Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomaddict

Scary Doom levels

OH JESUS CHRIST!!!

I was playing Brains2 and I was in that maze. I was pretty tense. I eventually found that switch in the cave and all of a sudden "BRAINS!" I fucking jumped and quit the game! Man!

Lutrov71 said:

How the hell do you get out of the first room!?

EDIT: Worked it out. Dammit, I was scared even at the beggining of that wad. Walking down those stairs freaked the hell outta me.

If you had a hard time figuring that out, then you're going to have a hard time with the wad. And to help you out, the red key is in middle of the huge pot of blood.

Oh man, hahahaha. I played most of the wads you guys are talking about. You guys are so paranoid. They seriously didn't scare me that much. I have to admit, my favorite part was running around in the blood filled basement with all those pillars, running away from the ghost baron. That was nothing short of amazing.

killer9 said:

If you had a hard time figuring that out, then you're going to have a hard time with the wad. And to help you out, the red key is in middle of the huge pot of blood.

Actually I extracted the files from the zip and played the wad right away without knowing the deh file was there. I was like WTF? because there were blue keys and invulnerbilities everywhere but I merged the deh with the wad and played it.
I actually beat the level though...

Brains... Crap level design but that part at the end of the first one when you are going through all the vines was pretty tense, and so was walking around, you think everything is dead and won't come back to life and you hear 'BRAINS!'
Spooky...

I actually got scared at the beggining of e3m7. I hadn't played it for ages and my sound was really high because I had been listening to loud music, and I opened that secret door and the beggining of the level and those 2 cacos were in there.

killer9 said:

And to help you out, the red key is in middle of the huge pot of blood.

Not that you need it, of course. ;)

I actually jumped white playin Virgil's Claustrophobia, map01.
When You enter a hall and there is a pile of marine's gibs, and the spine-chilling music starts. The hall goes darker, darker, but I just gotta check what was there. Aaa! a hell knight-and a loud music starts. That was the first time a knight scared me and I liked that wad. Great.
Brains was more funny than scary. If the author would use different sprites than those wolfenstein mutants then it would be more atmospheric.

Nice, just pissed my pants playing Brains2. Too bad the level desing pretty much sucks.

Realm of the Green soul was pretty good. Kind of reminded of Half-Life, for some odd reason.

Asylum of the Wretched is legendary.

I would say Hell Revealed map 18, all the time there
are sounds of monsters teleporting,and then entering
the main hall with 5 millions of revenants and
hell knights...they make sounds too all at once..
..very intense and frightening map.

Nope.
I've a few scared from he part are you jumping and killed on Void.wad (Y'know, that wad with white and black imps.) .

Doom is only game, it's not scary.

I'm in the process of working on the sequal to my own scary wad. It's main intention is to create a thick atmosphere and a scary setting, plus, it's story driven. Those tha know me know what I'm talking about, those that dont', allow me to introduce myself, I am Lexus Alyus.

Okay, I created ROTGS... and i'm working on the sequal :).

As for this wad that everyone is mentioning, give us a link, if it's this damn scary I have to play it! I eat horror for breakfast :D.

AWP was really good for atmosphere and setting. I love wads that create a clear definition of location and I find wads that are just a bunch of sectors, claiming to be a base, as just a joke. Most doom levels are like that, it's good to start off with, but so much more can be done with the Doom engine... of course, that's just my opinion :D.

l3xu5 said:

Hey hey hey now, Realm of the Green Soul was sweet! Good to see the sequel is in the works :)

SSWolfenSie said:

Depends on how much you´re willing to get in
the right mood imo.

SSWolfenSie said:

Surely by this, you don't mean that a game cannot be scary?

SSWolfenSie said:

Doom is only game

DOOM is not a game this is black disk with something eggs on pictures.

DooMBoy said:

Hey hey hey now, Realm of the Green Soul was sweet! Good to see the sequel is in the works :)

There's a demo out if you'd visit the ZDoom forums... YOU FUCK!

