Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirTimberWolf

Doom: Reborn (gag me)

Okay, Im not starting any new projects so please spare the effort it would take to paste the new projects tag in and edit it ;)
That having been said: I was thinking about how interesting it would be to completely re-do DOOM... Im not talking about re-doing the maps for the sake of re-doing them but to actualy REMAKE doom, detail and all.. though usuing the same textures. Use Zdoom features and scripting and colored lighting.. whatever. Just making it cool again. Doom for the next generation or something.

would anyone be interested in such a thing?

That would be awesome and I'm already doing it! But with Doom2 and not for zdoom specifically. My game is a retelling of Doom2.

As far as remaking the original Doom with zdoom effects, that would be cool, and I wanted to do that too some point.

To be completely honest, this thought had crossed my mind during one level of Doom II, where there's an area where you pass these platforms that you lower, walk past, and then you go around on some stairs and end up having to walk OVER those same raising/lowering platforms.

I always wondered how the exact same area would look with true 3D bridges.

I've also always wondered why it is that Doom didn't have true 3D bridges or platforms you can go both over and under, yet inexplicably games like Rise of the Triad DID.

This sounds like a damn good idea! New sprites, new graphics, all new, but.. with the same story line, that would be like an Alternative DooM!
Long time ago I had an idea to remake Episode 1 :-D
BTW: Isn't Freedom doing that (remixing Doom2)?

I dunno about new sprites and all that but thats just me.. lol

the reason I brought this up is (just me im sure) im tired of seeing half assed attempts at level design (E4 for instance) that have no relavency to the plot of the game...

if anyone has played Phobos: Relive the Nightmare
you'll know about what I had in mind (its a doom2 map set with doom2 monsters set in an E1 style)

I dunno...

Nmn said:

BTW: Isn't Freedom doing that (remixing Doom2)?

Not necessarily. From my understanding, Freedoom is simply a stand-alone game with entirely new graphics, music, sounds, etc which can be distributed as freeware. Though it is indeed based off of Doom/Doom2 to some extent or another.

Okay...
so I finaly put my idea in a little crysalis =p

heres what I came up with

Retelling Doom1
from a REALISTIC perspective

horror...
Okay.. Realisim comes in: The base outlines (as depicted on the transition screen) would be a little more true to form (for example, a 3 or 4 story hangar level =P) and getting from instalation to instalation would be a little diffrent *an underground tram?*

Also.. making the weapons a little more realistic. in terms of firing rates and damage (ever seen a shotgun that spreads in a fan? me neither =/ )
Horror: Making attacks more vicious.. more fast paced *picture something like the Tension of Dawn of the Dead remake)

that would be pretty damn scarry... O_o

just my ideas.. lol
I started mapping out the hangar on graph paper..
ill post some pics later

If I recall correctly there was a Quake 3 mod called Doom Reborn. Or something to that extent. It was essentially a remake of all the Doom and Doom 2 levels, with the weapons, monsters etc. Of course when ID heard about it they had to terminate production of the mod. They had some really nice models of Models of the imp, revenant, & arachnotron. They ended up just being released as Quake 3 player models.

SirTimberWolf said:
Also.. making the weapons a little more realistic. in terms of firing rates and damage (ever seen a shotgun that spreads in a fan? me neither =/ )

Are you MAD, mon? Doom has one of the best weapon balances in FPS history! Who the hell would favor "realistic" guns over "balanced" guns, besides 13 year old counterstrike nerds, that is?

POTGIESSER said:

If I recall correctly there was a Quake 3 mod called Doom Reborn. Or something to that extent. It was essentially a remake of all the Doom and Doom 2 levels, with the weapons, monsters etc. Of course when ID heard about it they had to terminate production of the mod. They had some really nice models of Models of the imp, revenant, & arachnotron. They ended up just being released as Quake 3 player models.

That fucking sucks. It would of been awsome! I hate it when companys shut down mods :'(

Vile1011 said:

Are you MAD, mon? Doom has one of the best weapon balances in FPS history! Who the hell would favor "realistic" guns over "balanced" guns, besides 13 year old counterstrike nerds, that is?

I do agree about the fan-spread on the shotgun, but I really hate realistic weapons except in games in which they are needed (ie. Raven Shield, Splinter Cell, and other "realistic" games).

in case anyone wanted to see those models they are on this site

http://www.dragonspyrestudios.com/

go to his portfolio page they are under the lowpoly model section.

does anyone know where i can download the source code to doom. i have an old mac that cant run OSX, so im out of luck when it comes to playing ports. id like to try my hand at updating doom for mac os9....any help would be great.

Imp said:

That fucking sucks. It would of been awsome! I hate it when companys shut down mods :'(

Yeah there was also Quake 3 Metroid Mod as well. Nintendo killed it and asked them hand over all their material. Then about a year or two later out pops their Metroid FPS game on the gamecube. The dudes working on that mod literally gave Nintendo the idea for their next big hit.

POTGIESSER said:

Yeah there was also Quake 3 Metroid Mod as well. Nintendo killed it and asked them hand over all their material. Then about a year or two later out pops their Metroid FPS game on the gamecube. The dudes working on that mod literally gave Nintendo the idea for their next big hit.

Wow, if i ever start an international, million-selling games company and i pull some shit like that, feel free to send me letter bombs

POTGIESSER said:

Nintendo is gay. They stole the idea, shut down the project, stole the material, used the material, released the game, and claimed the game as theirs.

SirTimberWolf said:

Okay, Im not starting any new projects so please spare the effort it would take to paste the new projects tag in and edit it ;)
That having been said: I was thinking about how interesting it would be to completely re-do DOOM... Im not talking about re-doing the maps for the sake of re-doing them but to actualy REMAKE doom, detail and all.. though usuing the same textures. Use Zdoom features and scripting and colored lighting.. whatever. Just making it cool again. Doom for the next generation or something.

Well, Flashback
is kinda doing that. But we are not using zdoom effects tho, but the maps is "remixes" of the old maps.

Well that kinda would be interesting. Doom with the graphics of JDoom, modern gameplay parts like full mouselook, jumping, crouching, reloading weapons, etc. Plus in true 3d with md2 models *sigh* altough I doubt that will EVER happen

Dron said:

Well that kinda would be interesting. Doom with the graphics of JDoom, modern gameplay parts like full mouselook, jumping, crouching, reloading weapons, etc. Plus in true 3d with md2 models *sigh* altough I doubt that will EVER happen

I like the ZDoom idea much better, personally. That idea sounds like a way to get Doom accepted by CS kiddies.

In reality this has already been done, being PSX Doom which was converted by Deathman/Kaiser (why not just choose one, I ask...) and is known as Console Doom.

POTGIESSER said:

Got links?

Use3D said:

That would be awesome and I'm already doing it! But with Doom2 and not for zdoom specifically. My game is a retelling of Doom2.

As far as remaking the original Doom with zdoom effects, that would be cool, and I wanted to do that too some point.

Cool. Do you have any screenshots or anything?