Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Action Doom on Contra?

OK -

Waiting for the first demos of players of Action Doom playing a runthrough on the hardest difficulty...

Somebody do it. :)

I've been trying actually...

Map01 and 02 are a breeze. But it gets tougher from there.

Grazza said:

I'll resist the temptation to [newproject] this.

You know resistance is futile do you. :P

http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/action02.zip

That took quite a few more tries than map01, naturally because it's longer, but also since I thought the highway route was the fastest. Wee, I slipped up a lot in that segment. :)

I pause in a few places to wait for the autosaves to kick in, since I don't think they can be ignored via a console command, or something. Also, I just quit the demo before crossing the exit line to map03, since there's no ending screen between the transition.

Grazza, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Hehe...I couldn't resist!

Ha! I just noticed the "Attack Agressively" message in your orders.

This is from Contra 3's intro, "Let's attack aggressively!!" Very funny Steve. :)

Vile said:

I pause in a few places to wait for the autosaves to kick in, since I don't think they can be ignored via a console command, or something.

I think you can disable autosaves via the config file. disableautosave=1 maybe?

Julian - you did a great job on the music. And yeah, it's good stuff for such demos. :)

http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/action03.zip

Yay! This one took a few hours to finish right. Between the two routes available, I'm not sure which one is faster, and looking back on it, I may have chosen wrong, but oh well. I died all over the place attempting this one, even on the jump to the helicopter after the Alien Boss (GAH!). Also, I noticed talk about this, but as the demo shows, you don't have to complete all three levels to reach the real final boss on map04... just the third map, apparently. Finding that out, I went ahead and finished the last level since it wasn't hard. :)

Julian: I love that new music as well. Speaking of which, is there an easier method of extracting them from the wad itself? I have some megawad music in my collection and I used nwt14b1 to extract them, which doesn't seem to like this particular wad, unfortunately. I've had trouble getting the other wintexs working altogether, so that idea's a bust. Any ideas?

Vile said:

Julian: I love that new music as well. Speaking of which, is there an easier method of extracting them from the wad itself? I have some megawad music in my collection and I used nwt14b1 to extract them, which doesn't seem to like this particular wad, unfortunately. I've had trouble getting the other wintexs working altogether, so that idea's a bust. Any ideas?

I didn't make all the tracks. Which one are you talking about?
Anyway, I think scuba could put the mp3s and oggs on a page if requested.

Julian said:

Anyway, I think scuba could put the mp3s and oggs on a page if requested.

Yes please.

Yessum, I collect a lot of game music so this would be very welcome. :)

Level 2 is so fucking laggy for me. I can't watch the demo. How do you people play this with such high FPS.

The framerate seems OK to me (on a P4 2.2 GHz). Just very slightly choppy near the start.

What's your hardware? (Sounds like it's best if you don't try to watch any Nuts demos though. :p )

Grazza said:

I'll resist the temptation to [newproject] this.

[newdemo]Grazza[/newdemo]

Grazza, before you go asking people to record demos for you, consider that... I don't know, how should a newdemo tag text look?

950mhz AMD Athlon, Radeon 9600 pro (probably unnecessary) and 512 MB RAM. I think the 950mhz processor is whats killin me. ;/

Well, just out of curiousity, the video card wouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Since it's not using openGL, etc...