Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. NobodX

Hexen and gothic textures?

Straight conversions don't rely on what art tool you may have. If it's Doom to hexen conversions, you may want to look into converting the images to the Hexen Palette if the colors on the textures don't look right. First you should just try using the texture set with hexen with no modifications.

Mr. NobodX said:

Just wondering: Has anyone ever converted the Gothic texture set to Hexen?

And no, i can't do it myself because all i have is Paint =(

Nothing to it - takes about 3 minutes or less :)

1. Make a copy of the file, call it gothictx-hexen.wad.
2. Open this file in DeePsea using the HEXEN project.
3. Press F7 and select DeePsea Graphics Editor
4. Click on Convert Textures - say the existing format is DOOM
5. Click Save All - don't make a backup (answer no) since this is a copy we are working with.

Repeat for Convert Flats

All done.

oh, great tip deep. you seem to have forgotten to mention that he'd have to pay $40 for that tho.

Anders said:

oh, great tip deep. you seem to have forgotten to mention that he'd have to pay $40 for that tho.

Nope. The shareware does this for FREE, so I guess he saved $40 and a lot of hassle :)

None of the general F7 tools are limited in any way.

Anders said:

please refrain from trolling about deepsea unless you are actually informed about the software, because now you just look like an idiot (and I've veeery sick of the 'deepsea sux it costs $40!!' trolls). I'm going to start losering people for this stupid shit.

Cyb: in what way am i not informed? deepseas page say "DeePsea full version foreign $34 + $6 s/h = $40"

And I didn't say this couldn't be done in the shareware version. If he's lucky he didn't try deepsea out more then 30 days ago, since if he did he's no longer allowed to use the shareware version. (this also according to the deepsea page.)

Anders said:

Cyb: in what way am i not informed? deepseas page say "DeePsea full version foreign $34 + $6 s/h = $40"

And I didn't say this couldn't be done in the shareware version. If he's lucky he didn't try deepsea out more then 30 days ago, since if he did he's no longer allowed to use the shareware version. (this also according to the deepsea page.)

I don't care if you use the tools till hell freezes over. That's just a standard license wrapper from way back - I should get around to changing that :)

Assuming that I did care:

Since I can't know if someone used it past 30 days and since there is no time limit in the code - the real world usage is for as long as you want. Which is the real answer to someone wanting to solve a problem [many other programs work the same way where effectively there is no time limit].

Is it posible to convert Hexen sprites into Heretic pallete with that ease?

Vegeta said:

Is it posible to convert Hexen sprites into Heretic pallete with that ease?

Yes. Any game to any other game. Data can come from IWADs or PWADs.

What you do is first select the project that is to be the final result. IOW, in this case select HERETIC.PRJ. That determines the destination palette.

Then open the file containing graphics that you want to convert. The tools asks you what game the original graphics came from. So in this case you say HEXEN.

This same Tool (F7 - DeePsea graphics editor) can also automatically export all the SPRITES into 1 file from any Game (or textures or flats).

In case there are other PWADs loaded, "Close All Files" before you Open the PWAD with the graphics to convert. This is to make sure you are picking up just the file you are interested in, otherwise it does all the PWADs loaded.

Some conversions may have a few "blue" issues - just depends on the combination selected, since any game converts to any other game and some game palettes have colors that do not exist in the other game. These can be solved with some adjustments in color options, but this gets to be a bit of an art. Probably easier to adjust the few that may be that way manually:)

You do this, by exporting the problem image as a BMP, use PSP, load the right palette and tinker away. Then just merge it back in (F7-Merge), by deleting the original image, click the image to insert after and then save in the Merge tool. Should make it so a deletion keeps the original location - working on some other stuff there anyway, so I hope I remember:)