Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Commibstrd

Idea for a Multiplayer mod..

Ok, first off I'm new to the Doom community (not Doom, I've played it forever just not online until recently) so some of the stuff I may say might sound n00bish to say the least. You've been warned! ;)

Let me just say that one of my favorite things to do in Doom was to get the monsters to fight each other and kick back and watch the show. Then it hit me.... I think it would be really cool if you could play as ANY monster online and fight against other players who also can play as ANY monster.

Now how it would work exactly I have no friggin idea, I'm not a modder/mapper... But the way I see it the mod could be set up in two different ways:

The first way would be the ability to choose your monster from the start of the game. And depending on which monster you choose, and which monsters you kill with your monster, you will be awarded points accordingly. (example, if I kill an imp with a zombie guy, I get more points than I would if I were an imp that killed a zombie guy)

OR, an idea that better appeals to me: Start your way at the bottom of the chain, and if you frag people you are awarded points to upgrade your monster. (Example, everybody starts off as a Regular Zombie guy, but as the kills rack up players can upgrade to shotgun zombie guy, chain gun zombie guy, imp... ect... ect..) There would be a set ammount of points required for each monster (The most expensive being a Cyberdemon / Spider mastermind of course)

That's pretty much the idea, I would love to see a mod like this developed... but I realize it's problably never going to happen.

And yes, I'm pretty sure this idea has been thought of before... but I looked at the threads and I couldn't find a subject that related to my idea (If one exists please tell me where to find it)That's all for now, feed back would be appreciated (Good or bad) :)

The idea of gaining points on frags would not be fully balanced, as when the player became a cyberdemon, other players still at Imp or Hell Knight status would have a hard time killing them to gain points.

With a little work, I could see it working.

Why not flip it round?

Players could start as cybers and if they're clearly the best they get downgraded to Baron or whatever - that might level out the skills.

Might be better to actually start at Baron actually as the really big monsters are a bit too big.

Good points the both of you.

I just wish I knew how to make mods... :(

But what I'm wondering is, how difficult would it be to make a multiplayer mod such as this? I see many great Multiplayer mods out there such as Dwango 5 and ZDaemon CTF but I wonder how long it took the developers to make them.

Since I have no idea what's involved with making these mods... I can only guess

Well, what the hell, it's not like Doom is going away anytime soon. The project can be continious if it'll really take that long/open source is always fun.

You know, if I had any time left on my hands, I'd probably sit down and make some of this for my own enjoyment.

I'd see it as this: Players get to choose a "starter" class at the beginning of the game, like Hexen, and based on their skill level, they gain a certain number of points, and, also based on skill level, they will eventually get to upgrade to another monster. For example:

STARTER MONSTER: SHOTGUNGUY
SKILL: MEDIUM
POINTS REQUIRED: 2500
POINTS GAINED FROM ZOMBIEMAN: 50
Or...
STARTING MONSTER: SHOTGUNGUY
SKILL: NIGHTMARE
POINTS REQUIRED: 5000
POINTS GAINED FROM ZOMBIEMAN: 20
Get it?

Yeah all these ideas sound cool... Damn, could you imagine this multiplayer mayhem with Doom3's monsters? Wow.. lol

But keeping to the point, I like the general idea of earning points to get better monsters and starting out with a certain class depending on your skill level, like Darkhaven said

Keep the ideas coming! I like what i've seen already

Well, the part about actually choosing your own monster; I could see that done quite easily through dynamic wad loading in a batch file with WADS containing their own DEHACKED lumps...

No idea what you just said, but that's because I don't know how to mod lol Wish i knew though... I'm still trying to create a decent level with Doom Builder, not working out to good :S

you could have it set up so you can start out as a shotgun guy or a former human commando(heavy weapons dude) and work your way up so if you were origionally a shotgun guy, you'll end up a cyberdemon one day and former chaingunners would be spider masterminds

Interesting concept you have there... kindava split option thing...

What your suggesting could be considered a "tree branching" system, where you require to be certain monsters before youc an get certain monsters.

Damn you people have some cool ideas