Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

I tried to make a level without sky

Man, it can't be done. I give up. Sky just adds so much coolness to a level.

Anybody here ever done it?

Fredrik said:

E2M2, E2M4, E2M9, E3M7, MAP04, MAP30 and MAP31 were all made.

REOLLY!"?!?!?" WOWZERS!!!!111eleven

But that's still rather few maps. I guess adding a sky to a map makes it more believable, after all we're used to seeing a sky (at least some of us ;)

I swore to myself I wouldn't make an outside area on one of the deathmatch maps I made for The 7th dimension mappack. Every one of them has a sky sector, and a sky area that you can roam around in except for nuke, that one is just view.

I actually like those vast, dark, cavern/chasm/underground temple maps. They actually add a sinister mood and/or atmosphere to certain projects. Usually if I see a sky in a map that starts off looking like something above, I'd be like "Aw, man...I thought this was supposed to take place several feet/miles below the surface", but again those kind of maps don't always have to be without some outside area(s).

My first map had no sky, it had water on the ceiling

In my old wad, "Anarchy doom", one level was meant to be set in daytime, but that level would have had a night sky, so i changed the blood texture to 'rolling clouds' and used that, it sort of counts as sky thouh i suppose heh

Hm, and the ants nest levels in bughunt have no sky..oh, wait, actually the first one does...

Hm, i should try making a map with no sky one day, see if i can do it hehe

Some of the maps in Icarus use scrolling textures to make a "sky" for a moving space ship. These don't use standard skies.

I've made a few maps with no sky. Generally they were very dark and deep underground.

Amaster said:

Does void (not cyb's) count as not having a sky?

Nah half the map is a sky.

Map03 of the boothill series made great use of using no skies.. for it's time anyway..

Something about seeing a sky sector with parts of the building's structure leading off to where the eyes can't see add a bit of an outside world effect. Iv'e made maps without a sky, they wern't very good :)

Well, I don't think that a sky itself is needed to aquire more environmental believeness (some anglistic student will kill me for that word ;))

Just think about using skyboxes which don't represent a sky ;) (for example parts of a cave or something like that ;))

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Undersea.wad?

IIRC undersea.wad (doom1) DID have the sky showing.

It all depends. If working with Vanilla Doom, you could use an all-black flat (Or whatever colour your colourmap fades to) instead of a sky will give you one REALLY misty/dark/whatever level in the middle of a load with skies if you wish. Like all things editing, it just depends on you as a person, and your application of creativity within constraints. However, even though this isn't using a sky per se, it's using the *suggestion* of sky...

Personally, I think that doing the opposite is also restrictive -- using too much sky. However, the same can be said; it depends *how*... sky sectors can be used for so much more than just sky, if you're prepared to experiment, for example, use a rocky patch as a sky (Maybe have it fade to black at the top of the graphic) for that "Oh my gawth isn't this a large cave?" feel, or skies can be used creatively, as reflections in windows (Better with BOOM translucent linedefs for windows)...

When all's said and done, it's all down to the artist what he does with his/her artform, IMHO ;)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Undersea.wad?

Heh, no, i wisely didnt release that wad, or my megawad "Doom london: 2666", I didnt know how doom editing worked and what i was actually doing was modifying the iwad (and i was wondering how my "doom london graphics" where "merging into" all the other wads, i guessed it must have been something to do with "Dos-based command lines" heh. Also i didnt know that the data was contained in a wad file, i was planning on uploading the doom legacy executable thinking if people ran that it would play my wad...

Hm, come to think of it, the only things ive ever put in the archive are bughunt.wad and trafficcontrol.wad, maybe i could upload what i have of 'insanity please doom' one day, the dehacked work is quite cool if nothing else, and my awful map based on my school with random texturing and kingpin sound effects...

Fredrik: Yeah, I spoke. Been lurking for about a month, actually. Didn't know whether to get involved again or no... and then a friend of mine asks me to learn him how to make Doom levels, so the ball starts rolling again... shame my computer is broken for the moment, but it's just a temporary setback really.

And yes, I'm working on a map, but I don't know whether it'll go any farther than that.

I have made many without a sky texture, for example i made a 5\6 level wad with only one sky sector in all i believe. it was caves so it would have been where he fell in. The bottom line: IT IS POSSIBLE

When I started Doom mapping I didn't even know how to make a sky. :)
But I think skies make Doom maps better.

I prefer indoor maps.

But mainly because my mapping skills are so "sucky" or "n00bish" (however you wanna say it), it is hard for me to make a "good looking" outdoor area.

Sniff sniff.....

:(

One of my Gothic DM 2 maps had no sky, and the other one only had a small window.