There is also a demo out here... check out the editing forum :).

As for doom being scary, when I first started playing (way beack in 94) I was scared to death of the damn game! :D. For that time I was mostly scared to move on in some parts (E2m2 and E3m2). Still today a demon can occasionallyt make me jump... and for some reason, anything that involves Xenomorphs still scares me tday! I fount it really chilling to play Aliens TC (What an amaizing and classic TC! :D). Alien Trilogy was scary too... and the new AvP... I founrt it hard to move as the marine because I was too scared to move on :D.

I gotta get over my fears... probably because I watched Aliens when I was young and it had an effect on me, althoiugh it's strange because I really love them... yet fear them at the same time (Giger is one of my favorite artists...).

Allow me to suggest PoNR. I don't like pimping wads I've made (heh, though it might seem like it) but I believe that one's probably fairly relevant to this thread. Soon, though, I'll have more than PoNR to contribute in terms of atmospheric/scary? wads.

doomaddict said:

I am playing all the wads and writing a short review on every one of them and I will reach AOTW. (I am starting with ports for DOOM II first).

WE DON'T CARE

Job, you fucking asshole. I fucking hate bitches that suggest shitty wads and call them "scary" when they're just a piece of shit that shouldn't have been made. Fuck you.

Ultraviolet said:

There's a demo out if you'd visit the ZDoom forums... YOU FUCK!

Theres 27 pages of threads. Where is the demo?

Bashe said:

.....a piece of shit that shouldn't have been made.....

Who's to say what should and shouldn't have been made. I certainly wouldn't give you that role. Perhaps you'd like people to submit their new wads to you before they submit them to /newstuff, just to check that their wads are up to your *high* standards.

Shut the fuck up. I just hate it when someone says something is scary and intense when it's just 235983475893475893475 monsters in one little room.

Hey now, what's with all the name calling Bashe? Calm the fuck down and take a chill pill.
Although you are right about the monsters to tension ratio thing. There's certainly more than one way of making a map tense and/or scary without filling up every available amount of space on screen with monsters.

l3xu5 said:

I'm in the process of working on the sequal to my own scary wad. It's main intention is to create a thick atmosphere and a scary setting, plus, it's story driven. Those tha know me know what I'm talking about, those that dont', allow me to introduce myself, I am Lexus Alyus.

As for this wad that everyone is mentioning, give us a link, if it's this damn scary I have to play it! I eat horror for breakfast :D.

AWP was really good for atmosphere and setting. I love wads that create a clear definition of location and I find wads that are just a bunch of sectors, claiming to be a base, as just a joke. Most doom levels are like that, it's good to start off with, but so much more can be done with the Doom engine... of course, that's just my opinion :D.

I don't think I've played those wads, what do rotgs and awp stand for?

Edit: I just remembered Rotgs stood for realm of the green soul. Whats the other one?

Off topic --

I've seen this "Jehova Gyra" mentioned in other places. Two issues here. Why would you choose Jehova Gyra as a nick/alias/whatever? It means "the Lord, my provider." That's not cool at all. That's very plain and in a community of cyberathletes, it's dorky.

And, whether the person that chose that name realizes it or not, "gyra" is misspelled. I realize that might be intentional, but I'm just saying.

OK -- back on topic.

mje said:

Off topic --

I've seen this "Jehova Gyra" mentioned in other places. Two issues here. Why would you choose Jehova Gyra as a nick/alias/whatever? It means "the Lord, my provider." That's not cool at all. That's very plain and in a community of cyberathletes, it's dorky.

And, whether the person that chose that name realizes it or not, "gyra" is misspelled. I realize that might be intentional, but I'm just saying.

OK -- back on topic.

"Jehova Gyra" is a band that covered some Doom songs.

mje said:

That's not cool at all.

I don't think looking cool is a priority for them: