Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
x0UAC0x

Is Jumping Cheating?

Does anyone think 'jumping' in Zdoom is cheating? I personally dont think so b/c then they wouldn't have game the feature anyway! Correct me if i am wrong!

x0UAC0x said:

Does anyone think 'jumping' in Zdoom is cheating? I personally dont think so b/c then they wouldn't have game the feature anyway! Correct me if i am wrong!

Is Infinite Ammo cheating? It is in Zdoom.

Nah, why should it be considered cheating? It just helps add to the gameplay of modern wads.

I've always felt zDoom should disable jumping if it's playing a doom.exe only map. Unfortunately this never happened :/

There are tons of zDoom options like infinite ammo, MDK kill, etc. .. the only way to prove you did it without cheating is record a demo and upload it for other people to play.

udderdude said:

I've always felt zDoom should disable jumping if it's playing a doom.exe only map. Unfortunately this never happened :/

How's the program to know though? Sometimes people make a map that uses no port-specific features, but is designed for "any port with jumping".

I think it would be good if a line were added to the standard wad text template about jumping; e.g.:

Jumping: necessary/optional/please don't (delete one)

Nah. Even though he's been banned, it's still a decent thread.

Jumping is only a cheat if you use it, like any other cheats. If you're in a map that doesn't require it, just don't hit your jump key.

/baronofhell\ said:

I think jumping is fair. I agreee with 'udderdude'

Not in a level where you can measly jump to the exit wheras without jumping, you would have to make a stairway.

You can exit Doom2's map 3 in a matter of seconds if you jump up to that high step with the two medikits. Is this fair?

Not to mention that you'll miss out on the chaingun and a few other goodies.

Map05:Jump through the walls
Map07:Jump to the center
Map11:With expertise, jump to the little "tunnel"

That's all I think in DOOM2

in addition to what Ichor said

killer9 said:

Anywhere you jump to that you couldn't get to otherwise is considered cheating.

Some wads are impossible withoug jumping.

Well obviously if they are designed with jumping in mind, then it is OK to use jumping when playing them.

Personally, when I play a WAD, I always play without using the Jump key and see how far I can get. If I come across a situation where it seems like the only way to complete the level IS by jumping, then I'll realize the WAD had it in mind and start using it. Otherwise though, Jumping when it's not taken into account can really mess things up (The first level of, I think, "The Chaos Project" can be shortcutted through if you use jumping).

Usually, you can tell as soon as you complete the first level wether or not a WAD was made with jumping in mind.

In a way, jumping is cheating as it wasn't in the original game. The fact that they didn't have the technology at the time, etc., really makes no difference in the fact that it's basically a cheat though, because the point is that it wasn't in the original Doom. IMO anything that effects gameplay of the original game is cheating, outside of the structure of a map. It is true, however, that jumping can be considered not cheating if the map is designed around it. But again I must state what I say everytime a subject like this comes up: If I wanted to play Quake, I'd install it, but the fact is, I want Doom.

Most of the time you don't need to use jump, for normal doom anyway. Nah, doesn't seem like cheating to me.