Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

First Doom 3 DM tournament announced

http://www.quakecon.org/

I personally think giving huge amounts of cash to people because they're good at a game is stupid. But this still sounds neat - and hopefully because none of the attendees have actually played the game yet, the playing field will be pretty even. Anyone here planning on going to Quakecon ?

Lord FlatHead said:

http://www.quakecon.org/I personally think giving huge amounts of cash to people because they're good at a game is stupid.

Like in tennis or soccer?

yea well watch the ID testers join and have like 200 hours of play time like the UT tourney.

Ahhhh man, wish I could be there.

At least it confirms that the game will be out on or before August 12th. That means sometime within the next 37 days, and likely on August 3.

While I could really not give 2 shits about the tournament, it means that the game will be done by then (hopefully) atleast it seems like that in my eyes.

i would bet my house, even though i dont own a house, that the games is done at this very minute

Sephiroth said:

i would bet my house, even though i dont own a house, that the games is done at this very minute

Explain.

I wouldn't exactly say this levels the playing field. All it does is lower the learning curve. I think the people who eventually are going to win will pick up on the gameplay almost immediately and annihilate the rest.

Lord FlatHead said:

Really ? Says who ?

Well... considering QuakeCon begins on August 12th, and a DOOM 3 tournament is going to be at QuakeCon...

I figured the game would be out by then so people could be in the tournament. uuuuuuuuh

Doesn't matter. The tournament won't be played with the BYOC machines.

They'll have dedicated tournament machines with Doom 3 pre-installed for the people to play on the actual tourney rounds.

Eh, you have a point. They are not the byocs -- they are showing off the 6800. At any rate, you KNOW somebody's going to pirate the game there and release it anyway, or at least whatever kind of build will be used on the machines.

Heh.

Lord FlatHead said:

I personally think giving huge amounts of cash to people because they're good at a game is stupid.

Yeah, baseball could use a salary cap. Damn Yankees.

-E

mje said:

Eh, you have a point. They are not the byocs -- they are showing off the 6800. At any rate, you KNOW somebody's going to pirate the game there and release it anyway, or at least whatever kind of build will be used on the machines.

Heh.

Just like somebody pirated the Doom 3 MPtest from the last Quakecon?

Well, more like how those guys stole the single existing MGS3 demo on the floor at E3 this year.

It can happen, and it shouldn't be surprising if a copy of the full game (or whatever it's going to be) gets leaked if it's installed on muliple machines.

mje said:

Well, more like how those guys stole the single existing MGS3 demo on the floor at E3 this year.

And we see the MGS3 demo leaked out and about, do we?

Not to mention that that was a console game, and therefore far easier to walk out with the demo DVD.

Not necessarilly, since it was protected in a plastic/glass/whatever case, and there was only one of them on the floor, as opposed to tons of other copies.

Also, the data on that dvd could be on the internet. I've never gone searching for it, but if they wanted to leak it, they could. Whether they choose to or not has nothing at all to do with how easy or hard DOOM 3 may be to steal from QuakeCon.

If it's not stolen, yay for id. I'm just saying it's not hard at all to imagine that it could be.

My guess is it will be released before QuakeCon. I'm just curious as to why Id hasn't released a date yet. Surely they must know when it's hitting shelves by now. Maybe they just plan on staying quiet until it goes gold.

Gimme Doom!

-E

Nice, I hope you guys are right about the release before Quakecon. There is an Electronics Boutique (a computer game store) here in Boston that says it gurantees Doom3 by July 21st. ?? Well, I hope they're right.

So what are they giving out if the game isn't out on the 21st? Gaming stores (esp. EB) should have learned long before now to guarantee NOTHING because all they do is sell the game, not produce it or create it.

High

I don´t see any evidence for a release date before or on Quakecon, either. What if they just install a copy of the game on 128 pcs, and make sure noone will be able to steal it. A year before, everybody was talking about the demo being released or at least being stolen from Quakecon and what happend? Nothing of this.
I could also imagine that they will install a multiplayer-only-version and that the full game will be released to the public not before the end of Quakecon.
I do hope it´s going to be released before Quakecon though, and it´s at least a little bit likely.

I bet they will be having a lot of fun playing like 100000000000 4-man DM games.

Just imagine how many servers they will have to use just to be able to fit every Quakecon player into the millions (sarcasm, btw) of servers! :)

IMO allowing only 4 players at once in a DOOM 3 DM game was just a slight mistake.....

Considering it will almost certainly be a 1v1 tournament, I wouldn't expect very many four-player games going on. :)

mje said:

Considering it will almost certainly be a 1v1 tournament, I wouldn't expect very many four-player games going on. :)

Oh, lol.

Well how long would that take!??

Anyone wanna bet the next headlines in the news will say "QUAKECON BUILDING BURNT TO A CRISP AFTER SERVER OVERLOAD STARTED FIRE!"

haha! :)

I don't know how long it would take, but they do it with Quake III every year. So I'm sure they'll manage.

chubz said:

IMO allowing only 4 players at once in a DOOM 3 DM game was just a slight mistake.....

as long as they allow mad specs, it'll be fine IMO.