Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

Doombuilder tries to install word

I'm no newb to comps, but on my win xp machine when i start DB from the start menu it wants to install like 5 different versions of microsoft word as its loading. i have to hit the cancel button to stop this. I assumes this is some virus I've got thats assaulting my comp, but I was just checking to make sure it actually isnt a know DB bug. oh yeah, my DB version is 1.53 and i've been using it for > than half a year and in the last week or two this bug has shown up. Anyways I thinks its a virus but Im just checking to make sure its not some known bug.

The Doom Builder sources have no references to any other programs at all, except to the nodebuilder tools in its own folder, which you can configure in the configuration to anything else. So if you didnt configure some Word installation program as the nodebuilder (lol), this is theoretically impossible that its doing such a thing.

The explanation for thise could be that it is Word who has done something odd, or like you said, it could be a virus. Got a virus scanner? Better get one. Also try uninstalling Doom Builder and Microsoft Office, make sure you have all critical updates, software packs and recommanded updates from windowsupdate.com, then reinstall Doom Builder only and see if the problem persists.

It's not a virus.. It's a windows XP bug, and i had the exact same problem.. Also, this is not at all Doombuilder's fault, it happens with several other win32 applications as well...

The only solution is to give it exactly what it wants.. if you don't have a legal version of word, you won't be able to.. There are a few work arounds.. such as disabling windows installer altogether..

"You can get rid of it by: Start > run > type: gpedit.msc > local computer policy > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > double click "disable Windows Installer " choose always and apply. The problem is that the installer is then turned off and you may have to turn it back on at a later point. This works and is safe, but it is a hack!"

Personally, i just recommend re-installing word, and/or giving windows installer access to whatever file it wants on your word or windowsxp cd.. that should clear up any issues you're having..

Heh, Word 2000 and Word XP (which are both the same thing really) keep trying to install themselves when i open them, i just generally stick to Word 97, i would delete the POS modern versions entirely if it wasnt for my brother insisting we keep "The latest version", even though it seems more like a step backwards to me

thanks for the info, I didnt think it was DB. I do have the legal version so I guess I'll let it run through its little check.

Yeah, and when I run SystemSuite5 and delete all .bak files, Outlook reinstalls itself, when it's opened. Let's face it, MSOffice is a buggy peice of crap, but what else is there :P