Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Doom 3 performance on par with Far Cry?

Seeing how some parts of Far Cry are very similiar to that of Doom 3's, considering the awesome lighting and shadow effects, would it be safe to say that if a system can play Far Cry great (the indoor areas) then it should be able to play Doom 3 just fine?

Playing Far Cry has just made me even more excited to play Doom 3. Sure, some parts in Far Cry are pretty scary, but I know they'll be nothing like what's in store for Doom.

Hell I wonder if Doom 3 will run better considering id will probably try to optimize the living fuck out of it.

Considering Far Cry has a lot of enormous open areas and Doom 3 is mostly smallish corridors, I hope it runs as well.

Far Cry's lighting is nowhere near as extensive as Doom 3's.

And yes, Far Cry was fairly (in)tense.

Arioch said:

Far Cry's lighting is nowhere near as extensive as Doom 3's.

And yes, Far Cry was fairly (in)tense.

Its the same basic architecture though isn't it? All the fancy dx9 stuff that is with the shaders.

Its like a tradeoff between Far Cry's open areas and Doom 3s more complex lighting effects and optimizations.

As it stands I currently play FC with textures and lighting on high, and everything else on medium and I get a pretty constant 45+ fps and it rarely dips below 30. A lot of the indoor stuff gets around 50+ fps as well I've noticed.

Good stuff no less. I love how the trigens shine in the darkness when you point the flashlight on them. *shudders*

Yeah, you can grab it at any major gaming site really. Graphics wise, in the demo you don't get to see a lo tof the cool indoor areas, but its still what got me into the game atleast.

There were many small areas and corridors in FarCry, especialy one level where it went from small corridor to large corridor with at least 20 enemies in it, i experienced quite an fps decrease in this area. And many of the labs were like that as well.

Some indoor scenes in Far Cry don't look all that different from your average Doom 3 screenshot. Sure, there might not be as many lighting calculations going on to every pixel in the scene, but the end result is pretty impressive nonetheless.

AFAIK FarCry has different render nodes for indoor and outdoor areas.

Doom 3's lighting model, is much more advanced. Everything is lit and shadowed the same way. And the characters are much better in Doom than Far Cry. also, doom 3 is open gl 2.0 so it will run faster than Far Cry

Intel17 said:

also, doom 3 is open gl 2.0 so it will run faster than Far Cry

Er, what?

Where did you get this information on the new OpenGL 2.0??? opengl.org says something about a Windows->Linux games conversion that uses Open GL 1.5...

Carmack usually gets open gl material before its out. I rememmber reading him saying that he is going to use as much of OGL2 as possible in Doom 3. And it will run faster because open gl typically is faster than D3D

Maybe you're thinking of ARB2? Which is in fact the rendering path Doom3 will use out of choice.

iD is usually known for making good-looking game engines that run at very nice speeds. For example, the Quake 3 engine, although the game isn't that great, the game could run almost perfectly at 1024x768 on my old 400mhz Celeron with a Voodoo 3 2000. Hopefully Doom3's engine will be optimized nicely before its release.

Far Cry's outdoor scenes ran loads faster than the indoor scenes for me.... but saying that, I expect better performance from Doom3 to be honest. I sometimes found Far Cry's framerate indoors low for what I was seeing.

AirRaid said:

Maybe you're thinking of ARB2? Which is in fact the rendering path Doom3 will use out of choice.

Hmm? Where did you read this?

ARB stands for "architecture review board" the guys behind open GL. And i remember JC said in an early .plan that he would in fact try to utilize much of OGL2, but he called it the ARB2 path which makes sense.

toxicfluff said:

Far Cry's outdoor scenes ran loads faster than the indoor scenes for me.... but saying that, I expect better performance from Doom3 to be honest. I sometimes found Far Cry's framerate indoors low for what I was seeing.

True, the few scenes where my fps dropped,where mostly indoors.
There is this one little spot in the level "regulator" in the starting room. When I look directly at the shadow, that is being cast by the truck in the corner (opposite the door), my fps drops to 9 - the lowest value in the hole game so far. When I turn around to look at the door, it goes up again to 40. Strange...
I really hope that Doom3´s extensive use of shadows won´t cause things like this too often.

this is my rig

AMD 64-bit processor (3000+)
radeon 9800 xt (256 mb)
512 mb ram (pc 2300 i think)
7200 rpm 100 gb hd (124 mb transfer)
windows xp
asus ksv8 delux motherboard (DAMN good motherboard for 64 bit chips)

i play far cry withe verything maxed but textures, which is on high isntead of very high

everytime i runa level the first coupla times i fire a weapon it freeses for a second, then i dont get bothered by it. but its still choppy on occasion. the indoor areas have MANY more frame rate hiccups than the outdoor areas (few and far between, not even during the heavy 'battle' sequences)

whats with the odd fps drops for the indoor areas? and i would think my comp could handle it (granted my RAM is a tad low)

Deathmatcher said:

True, the few scenes where my fps dropped,where mostly indoors.
There is this one little spot in the level "regulator" in the starting room. When I look directly at the shadow, that is being cast by the truck in the corner (opposite the door), my fps drops to 9 - the lowest value in the hole game so far. When I turn around to look at the door, it goes up again to 40. Strange...
I really hope that Doom3´s extensive use of shadows won´t cause things like this too often.

Got it.

With our combined skillz we could spam this entire forum. z0rz.

mje said:

With our combined skillz we could spam this entire forum. z0rz.

And only one of us is needed to put a stop to that ...