Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cassandra

a little precision please...

Hi,

Somebody knows exactly how is made the items count in Doom ?

1 - Is this the items collected ?
2 - Or the items discovered ?
3 - Maybe a combination of both ?

What are items exactly ?

1 - Items you could find in an empty map
(with no monsters I mean) ?
2 - Or items in the map + items grab on "bad guys" ?

Thanks to everybody who have helped me with the famous
(and ugly !) command line !
Now I know how to use it, it works and it's amazing !

About the items, I think it's talking about the power-ups and major items like that. So, yes, it would mean picking those items up. Unfortunately, that applies to every power-up. In some levels you can never get 100% items. An example:

Map27: Monster Condo you can never get 100% items because there are 2 computer maps, but once you get one, you can't get the second. Both maps count towards the item percentage. Sucks, doesn't it?

Oh...

Thanks to everybody who have helped me with the famous
(and ugly !) command line !
Now I know how to use it, it works and it's amazing !

Ya know, the commmand line parameters work great and make life stupendous, but were my suggestions on getting ZDoom launcher to work too ambiguous? Also, did you have a problem where if you pressed "launch game", it wouldn't launch? Well, the solution is simple; you saved your settings. That's a bug in the prog., if you save settings the game won't launch. Just delete the zdlaunch.ini file and, PRESTO! the game will launch again. Same thing happened to me, as did all the other problems you encountered. Now ZDoom launcher works perfectly for me.

Certain items in doom have a bit set that the doom hacking program "dehacked" calls "affects item %"

These are:

Health potion
Armour helmet
Soul sphere
Invulnerability sphere
Berserk sphere
Blur sphere
Computer map
Light amp visor
Mega sphere

Each counts as one item. If you had 50 of the above items on a map, each one would be worth 2%.

You make them count by picking them up.

A word of warning to map builders. Most of the above items can always be picked up, whether you need them or not. The computer map, however, can only be picked up once per level. If you put 2 computer maps on a level, 100% items is not possible.

Also (vaguely interestingly) the pre release beta of doom had a whole bunch of other interesting items (unholy bible, a sort of skull topped sceptre and some other things that escape my memory for the moment). These actually gave you points in a similar way to finding the treasure in Wolfenstein did.

The secret sectors work by you walking into them. There is a sector type (type 9 - in standard doom) that you can set when editing a map. If you have 4 such sectors in a map, every one you walk into will count as 25%

A word of warning to map builders. Most of the above items can always be picked up, whether you need them or not. The computer map, however, can only be picked up once per level. If you put 2 computer maps on a level, 100% items is not possible.

In some levels you can never get 100% items. An example:

Map27: Monster Condo you can never get 100% items because there are 2 computer maps, but once you get one, you can't get the second. Both maps count towards the item percentage. Sucks, doesn't it?

/me shoots Enjay

Some secrets are available only in "IDCLIP" mode.
Example Doom 2 map 15 "Industrial Zone"
The warp behind the wall on stairs...

Another example in "Bunker" (Plutonia I think)
Another warp (the room with pillars)...

You must walk on them without being warped to get those secrets.
I was wondering a lot about that and found the solution with the IDCLIP mode...

Is it considered as a bug ?
(like "Sever The Wicked" with its 90% available) ?

Yes, only 90% is possible on e4m3.

Taken from the compet-n website:

DOOM MAX

on U4M3, only 90%, on U4M7, only 50% of the secrets are required.

DOOM2 MAX

on MAP15, only 90%, on MAP27, only 87% of secrets is required.

on map27 I think it is possible to get 100% secrets, but you have to be lucky to do so, and thus it isn't required in compet-n.

E4M7, it's possible to get 100%
only if you have the jumping option.
I realize that the first time I play with Zdoom.

Just jump into the little cavity where the Invulnerability is (or a Soulsphere, I don't remember...) in the Cyberdemon's room.

You get 2 secrets at a time and then get 100%

On Doom 2 Map 27 "Monster Condo"
The first thing to do is to collect the first secret behind the far door in front of you at the beginning
(just behind the door and to the left)
You have about 30 seconds to collect it before it closes.
In the same way, you grab the Super Shotgun to make some better cleaning up =D

This brings up a question I've had on my mind for quite some time...
Is it possible to get the rocket launcher on MAP01 without cliping?
If so, how?
If not, why? Are they encouraging cheating?
/me stabs MAP01 level designer

If so, how?

Are you dumb? :)

in e1m1 it is not hard to get the rocket launcher. You know the switch that opens the door to the outside? Well, take the lift up to that switch, then walk out and jump onto the little platform. Then you can get the rocket launcher.

If so, how?

Anyway, I'll spoil the suspence again, as Cassandra says. You know that switch lift in the imp room? You know the slightly elevated light panel on the floor closest to it? Well, open the secret door at the top of the switch lift (with the switch that opens the door to the shotgun), stand all the way in the back of that room, run off the top of the lift, and you should be able to hit the top of that light panel I just mentioned. Make sure you're not running too fast, as you could run clear over it. When this has been accomplished, check the room that contained the health potions. There should be a door open behind it now, with the rocket launcher.

In case you couldn't understand those words, I have provided a demo here to make your life easier.

If so, how?

Speaking of wondering about certain things, I've always wondered if it was possible to get the BFG in Dead Simple, or if it was just placed there for deathmatch...

in e1m1 it is not hard to get the rocket launcher. You know the switch that opens the door to the outside? Well, take the lift up to that switch, then walk out and jump onto the little platform. Then you can get the rocket launcher.

Dammit, now I look like a dumbass. I should read walkthroughs every once in a while, I guess.

Speaking of wondering about certain things, I've always wondered if it was possible to get the BFG in Dead Simple, or if it was just placed there for deathmatch...

Deathmatch only.

Ooops,

shows how carefully I read your post, sorry.

Enjay gracefully accepts Crendowing's bullet in his head.

Yes, only 90% is possible on e4m3.

Right, I've spend a very long time trying to discover the last 10%... Very frustrating !!!

I wonder why this bug never been erased in upgrades...
(I think it's possible with a level editor but I don't know if we've the right to do that, maybe for self use only...)

You can get to the secret exit in map15 without cheating. You have to jump off the huge central building that's part on grass, part in molten ground, onto a small pillar of ground with a switch. I strafe right and rapidly press open so I hit the switch even if I overshoot the ground. The switch opens a wall adjacent to one end of the molten ground. There's a bunch of cacodemons and an invulnerability sphere in there. A linedef you walk across somewhere there opens up the secret exit.

Right, I've spend a very long time trying to discover the last 10%... Very frustrating !!!

I wonder why this bug never been erased in upgrades...
(I think it's possible with a level editor but I don't know if we've the right to do that, maybe for self use only...)

Probably because E4 didn't appear until version 1.9, which is also the latest version.