Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[name_withheld]

Instant Messenger Problems

Okay, basically my AIM and Yahoo messengers are acting odd. I'll be able to talk to someone for a while and then all of a sudden my IM's won't go through but there's will. Some form of help would be apprecieated, thanks in advance.

Make sure if u have any firewall software that its not interfereing with ur Yahoo messanger..I know i have had problems with that before.

SmellyOgre said:

Thats not good if your using IM programs.

Hell yea thats bad,,,Get u one.. u will need it. in the long run..just make sure u allow ur Im programs to use the internet..But idk why Yahoo is messing up if u don't even have a firewall..

KingKill33 said:

I just downloaded and installed the new version of Yahoo and it's still doing it, should I try downloading and installing AIM?

Heh, Yahoo pulling stunts like that doesn't really suprise me much. As for AIM, just go with an older version, such as 4.8. It's what I use and it's just perfect.
If you use the newest version be prepared for a lot of crashes and such (at least the latest AIM crashed a lot for me).

AIM has never crashed for me. Maybe you're using 95/98/2000 or something silly like that.

I happen to know that AIM isn't as innocent as it seems. There are flooders, warners, password stealers, even ways to fuck with a person's computer outside of aim with some programs. Are you sure your friend isn't screwing around with you, or somebody else is?

Get Trillian its a lot easier on your computer. That way you don't have to have all of the messengers open at once. The only issues I'm having with Trillian right now is recieving file transfer but that's nothing big.

AIM comes with spyware now! so if you do get a new version remove the spyware first!
i dont think yahoo comes with any

I HIGHLY recommend Gaim over Trillian. In my opinion, Trillian is just too unstable for general usage (add to that I only have an AIM account anyway). Even though Gaim supports accounts on MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ...and since it's open source, there is a guarantee of no spyware whatsoever.

Whoo now that you say that, I think I'm going to download GAIM. :D I've just been having too many problems with Trillian's file transfers (I'm not behind a firewall considering it won't even install) and it keeps on crashing for no apparent reason. How sweet of it eh?