Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caco-Puff

DooM Rally

Seeing as how this is possible in Quake why not DooM? I would happily do the car sprites,Anyone up for this? Of course it'd be done in Chasecam using a source port,But it doesnt seem to be too hard except for changing the way the DooMguy acts.Making him gain speed over time and slide around when turning.

Okay,Just wondering.Is it possible to replace the multiplayer sprites? Since it could be set up that each player colour is a different car.

I must warn you that every single Doom mod which involved racing cars (and I can think of at least three) has ended up being cancelled.

That's probably one of the reasons the ZooM team are so adamant that their mod is about people running around, not cars :P.

Yep :P The car bit makes it a bit too difficult and I figured it's more fun (and takes a lot more strategy) if you can shoot at each other anyway.

Caco-Puff said:

Seeing as how this is possible in Quake why not DooM?

We didn't need this in Quake and we don't need this in DOOM.

In case anyone asks, by "we" I mean "I".

Quake rally was great fun multiplayer.

I can't see how you'll get car physics in Doom, without source code changes.

What's the big deal? Make it a futuristic racing game like WipeOut, so the non-car-like handling is acceptable, and just replace the Rocket Launcher & Plasma Rifle with a new sprite, that's like inside the cock-pit (1st person view), and those 2 weapons are suitable for a game like this (just like Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, ...). ZDoom would probably we wise to go with...I might jump aboard and make a few maps if things go well. Sounds interesting :-)

Okay,Just wondering.Is it possible to replace the multiplayer sprites? Since it could be set up that each player colour is a different car.

Draw a green car

All my doomkart sprites are finished. I need an engine. Don't do it, because noone will program it for you

Reviving my own dead topic,I'd think it'd just be autocombat,Just change the weapons and make it so it's in chasecam 24/7.I've got lots of old games to rip car sprites from.Just set the gravity down and make some maps with jumps and such.

Okay so i've got sprites for the first car down,And i'm working on the deh patch as we speak.

What we'd need is a mapper/mappers to make some maps that are baisiccly just roads and such out in the open,With some unaccesable buildings (unless it's something a car would be in like a parking garage or something similar).Other then that i'd need some sort of script or something for Zdoom/Zdaemon allowing you to spawn in chasecam,and stay that way.

If anyone wants to make brand new weapons please contact me,Otherwise i'm just gunna use the orignal weps with modified sprites.

Hm, i'm planning a wad set in wide-open countryside with roads, and fences and the occasional building, while its gameplay will be quite different (its a zombe invasion that you need to survive), the maps should be right up your street, so far my wad has one half-made zombe sprite, but if i get as far as the maps (and you havent been flamed to fuck because vehicles in doom are "against the original feel", like saying that makes any fucking sense these days) i'll let you know

Yeah,I havnt got any negative response so far with the people i've tested with,And I plan for it to ship with 3 skin wads,That way people will have a selection of 4 cars.

But just wondering,Does anyone know how to make it so you spawn in Chasecam in Zdoom or Zdaemon?

Update:2 of the 4 cars are now done.

Okay,If I plan for this wad to be released any time remotely soon,I am in desperate need of mappers,I'm sure if a couple mappers throw in 1 or 2 maps it'll be more than complete.

Those are pretty cool sprites, in the actual levels we'll need to remember to make most of the land have boom friction specials, to simulate skids, unless whatever port your'e going for has some way to apply friction levels to things instead, which would be much easier

killer9 said:

Oh yeah, and take off strafe somehow. That would be a lot more realistic.

Strafing cars, nice.

Heh, oh yeah, maps...i've gotta finish off a semi-joke wad i'm making, then i'll get started on that zombie attack one again, i'll finish off the one zombie sprite and make the first map, then send it to you.., it should be flat, wide-open countryside with a scattering of small barns and a house, i'll make the house inacessible of course

Hmm,When using the mouse I find you have to keep moving it in one direction continiously to turn,Which makes doing a sharp turn somewhat difficult,With the arrow keys you can just hold it till your where you want to be.

Of course if your mouse is very quick moving it can make it hard to aim from the chasecam.

Anyways,I did a bit of quick modding to map 13 make it Autocombat suitable and so far all my testers said it was quite fun.They'res still the problem of a lack of DM chasecam in ZDooM or Zdaemon,But Legacy supports this through a console command regardless of the game mode.So you guys may be stuck with the bumper cam until someone finds out a way to make spawning in chasecam possible.

All 4 cars are done but more may be added in the future,But it's doubtful.But the skin structure only consists of about 8 different car sprites and the death sprites so making your own shouldnt be difficult,I also fixed the bug making it so that when the car exploded at death the game crashed.

You did take away the weapon sprites, right? And speaking of weapons, since it is Autocombat, what weapons are you going to use?

Weapons will be mostly the same but with modded sprites,Since they're supposed to be mounted on a car.

These could be the weapons...

Pistol: Bonnet-mounted chaingun (about as fast as normal chaingun)
Shotgun: Dont use it
Super shotgun: Same
Chaingun: Twin side-mounted miniguns (shoots very fast!)
Rocket launcher: Roof-mounted rocket launcher (the same really)
Plasma gun: Bonnet-mounted laser (Shoots as fast as the normal chaingun, give the plasma shots rotational sprites to look like laser beams, a laser just seems more 'autocombat' than the plasma rifle, though portable laser cannons dont exist now, why should they suddenly be easy to make in a post-apocalyptic world?)
BFG: Either dont use it, or make it a super-instant kill laser with a very slow firing rate, and no spray if at all possible