Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alboroto

Fear Factor

Ok, we all think Doom needs good graphics, good weapons, good storyline... but we need fear on the game. I mean true fear.
Not a bunch of ugly monsters and some "scary" sounds, but real fear, the type where you know there is no way out, except death itself.

I would like to see what Zaldron has to say about this... tus ideas siempre son interesantes.

When was the last time a computer game really, truly scared you? I think the last time for me was System Shock 2, with the whole creepingaround the decrepit, haunted, zombie-and-killer-robot-infested starship. That was cool. The time before that was Half-Life, especially the first Tentacle scene.

'Course, the problem is: How do you implement fear in a game where you can quicksave every five seconds?

All time best scary games:

1.Silent Hill 2 (FUCKING SCARY)
2.System Shock 2 (still playing it =)
3.Doom1 (The first SCARY game ever)
4.CBUndying (Kick ass, but ran like shit on my system)
5.Unreal 1 (There where a few jumpy moments on the VR and Kran that scared me, and a Giant BSp hole that scared me =P )

Doom 3 hopefully will have the same DEEP RICH atmosphere ase SS2 and SH2 did..

Well, that quicksave shit sucks, I remember that I saved every 30 seconds in level 30 (doom II), and that was taking all the fun away.

I really liked the Silent Hill games, both of them were scary... I mean a lot.

I am a psicology student, and I'm really looking for a game that touches the depth, a game that takes you to the edge of fear and makes you cross it sometimes. Sounds that make a serial killer call his mother... images that will make the Pope ask if there is a heaven.

Well, I suppose you all get what I'm triying to say.

Well, that quicksave shit sucks, I remember that I saved every 30 seconds in level 30 (doom II), and that was taking all the fun away.

I never quicksave under fire, if I can help it. I tend to fall out of my groove if I save in the middle of a fight.

I am a psicology student, and I'm really looking for a game that touches the depth, a game that takes you to the edge of fear and makes you cross it sometimes. Sounds that make a serial killer call his mother... images that will make the Pope ask if there is a heaven.

Certainly. Theproblem is, would you need to have a mucho high-end machine to get the "proper" experience? Oh, sure, it looks awesome on an Alienware two-grand system, but on the average consumer rig? You'd have sound that makes a serial killer take an axe to his speakers... images that make the Pope ask if the Vatican's budget can afford a new video card. ~ Jack

Back in the day, Doom scared me. It's the balance of enmies that did it... just enough to have you afraid to die, but not too many to be hopeless. Undying had it's moments, but then again Clive Barker was always a little more macabre than he was frightening. System Shock 2 was scary until you got to the Rickenbacker(sp?). It just got really hard at that point (maybe I shouldn't choose the hardest difficulty), and the organic level was not cool at all (I stupidly powered up the crystal shard instead of a big gun). Half Life wasn't that bad, but the Ickthyopterics(sp?) is the only enemy in any game that still scares me.

It would seem that we are on the same page. My idea of fear is bringing someone to the point where all they can do is crawl to a corner and wrap themselves in a fetal position to warm the ice flowing through their veins. I'm sure Doom 3 will pull it off.

If I ever get off my butt and start working on programming... well, I think you know what you can expect from me.

Half Life wasn't that bad, but the Ickthyopterics(sp?) is the only enemy in any game that still scares me.

Heh...me too. In fact just about any underwater enemy scares me. The Barracuda-Shark from Quake 2 and the Rotfish from Quake scare the hell out of me still. I think its the fear of drowning while being eaten alive. The Icthyosaur (named after the prehistoric aquatic reptile, latin for fish-lizard) is probably the scariest.

Now that I'm thinking of Quake, I just realized that it was probably one of the scariest games I've played, though nowadays, it kind of bores me. The creatures were horrific, the architecture was creepy, and the levels were all dark. And that part on the second level where the fiend jumps out at you...I literaly jumped out of my seat.

[quote]All time best scary games:
I think Alien vs Predator is absolutely scary, but only when you're playing the Marine missions...
It was pretty cool with this motion-detector-thing and the dark athmosphere.

Doom3 should be the sort of game that gives you terrible, blood-drenched, bed-wetting nightmares weeks and months after playing it.
It should be the ULTIMATE scary game, and I'm sure id can pull it off-look at Doom1/2, all the Quakes, Heretic and HeXen.
Well, Heretic and HeXen aren't that terribly scary, but they can sure be spooky at times.
But back to the subject, as I was saying Doom3 should be not only the funnest, best-looking, best-sounding, best-playing game ever devised, (and I expect nothing less) and the scariest.

I hope DOOM 3 isnt like a cheap scare game like Resident Evil, where monsters jump through windows and floors and shit ALL THE DAMN TIME!

My friend is scared of this game called Silent Hill 2...he says he can't play it alone. I don't believe it's that scary, but he insists it is.

I remember in Outcast, there was a small bare island where you had to go with a small boat, and a huge dinosaur kind of creature was waiting there, sleeping in a pool of water. When it woke up, that was scary stuff.

As I said before, AVP is cool freaky just when you play as a Marine. As predator... well, you have so many weapons that the game turs easy. The trick is to kill from the distance.
With the alien in the other hand, your speed is your weapon, so the slow predator and the even slower marines give you just a little bit of problems.
In the other hand, as the marine, you have to cover your back all the time, check every corner, every shadow... the radar always tells you where you enemy is... always too late.
That gives it a great atmosphere to the game.

BTW, Disorder... -39??? WOW =)

I remember in Outcast, there was a small bare island where you had to go with a small boat, and a huge dinosaur kind of creature was waiting there, sleeping in a pool of water. When it woke up, that was scary stuff.

Outcast rules. That scene with the GorGor was awesome. It would pick you up, toss you in the air, and eat you like a meatball. Unless you used the old guy's mushroom ball gun, or whatever the hell those things were.

Outcast rules. That scene with the GorGor was awesome. It would pick you up, toss you in the air, and eat you like a meatball. Unless you used the old guy's mushroom ball gun, or whatever the hell those things were.

GorGor? Isn't that GWAR's pet dinosaur's name...hehe GWAR.

Its...to late...isn't it?
/me falls asleep