Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Doom Collectors Edition

I´m not sure wether this was covered before but does anybody know wether any other port than Doom95 comes with the collector´s edition?
The system requirements on id store say Win XP but I know Doom95 has sound issues and other probs on certain XP systems.

Would be nice if id was somehow able to port doom/2.exe extremely faithfully to XP. Not that they would. Just saying.

Dron said:

I have no problems with sound when running Doom95.

Neither do I - just the mouse. But that's what source ports are for.

Maybe I didn´t make my point clear: I don´t want to buy the collectors edition and I´ve been using ZDoom for a long time now, only id Software wasn´t supposed to sell a product for Win XP, when it actually isn´t compatible with it.
But if DooM95 runs fine with XP, there shouldn´t be a problem for them and any legal issues.

Deathmatcher said:

Maybe I didn´t make my point clear: I don´t want to buy the collectors edition and I´ve been using ZDoom for a long time now, only id Software wasn´t supposed to sell a product for Win XP, when it actually isn´t compatible with it.
But if DooM95 runs fine with XP, there shouldn´t be a problem for them and any legal issues.

How is it breaking the law being sold a game you can't run on your computer?

POTGIESSER said:

How is it breaking the law being sold a game you can't run on your computer?

Not exactly "breaking" the law. Imagine a company re-releasing a game in 2004 that springs from, say, 1992, which only runs in DOS but printing Win XP at the new package. Wouldn´t gamers want their money back?

simply put you are not gonna get the DOS experince in winXP!

use a port if you use anything above win98/me!
if not set up a dual boot system or drag that old rig out of the closet.
doom.exe may or may not run in XP. usally the sound is SB 8bit emulation, i am sure there are apps for better sound
most emulators are poor, use too much system resources to play doom. great for older games though.
prboom and a few others are fairly kosher, if you are a doom purist.

by the way i have never seen a company get in trouble for selling a game that doesn't work in windows 2000/XP, even when it says so on the box.

example is the "history channels, civil war" or similar name, by cat daddy games.
simple fact is that the game will NOT run in windowsXP/2000. it has to be one of the worst made games i have seen recently. as far as i know a patch to correct this problem has still not been released. I have tried it on several systems, with XP/2000 and looked this issue online. the issue is the same for everyone. the game would not work in winXP/2000, winME was the highest it could use. i am sure there are other games like this, and many re-releases that have this issue

Deathmatcher said:

Not exactly "breaking" the law. Imagine a company re-releasing a game in 2004 that springs from, say, 1992, which only runs in DOS but printing Win XP at the new package. Wouldn´t gamers want their money back?

If they claim the game runs in Windows XP and it doesn't, then simply put, that constitutes false advertising. I haven't seen any companies get in trouble for it either, but then the vast majority of gamers usually don't care about older games for one reason or another and thus never notice. Game companies HAVE gotten in trouble for false advertising before though (Capcom got it for claiming the Director's Cut of Resident Evil was completely uncut when in fact it wasn't).