Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silverwyvern

Yeah... some thoughts for the artists.

As of late I am aware I have grown apathetic of most and critical of some and I guess I should address the issue.

I'm not a mod to grump at people... frankly I think I was just brought in because I was the only person that checks the fanfic/pic section regularily.

Either way, I used to try my damnedest, and now I'm losing that glossy shine of eagerness... I think it happens to all mods.. I think they start off all excited, and ready to really put magic into their board. You are the protector, the nurturer, and the inspirer. I tried to inspire you all with the contests, and at first there was plenty of interest. The interest has dropped now, and the contests seem to be recieved as a chore more then anything.. I just don't know how to get people revved up any more.. not even myself.

I will address the apathy... I work a 10 hour a day job. If anything gets done on doomworld in this time, it's from work, sneakily while nobody is watching.. Lately the workflow has been exceptional... just enough to make me grumpy and too tired to even hook up the laptop and go online. This may or may not be a good excuse, but I helped combat the issue by bringing in BlueSonnet to help out...(who is doing well, doncha think?)

I guess I need to hear back from you. What can I do to make this a better forum? What will inspire you? I may not have alot of time, but if I know where to spend the effort points, I think it can improve.

Would you like more nurturing advice, or critical? Do you want ideas for improval at all? I'm extremely picky about art, I will admit this. I'm not the best either. I make plenty of mistakes myself. I know I possess some skill though.. and maybe I could help if you're having trouble.

I know we need to be more solid with contest dates.. more organised about carrying them out.. and just more enthusiastic.. Maybe we need a better type of activity?

So please let me know.. what can I do as your mod to make this a better fanfic/pic section?

I have two things:
1. Start accepting photoedits. It's art too, ya know. Not anything retarded like adding text to a screenshot but lets say someone photoshopped up an imp out of a human body, that's FF/FP worthy I'd think. (Yes, I'm bitching and complaining my picture got moved, you ask my opinion so :P)
2. You really can't push artists Syl. :(

On a side note we want more Green Pile :P

I think its just that It's been so long since ID has released a Doom game and I think people are just kinda getting bored with it ya know. I think that I will deffinatly liven up though when Doom 3 hits the shelves. Me personaly will probably start sketching again when I play through doom 3 and read there manual and such because it will inspire me again.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

I have two things:
1. Start accepting photoedits. It's art too, ya know. Not anything retarded like adding text to a screenshot but lets say someone photoshopped up an imp out of a human body, that's FF/FP worthy I'd think. (Yes, I'm bitching and complaining my picture got moved, you ask my opinion so :P)
2. You really can't push artists Syl. :(

On a side note we want more Green Pile :P

I'll see what I can do about the comic... there's one finished at home.

I'm not sure about what image you are taking about... BlueSonnet may have moved it? I don't recall banning photoediting.. The only thing we don't like is pixel-frakensteins... like cropping the head off a bull demon onto a cyberdemon body... photoedits shouldn't have been a problem.

Email the image to cindymcc@nbnet.nb.ca

I'll have a look

How do you mean 'push'? I'm trying to encourage. If you're busy, you're freaken busy... don't give up eating. I just want people to have fun.

Tyockell said:

I think its just that It's been so long since ID has released a Doom game and I think people are just kinda getting bored with it ya know. I think that I will deffinatly liven up though when Doom 3 hits the shelves. Me personaly will probably start sketching again when I play through doom 3 and read there manual and such because it will inspire me again.

This is true. Who's decision was it to ban non-doom related art anyway? It wasn't mine. I'd change it back if I could.

Silverwyvern said:

This is true. Who's decision was it to ban non-doom related art anyway? It wasn't mine. I'd change it back if I could.

IIRC, dsm raised the issue.

Julian said:

Then I propose we allow all art that is appropriate (ie - nothing a minor can't see)

Limiting it to just doom art makes this forum half tired and dated. It's always fun to make art that is doom related.. but requiring it leaves a bad taste.

Tyockell said:

I think its just that It's been so long since ID has released a Doom game and I think people are just kinda getting bored with it ya know.

This is the reason i've stopped posting images on here, as it's now restricted to Doom-only pieces. You can only draw demons and marines so many times before u get sick of it.

Julian said:

Oooh yeeaaahhh, put ALL the fucking blame on the former fan pics Mod.

Ok, I raised the issue, but I didn't take the decision. I raised the issue because I was confused about what to do about nudity in art pieces, so I brought it up. Somebody, I'm pretty sure it was an Admin (go search the damn Staff forum), commented on how the art piece in question was not DOOM related and that it was kinda weird that such stuff was allowed in the fan fic forum.

Iirc, we (and by 'we' I mean the Mods and Admins who participated in the staff thread I started) reached the conclusion that to make the fan fics/pics forum easilier managable, Non-Doom stuff, be it art or fics, should be moved to blogs.
I made a sticky thread (which I see is still there and sticky) to warn everyone about the new policy. That thread even has a link to the art piece which raised the whole issue, unless the current Mods have removed it for some reason.

Then I propose we allow all art that is appropriate

Well, you got my blessing for that - just make sure the top dogs are in agreement.
Edit: And as long as I ain't the one who has to decide what's approproiate, because past events have shown that I don't know where to draw the line.

