Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesEightBitStar

Duke 3D Question

The Ultimate DooMer said:
(btw, it's going back a bit but did anyone encounter a fatal bug on one of the Duke 1 episode 3 maps? The grabbers didn't work, hence the map is unplayable)

I remember having played and beaten the game before without cheating, though I could be wrong.

Vile said:

I enjoyed Manhattan Project quite a bit, simple fun... as for the hidden weapons, there are bonuses you can get for getting 100% of the Nukes in a game, it just depends on what skill level you've selected when you play through the game. The bonuses are actually cumulative too, so if you got 100% Nukes on Easy skill, the bonus you get can be used in your Normal or Hard skill playthrough.

"EASY: Double kick damage
MEDIUM: You take half the damage you normally do, and your shirt is blue
(except for in end of level cutscenes).
HARD: You'll get the X3000, the most powerful weapon in the game. It's an
auto-targeting lightning gun! Tip: hold fire while a level is loaded, and
you'll
toast every monster in that level the moment you'l be able to play again!"

The above was taken from Marijn Kentie's FAQ. Speaking of secrets, don't forget the super-secret boss in the final level, Wozma (you'll probably be able to guess what this thing was inspired by when you see it).

EDIT: Oh yeah... aside from one or two of the bosses, most of them are just more powerful versions of regular enemies, which was lame IMO. Still, it's an enjoyable little platformer.

I only played the demo.

How's the Duke ports coming along? As good as the original EXE yet?

Janderson said:

I use the volume switch :P

But it didnt have one :)

No, out with it and good riddance for me.

Grimm said:

How's the Duke ports coming along? As good as the original EXE yet?

Jonof duke3d would be miles better except for the lack of decently workable networking code.

So Arioch, the one you mentioned is all the original and more? :P I don't really care about netcode, so if if that's right, a link would be appreciated.

JamesEightBitStar said:

The Kill-A-Ton Collection came with the original Duke3D, according to the information I've found. Personally, if I bought Duke3D at all I think I would like to have that collection. The version I get doesn't bother me, since you can download an upgrade patch that transforms regular Duke 3D into the Atomic Edition anyway. I just want to have the original Dukes along with it.

EDIT: Just a Question: how many discs IS the Kill-A-Ton collection? I found someone selling it on Ebay, but he is only selling three discs. (Granted, they could've put multiple expansions on the discs to save space, like the Quake collection did, but I want to be sure first).

I got Kill-a-Ton, got it cheap too as I recall. I just wish I didn't lend it out to that idiot! *sigh*

I figured I might as well end this thread by saying I found the answer to my original question. I found a Duke3D FAQ that covered info on the various releases of the game.

According to that FAQ, no, the Atomic Edition does NOT come with Duke Nukem 1 and 2.

Fortunately, however, I no longer have to worry--a friend of mine got the original version of the game through a collection called "Millennium Megahits." He didn't really like it, so when he heard I was looking for it, he gave his copy to me. My search has ended.

Arioch said:

Jonof duke3d would be miles better except for the lack of decently workable networking code.

Yes JonoF's duke3d port is nice. Saved me a lot of trouble trying to get the original DOS version to work in w2k

Doomguy can kick Duke's butt.

Also, about Duke ports, I believe that Randy Heit (The Zdoom guy) made some sort of Duke port. I haven't heard much about it in a long time, though.

You know, I once read a fanfic where the Doomguy DID beat Duke Nukem, because Duke had to make a smarmy comment after every kill. I found this funny considering that in Duke 3D itself Duke doesn't really talk much.

JamesEightBitStar said:

because Duke had to make a smarmy comment after every kill. I found this funny considering that in Duke 3D itself Duke doesn't really talk much.

Duke talk was funny at first but got slightly annoying later

I never found it annoying when he said "Hehehe. What a mess" and that kind of stuff after blowing a baddie into piles of putrid debris. Some of the other junk got boring, though.

Xaser said:

I never found it annoying when he said "Hehehe. What a mess" and that kind of stuff after blowing a baddie into piles of putrid debris. Some of the other junk got boring, though.

Yea, and really Duke could've used some more clever lines. I mean quoting movies is okay at first but that gets tiring. But as I said up above, Duke's not as much of a talker as he's made out to be, and personally I'm glad for it.

I can´t install the shareware version of Duke 3D in my comp. :( I get a 'runtime error 200 at 0837:0091' message while trying to install it. Has anyone got a clue why that? I´m using Win ME if that matters.

I've seen that before. I got the same thing while trying to run Cryptic Passage (Blood espansion). It turns out that my computer was too fast to run the program.