Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Erp

Will Doom3 change things here?

Will all of the best mappers stop working on the old and switch to the new? That would suck.
Quakeworld went downhill after Q3 came out. Will the release of Doom3 make Doomworld an advertising bloated stinkhole too?
Will a sudden rush of new forum members who know nothing about Doom 1 or 2 ruin it for everyone here now?
I just thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

Erp said:

Will a sudden rush of new forum members who know nothing about Doom 1 or 2 ruin it for everyone here now?

They won't be too much of a problem. Just be prepared for one of them to find JDoom and proclaim that it's the best port, thus starting a rather large flamewar.

Will the release of Doom3 make Doomworld an advertising bloated stinkhole too?

There is NO FUCKING WAY the admins will let that happen. So don't worry about it.

Darkman 4 said:

They won't be too much of a problem. Just be prepared for one of them to find JDoom and proclaim that it's the best port, thus starting a rather large flamewar.

I thought that was a weekly attraction?

Erp said:

These questions have been brought up many times before. The consensus is that they are very different games, and those with an interest in the original Dooms will not suddenly lose this interest. And there might well be an influx of n00bs, some sensible, some silly. Fear not, the ban-cannons are ready.

Grimm said:

There is NO FUCKING WAY the admins will let that happen.

They don't have any control over that. That's a Telefragged thing.

It won't change anything, as DooM and DooM 3 are totally different games in the same way that Wolfenstein and RtCW are.

Darkman 4 said:

When Doom 3 comes out, it'll be daily. :P

Depends if they want to make maps or not (in which case it'll be a ZDoom flamewar...)

Heh, its all mindless favouritism at the end of the day though. Is Doom 3 better than Doom, is Zdoom better than Jdoom, is ice cream better than cake bla bla bla

Why call different people's opinions mindless? In order to say something's better there has to be someone to say it in the first place.

In my opinion, all opinions are opinionated. I dont need to read two people arguing which is better, I already know that I like both of them. And if I can like both, why cant other people?

Besides, I said nothing about a preference being mindless. Everyone is entitled to that, but the need to be vocal about it is a subtle destructive act, probably born of jealousy. If something is of any merit, then it shouldnt need any more backing than a true description of what it is. Much better to leave the playing field level and let the individual make his own mind up.

chilvence said:

In my opinion, all opinions are opinionated.

That's just your opinion.

Heh. I wondered how long it would take :)

Let me put it this way. Doom3Fan comes into doomworld after just having beaten Doom3. He makes a post and a few people respond.

Situation One:

Doom3Fan: I like Doom3

ClassicDoomFan1: Yes, its good

ClassicDoomFan2: I liked the revenant's pants

Everything is nice and happy and the sun pours its rays from the sky as if it were the last day.

Sitiuation Two:

Doom3Fan: Doom3 is better than Doom1

ClassicDoomFan1: What are you smoking you stupid leper

ClassicDoomFan2: /slits wrists

As you can see, by asserting his opinion over other people's, Doom3Fan has stirred up a whole threads worth of mindless bullshit not worthy of reading. Oh my, if he had only listened to my advice!

chilvence said:
ClassicDoomFan1: What are you smoking you stupid leper

That's me!

And ClassicDoomFan2 can suck it for bein a wuss.

Ultraviolet said:

They don't have any control over that. That's a Telefragged thing.

Yeah but if that did really happen I'd lay a small wager there'd be no admins, so we'll see.

Doom3 is clearly going to change things to a certain degree but not totally. We're prepared.

chilvence said:

is ice cream better than cake

Icecream kicks the SHIT out of cake 6 days of the week, and cake totally dominates on sundays.

Erp said:

Will all of the mappers stop working on the old and switch to the new (Doom3)?

No way. I said it in the past. I'm not going to make maps for Doom3, ever.

Trasher][ said:
Icecream kicks the SHIT out of cake 6 days of the week, and cake totally dominates on sundays.

WTF Icecream suxx ok urdumbkthx

Trasher][ said:

what about Icecream cake?

Look around post hell for something i started like "How to spot a doomworld newbie after doom 3 comes out", i expect threads from doom 3 fans who where like 2 when Doom came out with titles like:

"Where is the machine gun?"

"How can i get to gamma labs?"

"Is Episode 2 set in the delta labs?"

"So doom takes place on mars and doom 2 takes place in hell right?"

and, of course

"If i kill 10,000 enemies with the baseball bat do i get to the secret level?"

Erp said:

Will the release of Doom3 make Doomworld an advertising bloated stinkhole too?

1) No.
2) If they don't know anything about D1 or 2, their reference level is so insanely low they couldn't ruin our conversations if they TRIED.

Erp said:

Will all of the best mappers stop working on the old and switch to the new? That would suck.
Quakeworld went downhill after Q3 came out. Will the release of Doom3 make Doomworld an advertising bloated stinkhole too?

I plan to start mapping for Doom3 after my current Doom2 game is done. I've been meaning to get into 3d level design for a while, but I've been stuck with Doom2 for a good while now. I will definitely keep on playing classic Doom, check out new stuff, I'll still make maps from time to time too.

One thing i think the admins should take notice of, is the sharp rise in the word "gay" used to describe grainy graphics or bad sound quality, and i think anyone uttering the phrase "omg why are you posting news about the old dooms, theyre dead!" should get an instant ban

Oh yeah, and if an archive for doom3 stuff should come into being (i should think a lot of it will be over 50 megs, and therefore banned from THAT archive), there should be seperate /newstuffs for doom3 stuff and classic doom stuff, maybe the normal one on a sunday and doom3 stuff on a wednesday or something

My computer can't handle DOOM 3, so I just hope to see tons of maps based on it, and specially stuff converted into classic DOOM.