Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RESOL

Why do people play DOOM????

I was thinking about why I started playing DOOM and realized that it was fun and I was wondering why everybody else played it also.

Wow...you know what...I have no idea why the hell I play Doom...its old, its ugly, I've played all the levels 100+ times, yet still I play...

well, actually, it's really hard to explain. I've built this unseperatable bond with doom ever since I played it, and I so far still have this strong feeling stays the same. I think you'll probably figure out somehow why when you really enjoy it deeply. It feels like you're married to doom or it's your bro. You fall in love with it!

It's fun. It's simple. It's pure madness and sensless mayhem. My fave computer game of all time. It's got a hell of a lot of replay value.

and precisely what 999cop said!

It's fun. It's simple. It's pure madness and sensless mayhem. My fave computer game of all time. It's got a hell of a lot of replay value.

and precisely what 999cop said!

I'd usually say ditt-fucking-o when I agree with someone, but that's only if it's negative. In this case, I'll say:

AMEN BROTHERS!!!!

I really don't know why, but loading up a game of Doom fulfills this empty void in my stomache while a game like Half-life doesn't.

It's the PURE carnage my friends.

Plain and simple.

Why do people play DOOM????

What? You got a problem with that?

Heh, but I got a problem with quake. First time when I started playing doom, I felt things; but when I began to play quake, I felt zero, nothing, goose egg

To be honest, my mother was obsessed with horror movies, and so that's what I was brought up on. I have always had a thing for horror, blood, gore, and the macabre. When I first saw Doom in action, it clicked as being an extension of what I cared about it. I've loved it ever since.

Not only is it fun it takes out anger, it is addicting, and nothing warms your sould like blowing the hell out of a cyberdemon.

For me, it's near perfect play-balance that does it for me. I think id did an excellent job balancing out the monsters' skill levels from being very easy at the beginning and gradually getting harder.

I really don't know why, but loading up a game of Doom fulfills this empty void in my stomache while a game like Half-life doesn't.

It's the PURE carnage my friends.

Plain and simple.

Maybe because Doom takes 1 second to load, and Half-Life takes 10 minutes (seemingly).

I like Doom because its fast and action packed. Not even Serious Sam comes near the level of fun of Doom because all of Sam's levels are gigantic boxes brimming with nothing but fights, there's no real exploration in that.

I like Duke3D for the same reason.

Its the same reason that I think most 3D FPS games are boring as fuck and they have to rely on all sorts of other gimmicks to keep your attention.

I like Duke3D for the same reason.

Duke3d had the most versitlile engine in its day. And the visuals rocked. 3D realms's levels didn't show the full potential...there are many cool user levels that were made. For instance:
One map called Alpha_One was a multi-level space station with a recreation area, swimming pool, bar, aquarium, and transit system. I played it many times just to look at the architecture.
Another, with a name I forget, took place in a base in antartica. I think either the reviewer or the author mentioned it reminded them of the movie The Thing (John Carpenter's version). I'd have to agree...narrow corridors and few enemies gave me the creeps. Plus there were all the nudie pix around, but oh well.
Plus there were various others including many which were basically city blocks complete with about 10 different buildings and a subway. Also there was a series of maps based in underwater research bases.
The Build engine just rules.

Because I just simply LOVE the feeling I get when I shove my shotgun up a IMPs face and blast it to smitherines.

It simply have a uniquie feel of physical precance that makes it feel soo right.. It's hard to improve perfection.

OH NO! He has returned to reclaim his fish! :-P

/me slaps Ebola with a leather glove

I challenge you....... to a duel! (preferably a post-count duel ;])

/me slaps Ebola with a leather glove

Wouldn't slapping Ebola with a wet trout make more sense in this situation? ;)

Ebola

EEK!

/Zaldron hides in deadnail's bunker.

I swear I'll stop posting here and finish those gfx ;)

Ebola

EEK!

/Zaldron hides in deadnail's bunker.

I swear I'll stop posting here and finish those gfx ;)

*COUGH*

first the duke3d engine was not very good for its timeing, 1996. most games at that time where starting to or had 3d models. The better engine of the time was the quake engine, fallowed by countless "true" 3d engine. the build engine was the last of the "2.5D" engines and came a bit late. however duke and the other build games where and still are fun

now as for doom, it was pure action for me. rich enviroment, kick ass sounds and levels, scary demons, and exelent game play. It was the first FPS i played and it was scary. still fun to this day. long live doom!

I've long contemplated why DOOM is the only FPS I play other than quake dming on occasion. I think it's DOOM's simplicity. I like simple games. FPSes these days are too cumbersome and cluttered with a confusing array of weapons and odd, random like monsters. DOOM is classic and quintissential in every aspect. The enemies particularly. The weapons, too, though. And the sounds, the sounds in DOOM are better than any other game period that I've played. Although Warcraft 2 has some good sounds as well. Like "zug zug" and "swozu" and "yes, milord", but DOOM takes the cake for groaning imps dying and roaring Barons declaring death upon you if you don't run like hell. And the speed at which you run, and the atmosphere. You all are prolly sick and tired of me saying it, but it's DOOM's simple, but effective architecture, it's "rooms" and "dungeons" that are like nothing else to be compared to. It was just done to perfection. What else is there to say. Jibber Libber Fruit and Zigger. The new DOOM prolly won't be as fun and addicting even though it will be a technological breakthrough that we will all most certainly be blown away by. I doubt id will be able to pull off an atmosphere and replayability DOOM managed, but that, of course, has yet to be seen.

Just me thoughts on DOOM.

I play it because it's on the darker side of the gaming spectrum, so to speak. It's dark, violent, moody, and most importantly, FUN. I've loved Doom ever since I saw Doom's first level, E1M1, The Hangar.
'Nuff said!

I dunno man, I was taken by Wolfenstein, and Blakestone, but when I first played DOOM, and walked through the burning inverted cross, and blasted on-slaughts of infinite enemies, I was taken to a new level in video gaming, not only was it the best 3D game I had ever touched or played, but it was about being trapped in a seemingly inescapable hell, and you had nothing to rely on to escape but pure skill and focus, I like that,it's very metaphoric, plus I can relate to darkness, I love industrial musick, and have been into horror since I was 4, and have read and re-read all of H.P Lovecraft's writtings! :)

Of course you can not leave out the fact that the DOOM engine as primitive as it looks, is quite capable of pulling off some amazing feats! With total acess to the source code, you can put DOOM on about anything with a display screen, and a means of control, it is already being ported to the Sega Dreamcast @ www.dcemulation.com, many source ports have been made for about every OS, and to top it all off, new features such as water, ambeint sounds, 3D floors, GL Support, ect. have been added, giving DOOM a fresh breathe of life!

I could go on and on, but really when it comes down to it, I can not begin to explain to you why DOOM has never became old and repetative. I am just drawn to it, and most days, it brings me much joy.

the reason why I still play doom is because its one of the only games that is fast paced action with thousands of monsters coming at you. I always been attracted to Doom, and editing maps keeps me satisfied.