Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BattleRat213

Help needed: Lost in Unholy Cathedral

Hey. I need some help before I go nuts here: Where the hell is the yellow door in E3M5, "Unholy Cathedral"? I have the yellow key and I'm in that little "center" section where all around me are doors with warp zones in front of them. I've tried them all and I keep getting warped to the same two places (one of them being right back where I am now) . . . so where do i go?

Thanks.

Try the big center room =P
Some walls are not what they seemed to be...

*Very good level anyway*

Becoming nuts with Doom is very cummon, see me with E4M1...

It's a secret door. You know that big courtyard in the center of the level with the teleports? Well, at the easternmost wall of that courtyard there's a "flame window". The wall just to the right of it when you face it is the secret yellow door that contains a chainsaw and soulsphere.

Oh, and the flashing teleport in the NW corner of the room will get you out of there.

It's a secret door. You know that big courtyard in the center of the level with the teleports? Well, at the easternmost wall of that courtyard there's a "flame window". The wall just to the right of it when you face it is the secret yellow door that contains a chainsaw and soulsphere.

Oh, and the flashing teleport in the NW corner of the room will get you out of there.

You've killed the suspens ! ;)

Wow, pinch me, I'm dreaming! No technical problems, no source port bugs, but someone is actually posting becuase they need help getting through an original doom level!

Anywho, you'll notice that the mappers at/formerly at ID had a tendency to put a lot of unnecessary areas and paths in the original doom (sometimes doom 2) levels, Mt. Erebus being a great example. The yellow key in the Unholy Cathedral is one of those little extras, unless my memory's playing tricks on me.

You've killed the suspense! ;)

My philosophy on secrets:

At first the player should just worry about beating the game. Then when they play it a second time, try to look for as many secrets as they can. The third time, they should take a shitload more time to find the hardest secrets without cheating or asking for help. Only when the player has become so frustrated after looking forever to find the secretest of secrets should he or she ask for help.

Once this person knows the secret, then I believe he or she has every right to offer some help to those in "need".

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Anywho, you'll notice that the mappers at/formerly at ID had a tendency to put a lot of unnecessary areas and paths in the original doom (sometimes doom 2) levels, Mt. Erebus being a great example. The yellow key in the Unholy Cathedral is one of those little extras, unless my memory's playing tricks on me.

Yes, and those "unnecessary areas and paths" are called secrets.

At first the player should just worry about beating the game. Then when they play it a second time, try to look for as many secrets as they can. The third time, they should take a shitload more time to find the hardest secrets without cheating or asking for help. Only when the player has become so frustrated after looking forever to find the secretest of secrets should he or she ask for help.

I know you're right, I just kidding as you know.

I just remember a thing about the yellow key, but in the PSX version...
I never could open the yellow secret door of that level, even with the key. It never works.

Some of you already have this problem ?

Crendowing: BUt did you have to tell him what was in the secret? I think it's good to start with: "It's not essential to find the yellow key door. One thing I will say is that it's not marked and there's no reason you'd notice it." And maybe tell him what room it's in. And if he still needs help, well... he shouldn't still need help....

an unique moment

Not quite as bad as "an retarded"...

it may not sound like it, but an unique is the correct way to say it (use "a" before a consonant, and "an" before a vowel)...last time I checked "u" was a vowel :P

it may not sound like it, but an unique is the correct way to say it (use "a" before a consonant, and "an" before a vowel)...last time I checked "u" was a vowel :P

No, I think its the sound that counts, for instance its 'an hour' because you don't pronounce the h. Unique starts with a yoo sound. In this case, y is a consenant. Y is only used as a vowel if its at the end of a word or if your're writing in scandinavian. (i.e. Yggdrasil, Ysgard)

Yggdrasil...I love that word.

I think it's prefectly legitimate to look at a manual/ask for help to find the secrets. Of course not all levels have manuals, so it may be helpful to be able to discover things yourself. Personally I found every single secret Doom for the SNES except for that one in E2M4(in SNES it's the third level in the episode if you don't take the secret exit) with the computer area map. I spent a long time looking for it but couldn't find how to get there. If someone tells you what a secret is, make sure you understand it though.

I just remember a thing about the yellow key, but in the PSX version...
I never could open the yellow secret door of that level, even with the key. It never works.

Some of you already have this problem ?

IIRC, they took out that door in the PSX version. No secret there. Just an unnecessary yellow key.

IIRC, they took out that door in the PSX version. No secret there. Just an unnecessary yellow key.

Pretty weird, because there's something on the map.
And when you cheat with the "see beyond the wall" trick,
you can see the chainsaw and the supercharge...

And you can't get 100% secret too...

Frustrating