*prepares a feckload of submissions completed since*

Alright! It's official! Post any art you want... but nothing sexual or too graphic.. let's not push our luck ;)

Nooo, I don't wanna see any furry shit in here. Keep it doom related please, why else whould I even check in this forum (except for fan fics)? If I wanna see a wide range of good art I'll just go visit something like cgtalk.

I wanna put up my art, but I can't seem to figuer out how to post it.. it's a mystery.

I agree with De Juice. The only reason I cheak here is fror the Doom Fan art. I hate opening up an art thread and seeing anamea. even if it's drawn real nive like bluesonnet does :)

Yeah it went something like this.
. I posted a non-doom related nude pic (quite a crappy one now that i think about it)
. People got miffed and the issue was raised in the admin's forum (yes i've seen the thread for myself).
. The conclusion was that it was silly for a non-doom related art to be allowed in a doomart\fic forum and so the thread was moved to blogs. Also it was the fact that i promised a proper nude pic in the near future (which i haven't done and won't do it either) was what sent a chill down the spines of the mods. Funnily enough ling started posting bare breasts in the blogs soon after.
.Since then i've tried my best to make sure that no one repeats the same mistake as mine.

So now it's come back eh? I guess it's too late to say no, but i'm still going to keep posting no doom art\fics in the blogs forum.

I do agree that the enthusiasm is kinda dying for doomart. I'm trying to get round it by continueing with the modified demon approach, even still it's getting a little dry.

I will admit i've been taking a no holds barred approach to things that register as the acceptable stuff for the doomart for me, partly as way of taking up where dsm left off and since doom 3 is round the corner, the chances are we're gonna get invaded by waves of newbies, so i wanted to set a good example for the youngens.

Still, if you want that stuff you guys wanted, then i guess i'll have to oblige. Just be sure to show nothing that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see. ;)

btw: yes it was me who moved kyle's thread to blogs.

POTGIESSER said:

I wanna put up my art, but I can't seem to figuer out how to post it.. it's a mystery.

deviantart.com]Do what i do

dsm said:

Oooh yeeaaahhh, put ALL the fucking blame on the former fan pics Mod.

Wasn't my intention. Sorry if you took it that way: my bad.

Julian said:

Wasn't my intention. Sorry if you took it that way: my bad.

No prob - as long as we got it sorted out so that it didn't make me seem like the villain ;-)

. People got miffed and the issue was raised in the admin's forum (yes i've seen the thread for myself).

Iirc, I was the one who got miffed about it - I didn't have a problem with the actual pic that Bluesonnet posted, but I was concerned that he promised a more "revealing" version of it - I pointed out my concerns (I should probably have done it in a more polite fashion - when you're one of the guys with power, you have to be damn careful what you say so that you don't appear abusive) and a few guys took issue perhaps because they thought I was being a Nazi, which I suppose I can't blame them for.

Please explain to me exactly why you posted a nudie picture on the forums? If it was a drawing I could understand, but a picture? There's plenty of that shit all over the internet, why post one picture in the forums, what's the point?!

killer9 said:

Please explain to me exactly why you posted a nudie picture on the forums? If it was a drawing I could understand, but a picture? There's plenty of that shit all over the internet, why post one picture in the forums, what's the point?!

It was a drawing, done in pencil, inks, markers and a bit of photoshop to go with it.

Using the word "picture" is just us being lazy with our typing. :P

EDIT: Hold the phone

dsm said:

Iirc, I was the one who got miffed about it - I didn't have a problem with the actual pic that Bluesonnet posted, but I was concerned that he promised a more "revealing" version of it

I swear i already said that.

I said
Also it was the fact that i promised a proper nude pic in the near future (which i haven't done and won't do it either) was what sent a chill down the spines of the mods.

Scabbed Angel said:

DSM IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!

Shh...some people think that's George Bush too, or Marilyn Manson...or Saddam Hussein...or anyone who has the possibility of being evil...it could be you!

It's a tough call to restrict art if not related to Doom. I'd say you should allow it, but encourage the submission of the related material. Also, I would have been very delighted to participate in the Art Contests if life hadn't thrown me the surprises it did. (No I did NOT get anyone pregnant. :P ) I think something this place lacks is drawings with environment and various elements... Like that old old pic Fredrick put up that started me on fanart. (Yes there have been more than just his, but I cant remember the artists.)

I have been working on a comic myself - The SMC - which was originally going to be announced as a surprise, but I keep rethinking my development process for it so it's taking more than a while to release the first part... Also I have a bit of a hard time keeping the storyline flowing.

My point in all this is mainly that I am still interested in the art community, and do intend to produce more art for it.

And to you Silverwyvern, I'd say be as encouraging as you can to artists who are obviously starting out. Be critical, yet also encouraging to a degree, to more experianced artists.

Scabbed Angel said:

DSM IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!

Yep, you got me.
My entire mission in life is to get all souls to Hell so that I may have endless hours of fun torturing them for no reason whatsoever, mwahahahahaha!!!

And I see that my mission in this fan fic/art forum is going well >:-]

Pray for your souls mortals!