And unless the point is recording a Doom2 demo, it's overall less "purist" than Doom95.

Every engine has its bugs and quirks. Doom95 has its own. Then some people have experienced or read about some of them; some of these go about "it's full of bugs, more than in the original" and they seem to not have noticed that most if not all the known issues have workarounds or fixes. Doom95, like Doom, not being in development, has a set of definitive bugs, most of which have been discovered.

Doom95 will work fine on Windows 95 and Windows 98, and equally well on Windows 2000 or Windows XP for keyboarders (no mouse.) It's taken some slamming even from the start due to it being by Microsoft. Some people may not prefer it... I don't personally use it to play, I use Doom instead, but I'm not going to go around saying it sucks because of this preference. Nor any other engine I don't use.

Because I'm not a moron.

Vegeta said:
it seems that you need to go out more.

Ah, yeah; hopefully this gripe will be totally cured soon.

myk said:

PrBoom is very cool with its demo compatibilities and other related features, but, as you can see here it is not exactly bugless and super stable.

The fact that a thread exists for reporting issues and bugs is not evidence that it is relatively buggy or unstable. Much of the content of that rather short thread are more feature requests than bug reports, and there are few bugs for which there is no work-around.

Don't especially want to start a debate here, but someone casually reading your post could easily get the impression it is bug-ridden and crash-prone. It's certainly the most stable Doom engine I've used (by a short head, in front of - shock, horror - Legacy).