Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Quake III redone in ray trace engine

Well, specifically, these are for jDoom. If you tried to use them in Quake III, they would look terrible because of missing animation frames.

err I think.

Hmm, did the raytracing reinvent the lighting or something, because when I play quake 3 it never looks like that.

lerner said:

Hmm, did the raytracing reinvent the lighting or something, because when I play quake 3 it never looks like that.

Ummm check out those horrible shadows and other effects.

oh my goodness those look completely terrible waaaa :(

If they added the Alpha Doom3 resources to that engine, they get the actual Doom3 game...

lerner said:

Anyone else feeling this influx?

There are lots of differences.

Note the (this is not an error) 30+ GHz requirement to get 20 fps.

(yes, thirty plus gigahertz)

Deathman said:

If they added the Alpha Doom3 resources to that engine, they get the actual Doom3 game...

Hell no. Granted, the screenshots of this Q3 bastardisation look pretty weird and only impressive from a technical standpoint. But if you'd manage to actually plug a raytracer like this into Doom 3 (and get it to render at more than 20 frame per second without having to throw a dozen processors at it), it'd look tons better than the Doom 3 engine itself.

mje said:

There are lots of differences.

Note the (this is not an error) 30+ GHz requirement to get 20 fps.

(yes, thirty plus gigahertz)

I can't find that quoted, just a 90MHz chip providing the equivalent of a 12GHz P4.

Lord FlatHead said:

Hell no. Granted, the screenshots of this Q3 bastardisation look pretty weird and only impressive from a technical standpoint. But if you'd manage to actually plug a raytracer like this into Doom 3 (and get it to render at more than 20 frame per second without having to throw a dozen processors at it), it'd look tons better than the Doom 3 engine itself.

Well, true.

But I still think doom 3 is just a revamped Quake3 engine.

Looks good to me. You gotta whatch the videos because the screenies don't do it justice. There aren't any character animations but you get the idea of what they can do.

-E

Deathman said:

But I still think doom 3 is just a revamped Quake3 engine.

What do you mean by this?

I am saying Doom3's engine is a modified version of Quake3's engine in my opinion.

Deathman said:

I am saying Doom3's engine is a modified version of Quake3's engine in my opinion.

I thought it started out as that but as development went along they found they needed to re-write more and more parts with the end result being a virtual re-write of the whole thing anyway.

-E

Endureth said:

I thought it started out as that but as development went along they found they needed to re-write more and more parts with the end result being a virtual re-write of the whole thing anyway.

I also remember hearing the AI was the Q3A bot code in a past life, but that was a while back.