Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

On a Rampage

bartwart said:
I think a lot of people are just dogpiling on this guy with negative comments.

No, you are.

I saw very many points being made about the release, whereas your statement is a one-line generalization that doesn't specify anything of what you're saying.

It's just like when DV was released.

I gather you elaborated this when you saw DV mentioned above. But the truth is that with DV there was one controvertial element which divided opinions. With this thing, there's many elements which could simply be called "bait for the claws of the observant critic."

bartwart said:

I found that doing the ole' iddqd and idkfa boosted the fun factor a lot.

Any WAD that requires cheating to be fun is bad by definition!

Graf Zahl said:

Any WAD that requires cheating to be fun is bad by definition!

Not necesarily: for me (and this is strictly a personal issue), HR and others similar to it were only fun with iddqd and an occasional idkfa (not to mention the sv_fastweapons 1!) activated, because my skill fails it.

skill 1

No one should have major problems with that. Indeed, the creators specifically designed skill 1 to be fun and "runnable" - YD recorded a run through the whole of HR on skill 1.

I dont know what you dudes have versus this wad.
Its fun and its something else besides always playing the good guy.
Its even reasonable why a baron can use weapons.
He has full fledged hands.
And why for hells sake shouldnt i use the weapons of my enemy when i dont know when to get new "mana" for my fireball?

In short: I like what i have seen so far and would like to see a sequel!
Ideas to the front and back with those "I Think I Played This Before" wads ;)

So Long, The Werelion!
(Still trying to get some gfx artist to do a doom looking, sysshock2 alike inventory screen)

*watches the ending credit type things roll by*

That's it? ... I kind of enjoyed "Ground Zero" but I wouldn't reccomend it for anyone who gets motion sickness. I got dizzy a few times during it.

Mur, our hero wasn't shown at the end. I'm sad now.

So... the Motherdemon (dealie) was the reason the other Barons were attacking? 'Cause... I thought same species couln't harm one another. I'm... confused. :(

I'm sorry, its been years since I've done anything in the Doom community, but I just have to comment: If this wad sucks even a little bit, why does it deserve so much attention. Obviously it's too late to simply retract all the controversy so far, but seriously: arn't there other better wads around more deserving of at least SOME fraction of the attention this one is getting? And for 3 years development time, any amount of suck is nearly inexcusable IMO. Doom Rampage, I suggest you just give up map making altogether and take your ego with you on the way out.</flame>

This is what I call false advertising. Sorry Bloodshedder, but please don't post a day's worth of news about something like this again without giving it at least some review first, please. Even if it did take 3 years.

I'm sorry, all the comments I had heard from beta testers indicated that it was really good. Maybe you just don't want news on newly released projects anymore? And I don't understand what you mean by a "day's worth" of news.

Tuxedo-Templar said:

I'm sorry, its been years since I've done anything in the Doom community, but I just have to comment: If this wad sucks even a little bit, why does it deserve so much attention. Obviously it's too late to simply retract all the controversy so far, but seriously: arn't there other better wads around more deserving of at least SOME fraction of the attention this one is getting? And for 3 years development time, any amount of suck is nearly inexcusable IMO. Doom Rampage, I suggest you just give up map making altogether and take your ego with you on the way out.</flame>

This is what I call false advertising. Sorry Bloodshedder, but please don't post a day's worth of news about something like this again without giving it at least some review first, please. Even if it did take 3 years.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Tuxedo-Templar said:

If this wad sucks even a little bit, why does it deserve so much attention.

Because many people don't like it. Because it took 3 years to make. Beause people like the idea of it. Because it has such a large file size mainly to do with mp3's.

etc.

Good or bad, this IS a Doom news site. As the title says "The definitive source for Doom news, information, and development" not "The Doom news that's only good enough to meet our expectations". Doom Rampage Edition's release is just as worthy to grace the Doomworld main page as any major release.

Tuxedo-Templar said:

If this wad sucks even a little bit, why does it deserve so much attention.

Because this was a highly anticipated project that promised a unique experience yet in the end we got something sub-par in every conceivable way:

-The levels aren't particularly good
-The gameplay is even worse
-Serious mapping glitches (see the skyboxes!)
-Atrocious weapon/hit points/health balance
-Bad weapons
-The game starts with an annoyingly long and boring scripted intro that can't be interrupted

The list goes on but I don't have any desire to write more about this.

I just finished another level of Kill, but now I'm getting afraid of releasing it after reading just the first three pages of comments.

When I find a way to download it, I'll give it a shot. Some of it sounds interesting to check out.

DJ_Haruko said:

I just finished another level of Kill, but now I'm getting afraid of releasing it after reading just the first three pages of comments.

The best thing is to release one map as a demo. This way you get opinions about it before it's too late.

A dumbass releases a dumb project, what a novel idea. A rule: don't trust 40 yr old guys with kids and a wife who take the time to make a megawad (or atleast that's what I learned of Doom Rampage from my old DC days) and sticks a clan on the front of his name that stands for "Old Farts of Doom."

Graf Zahl said:

Because this was a highly anticipated project....

It was?

Get real. Bloodshedder shouldn't have to do a bunch of research to see if a wad is good or bad, thats just rediculous. I'm sure he's got better things to do than trying to figure out if your gonna like the projects he's doing the news about. hah! What about projects that aren't finished? Are news posters supposed to figure out magically that a project is good or bad before posting about it? Even if a news guy checked out a project and didn't like it, doesn't mean other people will dislike it as well. If you don't like the wad then tooo bloody bad.

