Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Prime

The Plot...

Plot

Throw away everything in the way of storyline that id has given us so far. True, every game has had its own interesting tidbits here and there, but they are exactly that: tidbits. Id has yet to give us a story that fully encompasses our imaginations and actually makes us feel like we are playing for a reason (other than kill everything, destroy everything, or find whatever). Take Blizzard, for example. Every one of their games includes a manual that has a gazillion pages devoted to backstory. Q2? We got about, what, 4-5 pgs? Even throughout games such as Starcraft and Diablo, we are constantly revealed plot twists that turn us in different directions. The same could be said for games like HalfLife and System Shock. When we play these games, we know we are taking on a role, and we are forced to continue playing to figure out exactly what the hell is going on. DOOM is one of my favorite games, but i must admit that in the way of story it is VERY weak. Level 1? Kill and get out. Level 2? Same thing. Yawn... Doom's backstory was interesting, but Id never bothered to run with it. Had they done so, they could have created a very intriguing scifi/horror story. Same with ALL of Id's games. Great ideas, but no great follow-through.

As far as I know (note : I use to halucinate a lot) DOOM will be a remake of the first DooM, but this time the backstory will be used like one should expect from a SP focused game.

Exactly. A slight hint of dread might be suggested to the player if they are walking around and suddenly notice something familiar. "Wait a second. There's something familiar about this place...I think I've been here before." If something bad happened there last time, worse may happen this time. Get it?

Speaking of remake.. would sorta be cool in some places to see parts of original doom maps.. :)

That is a good idea, but you know some nutcase out there is going to remake the original Doom maps for the new Doom, so I doubt id will bother with any full levels. Familiar sections throughout the game would be cool though, like Prime says, that eerie "I've been here before" feeling would kick in and take people by surprise.

Then again, they may use Doom2's Wolfenstein concept on some of Doom's original maps. I'd really like to see that as well.

Speaking of remake.. would sorta be cool in some places to see parts of original doom maps.. :)

Well I doubt anyone would recognize only parts of the original doom maps. And they can't emulate the entire level, because back then level design was *find the key* *find the door* blah blah blah..

In today's 3d-shooter genre games usually have Half-Life style level design. One continuous level, with flowing gameplay.

But I agree that the backstory to Doom was great. I especially was intrigued by the aspect that they were experimenting with instantanious travel. But when people walked through these gates, they would either go crazy, or never seen or heard from again

Nice

Well I doubt anyone would recognize only parts of the original doom maps. And they can't emulate the entire level, because back then level design was *find the key* *find the door* blah blah blah..

In today's 3d-shooter genre games usually have Half-Life style level design. One continuous level, with flowing gameplay.

But I agree that the backstory to Doom was great. I especially was intrigued by the aspect that they were experimenting with instantanious travel. But when people walked through these gates, they would either go crazy, or never seen or heard from again

Nice

That's a Great Idea! But I don't want Half-Life level design! Those levels suck! I want Shadow Warrior/Blood 1 Level Design!

That's a Great Idea! But I don't want Half-Life level design! Those levels suck! I want Shadow Warrior/Blood 1 Level Design!

Exactly what the hell is wrong with the HalfLife level designs? They were pretty realistic and involving. They had good variation. At least it wasn't "Find the key and Exit..."...

Doom has lots and lots of story, and then some more story. you just need some brain to figure it out.

What is this 'lots of story' you speak of? I wasn't talking about the doom novels or anything, just the story we got straight from ID in the games and manuals. Not a whole lot, compared to, say, Blizzard games. I think lots of story makes the game more involving...

Half life was an excellent game, but the level design SUCKED... talk about linear

Part of what MAKES.... NOT MADE... Doom so scary is the fact that its STILL a little different each time you play, if you run away, a monster might roam halls to find you, thats why qukae in my mind stands the test of time even though i though it was boring when i first bought it. Enhanced AI and open level design for doom X (or whatever)

Well, at least what little backstory in the DOOM manuals there was made some sense ^_^. You can have a small story that's clear or a huge, rambling one with no sense at all (a bit like me?). But DOOM's really not a game that requires in game story... at least not the classic DOOM. It's just good to know how Mr Marine got here, why he's here and what the heck those demons are up to. Yay.

But DOOM's really not a game that requires in game story... at least not the classic DOOM. It's just good to know how Mr Marine got here, why he's here and what the heck those demons are up to. Yay.

No offense, but I desagree. I mean, is it too much to ask to have some kind of explanation for the levels besides the Id patented "find the keys!"? Personally, I liked the way Id handled Quake 2's story. It was very...involving.