Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Combat Banana

Wads with massive infighting?

Greetings.

I recently finished Doom 2 for the first time (on Hurt me plenty) and I figured I'd try out some custom content, thinking myself to be a decent player. I was wrong.

I downloaded the Scythe megawad, read the readme, and decided to skip to the last level, Fire and Ice. I got my ass kicked and barely managed to beat it on I'm too young to die. It's an amazing map, and what I liked about it was the MASSIVE amounts of monsters out in the open. I put on god mode and watched the horde of Mancubi (?) face off against the armies of Revanents. It was great.

Are there any other wads that feature massive amounts of enemies that are easily provoked into fighting? In a perfect world, I could put down any number of any monster into a room and watch them fight, but I can't do that.

Hell Revealed (HR.ZIP), Hell Revealed 2 (HR2FINAL.ZIP) and Alien Vendetta (AV.ZIP) feature many battles where it is a very good idea to use extensive infighting to your advantage. The same goes for the recent Deus Vult (DV.ZIP). Indeed, I can't imagine that these wads would be playable if infighting were somehow disabled. Note: skill 4 on all these wads is aimed at expert players. If you've so far only played Doom2 on HMP (skill 3), then you should try these on skill 1 or 2.

Note that a good level designer will make it difficult for the player to manage purely by provoking infighting.

The Nuts series (by B.P.R.D) provides scope for getting thousands of kills without firing a shot. If you play Nuts.wad in Nightmare, you can get more than 10000 kills in a Pacifist run. :)

You can use http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search to find and download these wads.

If you want a smaller map to practice your skill at provoking infighting, I can recommend Rooms of Hell. Try to do it without firing a shot.

I downloaded and tried Deus Vult (God Wish?), but it crashed the computer during the first level.

I also downloaded and played Hell Room, which was interesting. The army of Imps was cool, and it was funny to see a Mancubus swamped by them. I'll try the other wads a little later. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were using the original game (Doom2.exe or Doom95).

Deus Vult requires a limit-extending port. Pretty much any modern port (my personal preference is prboom/glboom) will suffice (except for the map05 version, which I wouldn't recommend in any case - you'll get better framerates playing maps 01-04).

The Nuts wads also require a limit-extending port (though expect a poor framerate no matter what).

HR, HR2 and AV are all designed to work with the original game, but for these too you might prefer to play using a port.

Grazza said:

The Nuts series (by B.P.R.D) provides scope for getting thousands of kills without firing a shot. If you play Nuts.wad in Nightmare, you can get more than 10000 kills in a Pacifist run. :)

PLEASE tell me there is a pcifist demo of nuts.wad. I would like to see that. :D

Damn right there is. :p

Several in fact (the easiest place to download them is here - look for filenames starting "nut"). It's actually rather easy.

I'm going to pimp Murderous Intent again (:D)...

Mainly for the reason that on UV (Renamed "Murderous Intent"), there is less than a 1:1 ammo/monsters ration on some levels, meaning that infighting is ABSOLUTELY necessary, especially from a pistol start (All maps are possible this way, I tested them myself :D).

Map05 in general has a NASTY ammo balance -- ESPECIALLY if you're trying for a 100% kills finish.

Looking back, there are some space issues (MI is rather cramped in places), but I'm actually rather proud of the wad. Which is why I'm pimping it.

And, I played the three finished levels of MI2 last night, and I have to say that in terms of gameplay, it's so refined it's unreal -- I *have* to release it... and, yes -- I'm planning for a lot of monsters, therefore infighting in that, too.

As for the comment about a good designer having to make infighting a necessity; don't believe it. IMHO being a good designer takes a SHEDLOAD more than that.

Jayextee said:

As for the comment about a good designer having to make infighting a necessity; don't believe it.

Who said that? I certainly didn't.

Helm's Deep

In this case, instead of just plain infighting, some of the monsters are on your side. However, it tends to slow down your computer about as much as nuts.

Grazza said:

Note that a good level designer will make it difficult for the player to manage purely by provoking infighting.

Sorry about that, I got your quote out of context. Although it isn't absolutely necessary to be a good designer, though. Probably a tertiary concern.

Grazza said:

Hell Revealed 2 (HR2FINAL.ZIP)

Yes, especially map32.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm playing Hell Revealed right now, and it's pretty good. In case it matters, I'm using Zdoom.

However, I found it to be a lot more fun to download Doom Builder, open up Hell Room, and add a large room with hundreds of monsters.

I put 6 cyberdemons, about 100 imps, 10 spider masterminds, about 30 cacodemons, 50 or so hell knights, and perhaps 40 mancubi. The cyberdemons killed everything :(.