Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Will you change the way you make maps when doom3 is out?

Will you change the style of making your maps when doom3 is out so you can make all of them dark and scary or will you just keep making them like they are (Like outdoors and etc ones)

This is kind of a dumb question but I gave it some thought. Me, personally, no. I might make some dark and creepy ones with the new engine of course, but I would like to retain my style of maps.

Good luck even trying to learn how to make levels for Doom3. I tryed building maps for Half life and I gave up after 2 hours. I had slapped myself about 50 times and yelled at the guy who wrote the tutorial. It wasn't very helpful at all and doesn't even explain what the hell your making and how to change the floor and cieling heights.

I doubt i'll ever start editing for Doom3, or anything else than classic Doom. I hate true3D editing.

I think the original poster meant to ask if you're going to change your Doom2 mapping style after Doom3 comes out.

I'll start making them again, I think :D

Mine were always IMO dark and scary, but more scary 'cause I throw the player into a pit of 20 Archviles with only the SSG for company.

Yes I will. I will have to make more cramped rooms and corridors instead of wide open spaces so Doom3 can handle it

I won't make maps for D3, ever..
I'll make maps for Doom just as I make them now. Doom3 won't change much, at least in work.

I'll definetly be making maps for Doom3. It's not much different from 3d modelling.

As for changing style I doubt it, I don't have any set style in particular anyway as I like to be flexible.

I already started changing my style when the first screenies of D3 came out
this combined with UT influences and a few other games Aliens VS Predator being one of them has influenced my mapping style for doom to great lengths.. More detail, spooky shadows and violent fights :D

You bet I will be mapping for doom3. :)
I have been editing half life, but I never finished a map for it. But it's mapping wasn't really hard.

The only thing Doom 3 will do for my maps is give me some ideas for new architecture.

Yes to both! I'll make DooM 3 maps (releasing is another story, though), and of course adapt to their styles.

PS - an earlier poster said how true 3D editing was no good for him. Floor and cieling heights can be stratched in much the same way as walls in DooM, just from a side view. That's a basic synopsis, anyway. I've doon enough of both so I'm comfortable with each. In the end, however, DooM engine editing is still quicker even if you have relatively equal skill in constructing both.

What would be interesting is if doom3 came out with a 2d editor like the ones now.

Bloodskull said:

Good luck even trying to learn how to make levels for Doom3. I tryed building maps for Half life and I gave up after 2 hours. I had slapped myself about 50 times and yelled at the guy who wrote the tutorial. It wasn't very helpful at all and doesn't even explain what the hell your making and how to change the floor and cieling heights.

You need to forget about how you edit doom entirely... It's done in nearly purely 3d, there is no specific floor and ceiling heights.. you create brushes(blocks, polygons whatever) and align them vertically to a grid to define height... It's entirely different, but relatively easy once you get the hang of it.. But doom mapping is a lot more fun to push the limits of the engine, and see what you can do.. That's part of the fun, creating something unbelievably different.

Fusion said:

You need to forget about how you edit doom entirely... It's done in nearly purely 3d, there is no specific floor and ceiling heights.. you create brushes(blocks, polygons whatever) and align them vertically to a grid to define height... It's entirely different, but relatively easy once you get the hang of it.. But doom mapping is a lot more fun to push the limits of the engine, and see what you can do.. That's part of the fun, creating something unbelievably different.

But it's not fun for a complete idiotic newbie at mapping IMO :p

3d mapping sounds fun, but with what i've dealt with in UT2004...forget that. I just hope Doom3 will have a more newbie friendly editor.

Map? Yes. Change style? Not by much.

Im a little concerened about what the editor will be like though. Some of these freeware and "low cost" 3d editors have interfaces that drive me up the wall.

I don't doubt that there'll be a lot of mappers converting their old stuff to D3. Perhaps even converting the original Doom maps... hmmm

Heh, i was actually considering making an EDGE gl level lit entirely by dynamic lights once, which you'd be able to shoot out...it was based on a dream i had about a "haunted hospital", and would probably have very few enemies in it, but strong ones..who would attack when you least expected..i might still make it one day..

The most advanced game I've ever edited for is No One Lives Forever. I "might' try to map for Doom 3 if it has a decent editor.

I was giving thoughts to making Gaydoom/The Fourth Reich in Doom 3, but if i did i would probably make the Doom 2 version first then make the advanced version, though actually it rould really just be an excuse to draw/model classic 70's cars...but then just about everything i do is..

Amaster said:

Map? Yes. Change style? Not by much.

Im a little concerened about what the editor will be like though. Some of these freeware and "low cost" 3d editors have interfaces that drive me up the wall.

Doom 3's going to be bundled with the editor the people at id Software used, so unless they enjoy crappiness I doubt it will be

Torn said:

You bet I will be mapping for doom3. :)
I have been editing half life, but I never finished a map for it. But it's mapping wasn't really hard.

Same here. I made about a dozen good sized map chunks for Half-Life but never finished anything. Mostly it was just a big learning experience in how to slap brushes together and avoid leaks.

As for Doom III, I'll defiitely make a map or two for it but will always map for Doom II. I won't be changing my style for any possible Doom III mapping...

I wonder how many people who say they won't map for Doom III will be tempted to try it after playing the game.

Doom 3's going to be bundled with the editor the people at id Software used, so unless they enjoy crappiness I doubt it will be

It's very hard to say what the bundled editor is going to be like. It may not be a crappy device but it may have a steep learning curve that'll just put off a lot of us willing to test it out.

Boris: MI2? It's *not* coming along. I gave up mapping a while ago due to stress. I might be picking it up, cause a friend wants to learn, so I've got him into some of the stuff, and he wants me to make some levels... I might take up Mi2 again, but probably not.

Jayextee said:

I might take up Mi2 again, but probably not.

Sad to hear that :(

Well, my computer is out of action now for a while, but I might just pick up editing again, but I've got to scrap what I had of Mi2 (Or even maybe I'll just release the three finished levels as is), because I just can't get motivated with it.

I have actually got a Mi1 style map in the works though, _if_ I can get my box working again... I was doing it to show my friend Jon some things... it already has quite a nice starting area, quite dark and moody. But I guess I may actually just release the one map and not undertake any large projects until I feel ready. I dunno ;)