Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Phobos...

I noticed while searching playing Quake 3 that Phobos was in the game as a bot. I searched for his info but couldn't find any besides the fact that he was the 'other' doomed marine. Does anyone have any info on his background and role in the timeline of Doom? Just merely curious...:)

I think the UAC used him as a guinea pig and sent him through the gate with the other expendables. Instead of ending up at Deimos he ended up in Hell, which tends to make you a bitter, hateful person.

Ah, I just found an article/story thing that explains the story of Q3A, and actually explains Doom's, Phobos' and Crash's stories (SUPPOSEDLY) as well. Pretty neat stuff. Here it is

Someone can dispose of this topic if they wish.

You do realize that Crash and Phobos are not a real part of the Doom storyline, correct? They're just there to give the player more skins to choose from.

Yeah, but since Quake is made by ID software, I was just wondering if they even had a storyline for them somehow.(like you would find phobos as some corpse in say e3m2)

there is no connection to the original doom story line. maybe they will have an apperence in doom III. however as stated, it was to give more of a choice in players for quake 3.

The Q3 manual makes references to the Phobos War (Doom), the Slipgate War (Quake) and the Strogg War (Quake II).

Indeed, this makes it sound as though id intended for the game timelines to occupy the same universe.

DD_133 said:

Ah, I just found an article/story thing that explains the story of Q3A, and actually explains Doom's, Phobos' and Crash's stories (SUPPOSEDLY) as well. Pretty neat stuff. Here it is

Someone can dispose of this topic if they wish.

This was written for Generations Arena. It is not official id material.

EDIT - This is from the Quake III manual.

Phobos (Human): An experienced veteran, he led the invasion of the demon-haunted tunnels of Phobos. There, he was betrayed by superiors who thought they could learn more from watching him die than by studying his reports.

END EXCERPT

So, we can gather this from what the manual says.

1. He was an experienced veteran. A space marine. Possibly a possessed space marine, judging by what comes next.

2. He "led the invasion of the demon-hunted tunnels of Phobos." Does this mean that he led the invasion for the demon army, or he led the invasion to take back the tunnels for the humans? It's not really clear, though what's written before and after that part of his description hints at the answer.

3. He was betrayed by superiors, apparently by sending him into an impossible battle. Assuming the manual wasn't being 100% sarcastic, they did this to study demon battle behavior. If this is the case, he was under the employ of humans, not demons.

Discuss!

Phobos was the leader of the Doomguy's group. He along with everyone else in the group gets their ass kicked. Enter Doomguy.

Grimm said:

Phobos was the leader of the Doomguy's group. He along with everyone else in the group gets their ass kicked. Enter Doomguy.

I like that idea, but in the generations arena story Phobos was the superior Doom assualted, hence the mars visit. We got 2 possibilites here, and both of them seem quite good. I think that "he led the invasion of the demon-hunted tunnels" means that he went in to go destroy the demons. At least, that's what that except implies.

Also, it seems like from what i've read, Phobos is sort of Doom's rival. :)

Once again, Generations is not at all official stuff. All possibilities known publicly are unofficial, and therefore mere speculation.

If somebody can locate id personnel talking about Phobos, that would yield something more concrete.

I will look naive in saying this -

But I'm just ASSUMING you realize that we all know that and we are talking about a character in Quake III.

Right?

Personally, I think it'd be cool as fornication-related-expletives to have Phobos and Crash in the Doom continuity, mainly because they look so badass.

I'd love (HINT!) to see a decent singleplayer uhm, "thing", for a sourceport that crosses over the Doom/ Quake/ QUake 2 storylines, as I love all games so much (HINT!)... But that's just me...

Phobos was the 4th player in Doom.

See, red armor on him and red armor on the 4th marine.

If anyone one points out that his armor is orange, it's because the color faded due to falling in the acid too many times =P.

I like that idea, but in the generations arena story Phobos was the superior Doom assualted, hence the mars visit.

Then that makes even more sense. If we vaguely follow the intro to the Doom novels, Doomguy assaulted Phobos for some reason. Immeidately afterwards they get called to Mars. Doomguy goes with them but stays behind cuz he got in twoble, and has to sit in the corner. Phobos along with the rest of the group gets their asses kicked. Or maybe he survives. Whatever. Enter Doomguy.

You guys aren't actually considering accepting the Generations story is truth are you?

In one of DSM's stories he was doomguys commander on mars (NOT the one he assaulted on earth), and was belived to have died in the phobos base, but instead he survived and lived there alone for several years, looting supplies and avoiding demons..and going insane

Of course, DSM's story is no more 'offical' than the Generations one..

Ralphis: No they don't :D

Okay, so I've been away for a *short* while (Heh, yeah right)... and after a spell of lurking, I decided to get back in here, chat, that kind of thing. I'm still a helluva way away from even considering seriously mapping, though (Sorry to anybody that wanted Murderous Intent 2 or the Exhumed TC... but don't rule them out completely).

And, yeah, if *anybody else* is going to remark, yeah Jay's back whoop-de-frickin'-dooku. ;)