Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Monfriez

Doom in Japanese

Are there any wads that change the titles to Japanese?

Also dose any one here know Kanji?
I would like to use a string of Kanji that sounds like "Doom" when pronounced in Japanese.

And if there are any Doom fans that can write Japanese and might offer some help I'd appreciate that.
Thanks

thank you for the link
I hope to do this mostly on my own

but it is Kanji that I need the most help with, the resources I know of don't provide the information as I intend to use it

Oh I know, without a Japanese keyboard you're pretty much up shit's creek without a paddle. Good luck kiddo.

You can't have Kanji for an English word unless you translate it to a Japanese word.

That site gives you the katakana for the English word Doom and the kanji for a Japanese word it translates to.

This good dictionary I have tranlates Doom to a different but similar Japanese word: fu'un and here's the kanji of it from that site:
http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/S=48/fg=r/inline/jap/%c9%d4%b1%bf?TR

Does anyone have an idea how to get a hold of a Japanese keyboard?

Thank you,
but it's not that I want the word doom in Kanji, I want to use Kanji to create one made-up word that sounds like the English pronunciation of "doom"

like with Contra

Ok, enter copper or trunk given as English at the site and take your pick for the kanji of dou. I'd go with copper. Then enter umu given as Japanese and take your pick of kanji for it. I'd go with fester or existence one.

There you have Douumu which I guess is as close as you can get with Kanji and would sound like Dooom.

As far as the Japanese keyboard goes, all you need is a good IME (Input Method Editor). The Microsoft one sucks, so get the NJStar Communicator from http://www.njstar.com

So all you gotta do is enter in the Romajii for a word and it spits out the Kanji, Hiragana, or Katakana for whatever word you typed into whatever program you are using. (Even notepad can display Japanese characters when the program is running).

Ok, enter copper or trunk given as English at the site and take your pick for the kanji of dou. I'd go with copper. Then enter umu given as Japanese and take your pick of kanji for it. I'd go with fester or existence one.

There you have Douumu which I guess is as close as you can get with Kanji and would sound like Dooom.

Ok, even though I'm not japanese, but I still can read some japanese word somehow :D True, these 2 japanese characters sound sounds like the English pronunciation of "doom". However, the definition is completely different and it doesn't make sense at all in the meaning of word. The first japanese character means the metal-like of substance or element. The second japanese character means pustule or running sore; but in english "doom" means inevitable destruction or ruin; fate, especially a tragic or ruinous one. It can really work out hardly in the translation in 2 completely different languages.

Monfriez, on second thought maybe the closest thing to Doom in kanji would be if you cut out the middle kanji symbol of the three symbols, I picked out. With the three symbols it didn't sound right to my friend that knows more about Japanese than me. The last symbol seems to be actually a giant hiragana symbol but that's what the site gave as kanji so I guess it works.

Malevolent, thanks for the tip.

999cop, I know it doesn't make much sense but that's what Monfriez wanted. If you checked the Contra link it's apparently what Konami likes to do. The kanji for Contra means spirit battle cloth. My friend says they did about the same thing for Salamander (known as Life Force in the US).

There is no 'Encoding' meta tag in the HTML, look for yourself. It sticks with your default. If anyone here has downloaded the stuff to support other languages you can change them in the View menu. Unicode rocks. =)