Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

Using deh file

I am in the process of making a .deh file because I wanted to change a couple of the strings using WhackEd2 in my wad file. Every string I've changed has worked fine except for one.

I found the string that tells the story at the end of Episode 1 and changed it. But when I play the wad and deh files combined, all my strings are changed, except for the story one. I didn't go over the limit for characters, I'm sure of that. I am using Doom Legacy to run my files and I'm including both files when I run it. Is there something I'm not seeing and I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Andrew

Have you tried running it using doom.exe or maybe ZDoom?

Yeah, Legacy tends to ignore that sometimes. I wish I knew why. The wad I'm working on has a DEH that changes story text, but it too doesn't work in Legacy. But unless you have Legacy features in your wad or something, it's probably better to use ZDoom anyway. :-P

Well, I tried it on ZDoom and the wad won't work. The deh file strangely enough doesn't change any of the strings EXCEPT the one with the story at the end of the episode. Am I just out of luck with trying to work with Legacy? By the way, I used Doom Builder for the wad, if that helps.

Andrew

netnomad312 said:

Yeah, Legacy tends to ignore that sometimes. I wish I knew why. The wad I'm working on has a DEH that changes story text, but it too doesn't work in Legacy. But unless you have Legacy features in your wad or something, it's probably better to use ZDoom anyway. :-P

Legacy has horrible dehacked support. Use ZDoom.

When I DO try and run it in ZDoom, I get an error message. It says "R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump 1036".

I changed some of the sprites in the game, but I kept the same name (for example, YKEYA0 and YKEYB0 are regular keys instead of keycards). I didn't change any of the character sprites in the game.

Also, sometimes the number changes. It says "lump 1010" or something for example.

Does anyone know what an error like this means? Thank you.

Andrew