Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

Doom Builder compatible?

I used Doom Builder to make some levels for Doom, running it in Doom Legacy it worked fine. It worked fine until I added a .deh file to it. Doom Legacy didn't like some parts of the deh file. As I was advised elsewhere on this message board, I tried running the wad file in zDoom. After fixing a couple of errors that zDoom was giving me, I was able to run it in zDoom. The problem was that it looked horrible for some reason. It was really dark and a little choppy. The colors were kind of "off", too.

So my question is, are levels built in Doom Builder not compatible with zDoom? I've also tried EDGE, but I couldn't get that to work right. Are there other programs anyone can recommend that I can run the wad and deh file with? I don't really have any problems running it with Doom Legacy (minus the .deh file) but the only thing I don't like with that is that when you run the two files together you have to go to "Single map..." and load it from there and then it automatically starts you off at E1M1 or whatever level you pick. It doesn't go to the beginning screen where you pick "New Game" and then the episode, etc.

I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I'm a real beginner to these things. Thank you very much if anyone can help me.

Andrew

uhh, Doombuilder doesnt modifiy .deh files, and its obviously the .deh that causing this. you have to look there. I suggest run it without the dehacked work. It would help if we knew what this .deh did

Dr. Zin said:

uhh, Doombuilder doesnt modifiy .deh files, and its obviously the .deh that causing this. you have to look there. I suggest run it without the dehacked work. It would help if we knew what this .deh did

Sometimes not skimming over the post helps.

But anyways it may be because your used to how clean your map looks in Legacy using Open GL,Try downloading ZdoomGL and tell me if the map still looks bad,Or if it looks normal.

Im sorry, I assumed he knew the difference between hardware and software rendering. (no offense intended)

I downloaded ZDoomGL and it looks better, except for one thing. It's very strange. It seems that while I walk through the levels, the ceiling, walls and floor that are immediately in front of me vanish. This is not only happening with my wad file. I tried running the original doom wad file and it does the same thing. Also it doesn't seem to support my .deh file, but like I said I don't care that much about that. Do you have any other ideas to try? Thank you again.

Oh, and no offense taken Dr. Zin. :-)

andrew316 said:

It seems that while I walk through the levels, the ceiling, walls and floor that are immediately in front of me vanish.

Go check the stickies in the ZDGL forum to fix that.

Thank you chilvence, that helped a lot. It works perfect now except for one thing. At the end of each level the screen blinks really fast and it's kind of annoying. It blinks between the last thing you see before ending the level, and the picture in between levels. Again, it does this with the original doom wad too so it's not something I did in my levels. I was just wondering if there was something I could do about this.

Also the deh file works fine except for the degrelessness mode string when you enter the cheat. I had changed it to something else and "degrelessness mode on" comes up instead. Is there a reason for that?

Thank you again.

Andrew

DarkknightXC said:

What problems were you having with EDGE?

I couldn't get my wad file to load with EDGE or EDGEGL. I could only get the original wad to load. I tried drag and dropping and that didn't work.

And there's only that one little problem with ZDoomGL as I've said in an above post.

I'll use either EDGEGL or ZDoomGL, as long as one of them will work fine.

Andrew

andrew316 said:

I couldn't get my wad file to load with EDGE or EDGEGL. I could only get the original wad to load. I tried drag and dropping and that didn't work.

Dragging and dropping is not supported. You'll have to create a shortcut to EDGE and add "-file <your-wad>" to the command line. The dehacked stuff will not will since its not support by EDGE directly, but can be converted to EDGE's DDF via a tool which can be found on the website: http://edge.sourceforge.net.

OK, so I got it to run in EDGEGL by creating the shortcut. I downloaded the DDF converter and was able to change things in it. I opened language.ldf in Notepad and changed some things. Was that the right way to do it?

Also, how do I run the phrases I've changed in EDGEGL with my wad file?

Or how can I stop the screen from blinking using ZDoomGL?

Thank you,
Andrew

DarkknightXC said:

Although I curious to know where you got the language.ldf file from, since I think the converter produces a hwa file...?

I didn't find any hwa files. I downloaded the program you told me, unzipped it and found language.ldf, anims.ddf, etc.

I downloaded the other program you told me about to add ldf/ddf files to a wad and I did that successfully, but now when I open GLEDGE32 with the new wad in place, I can pick "New Game" and I can pick the first episode, but as soon as I do that my screen returns to my desktop. What could be causing that?

As an update: I used ddfinwad and put languages.ldf into my wad. Then I ran it using GLEDGE32 and it said it was a bad WAD because E1M1 had no vertexes. I opened the wad that I had just added languages.ldf to in Doom Builder (because that's what I used to make the levels) and it shows that the only map in my whole wad is E1M2. When in fact, I already have E1M1 - E1M9 done. Somehow it erases my other maps because the original wad is still intact. How can I fix that?

Thank you,
Andrew