The main reason I said not to post about something like this is simply because it's irresponsible: you're giving attention to a product that really doesn't deserve any... or at least not as much as some of the better ones I know that don't get even a fraction of it. But maybe that's asking too much.

Only the novelty factor (which didn't come through in the end), the whole "3 years in development" thing, and that it was a "highly anticipated" release justify any mention of it at all, IMO, but only if it makes people know better for any other future "highly anticipated" products whether to bother with them or not.

See my point?

Bill is a news reporter, not a reviewer. Therefore, taking him to task for posting news about a project without reviewing it first is an inherently flawed action with no logic, save that dictated by your evident arrogance, to back it up.

I would count the words, but I ran out of fingers. Hope that's enough though. Seriously, what the hell do you think this site is? CNN? Lighten up and get over it.

Tuxedo-Templar said:

The main reason I said not to post about something like this is simply because it's irresponsible: you're giving attention to a product that really doesn't deserve any... or at least not as much as some of the better ones I know that don't get even a fraction of it. But maybe that's asking too much.

Only the novelty factor (which didn't come through in the end), the whole "3 years in development" thing, and that it was a "highly anticipated" release justify any mention of it at all, IMO, but only if it makes people know better for any other future "highly anticipated" products whether to bother with them or not.

See my point?

i completely disagree. classic doom news is rare enough already. you want to make it rarer? it's like a news program in a town where nothing happens. "nothing much was happening here locally, so we just drove the news van around until we hit someone."

dethtoll said:

i completely disagree. classic doom news is rare enough already. you want to make it rarer? it's like a news program in a town where nothing happens. "nothing much was happening here locally, so we just drove the news van around until we hit someone."

That actually made me laugh, congrats. I agree though, but in reality any worthy Doom news period is rare anymore. I mean what do we still have news on? Wads, Wad Reviews, Doom 3 Release Crap, Website Updates? That's about it, and that's not all that much to update on anymore, because there's not many Wads worth talking about, not many people do Wad Reviews anymore (and out of the few who do about 2% of the reviews are worth reading and by people who know how to do a review), we all know the story with the Doom 3 release date (we might as well not even post that info anymore until its from Id themselves), and a bunch of website updates which usually don't amount to much of anything. When it comes down to it, we're hard up for real news, so we've got to take what we can get.

Bastet Furry said:

I dont know what you dudes have versus this wad.
Its fun and its something else besides always playing the good guy.
Its even reasonable why a baron can use weapons.
He has full fledged hands.
And why for hells sake shouldnt i use the weapons of my enemy when i dont know when to get new "mana" for my fireball?

As one cat avatar speaking to another... :-) But seriously, others beside the Werelion have made this point about DRE.

There is usually a way to rationalise a use of each of the weapons in a mystic or supernatural way. When I made Bombay72 this was one of the design aspects that took me the most amount of time.

From the readme file:

1 = single paw/berserk paw (was fist)
2 = slashing paws (was pistol, actually chainsaw)
3 = super punch (was double-barrelled Shotgun)
4 = the Burmese Glare of Death (was chaingun)
5 = flaming balls of phosphorous (was rockets)
6 = the magic power of throwing flames, bestowed by Sekhmet (was plasma)
7 = the Curse of Bast (was BFG9000)

1) You start out with a normal swipe of the paw and with slashing paws.

2) All chainsaws are redefined as Berserk Packs since it is now pointless to have other chainsaws, and since there isn't a way to issue other weapons as standard at the start of a game, this seems like a good compromise.

3) For the punch to work, you need to be using a truly compliant source port that behaves as iD's "dual-mode" DOOM executables -- that is, can be DOOM or DOOM2 according to which IWAD file is found. The punch works by redefining shotguns as super-shotguns and since these weapons are usually at close-quarters, the effect looks really cool. The downside, from a realism point of view, is that the punch always sounds and works at a distance.

4) Inspired, more-or-less by the book, the Burmese Glare of Death puts a true "Bombay" spin on it - the GCCF standard Burmese (breed no. 27, from which the Bombay, breed No. 72, is derived) has a wide-eared face and slightly oriental eyes, giving it an almost vampire-bat like appearance. This has been referred to as "The Gloriously evil look of the Burmese" and is especially noticable given their ability to emit a deep-chested growl like that of a dog.

5) The cat "Coeurl" fed on phosphorous, coincidentally referred to as "id" by A E van Vogt; thus he throws flaming balls of phosphorus extracted from rockets and other ammo.

6) If the cat finds the staff that Sekhmet is usually portrayed as holding, it gives him the magic power to throw flames at the demons from his paws.

7) Bast is often portrayed as a domestic cat with a collar; putting on the collar bestows the power to curse the demons and strike them down dead.

Presumably the next version of DRE could so something like that? Certainly if I rewrite Bombay72 for ZDoom it could be a lot better.

Can someone PLEASE point me to a link where i can dl the full DRE (with the MP3s)? One that will point me to the file WITHOUT the use of fs progs like Bit Torrent? Or hell, can someone who has the full file tell me their AIM or Yahoo! Messenger sn?

Even if I won't like DRE, I'll consider asking permission to use/modify some of its resources for my own means. That's a lot of MP3s/sprites...

No link? Damn. All that music may have been very useful to me.. :(
/never likes to lose the opportunity to dl 100MB of wad(s)

Deus Vult? I heard some HR horror stories about it; should be a decent challenge. :D I'll play it and then try a UV max demo.

Six pages of replies and nobody's mirrored it? Unless I missed a link skimming over the pages that is.

The full wad contains MP3s that are non-distributable copyrighted material. I don't think that kind of stuff is linkable on these Forums.