Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwiNCannoN

Possible new info

Heard this over on ESR forums, guy claim's he was legit when asked, so of course it's based on word of mouth alone. I'd believe him just from knowing of the guy beforehand, but of course trust as you will (also, this is re: the advertisement picture):

No, it's not done yet. That's just the hype on the front cover of MCV magazine, which I might add mentions a very classy sounding Collector's Booklet going out in most Future Publishing mags next month.

Code isn't frozen until the 14th, release is due on the 3rd, demo over Quakecon weekend. No demo before commercial release.

5 dm maps, one of which was previewed last year's at E3. 1v1, FFA, TDM and Last Man Standing.

Don't expect sex out of the box, afaik we're still stuck with a 4 player mp limit. It does however run very nicely on a 2gig machine with a reasonable gfx card.

And no, no DVD version.

Find original post (and replies) in this thread.

The post said:

It does however run very nicely on a 2gig machine with a reasonable gfx card.

yay, more reasons not to worry about my vid card situation.

Wish he would've elaborated on what "reasonable" is though.

It sucks that the people with the information who are willing to spill it are so bad at detailing :P

Doesn't this point to --

1. Minimum system requirements being released very, very soon

2. Gold announcement within the next two weeks

???

If all this is true and we don't get screwed and have some "pre-release edition" at quakecon, the gold announcement should basically be any day.

As for specs, shrug... possibly with a gold announcement, although to be honest it's easy enough to figure out if you need to upgrade or not from all the articles/information posted about the tech already.

Something will, indeed, happen.

As it has been written by John Carmack:

And I quote:

"Doom 3 will be coming out on or around the weekend of the 3rd, more or less because of the upcoming QuakeCon event. Having an individual copy of the game won't be a prerequisite at the QuakeCon 2K4 Doom 3 tourney as we use a different setup than the traditional BYOC method. Suffice it to say, you will have your own copy of Doom3 before QuakeCon in August. We are anticipating gold status within the next several weeks. I would place my money on maybe the 25th of July."

And there you have it folks.

Awesome.

Still a bit frustrating because it's STILL not definite ("on or around the 3rd" -- and -- gold on "maybe the 25th of July") but in another way, it's comforting.

Laguna said:

You email with JC? Ask if he will marry me!

I just saw a scan of the GamePro 2 page DOOM3 advertisement. (can I link?) It is build up from known pictures. In the middle there is the hellnight (the picture with the motion blur on his right (for the viewer left) claw) with some more pictures blurred in to that. And with the text "PAIN SUFFERING DEATH"

Sorry, but it seems to me if JC was willing to e-mail out that kind of information, he'd be willing to put it on the web.

I maintain we probably won't see Doom 3 until Winter, with Quakecon merely serving as a form of betatesting.

Eh, not necessarilly. I've had words with Todd Hollenshead where he revealed two things to me that nobody else outside of id knew (wasn't posted anywhere on the internet, and he even said they hadn't told anyone). It happens. They're very generous in their emails sometimes.

TwiNCannoN said:

5 dm maps, one of which was previewed last year's at E3. 1v1, FFA, TDM and Last Man Standing.

Only 5 DM maps? Ah well, there will soon be hundreds more...

Trix0rz

That email was a complete fake. A fabrication by yours truly.

Point being, if I can find even ONE PERSON to believe that an email which I wrote assuming the guise of JC, using the type of eloquence he would normally use, is real... Then it would not be hard for someone else to do something similar.

Only difference is, he didn't make even a half-assed attempt at making a phony quote.

Laguna said:

Something will, indeed, happen.

As it has been written by John Carmack:

And I quote:

"Doom 3 will be coming out on or around the weekend of the 3rd, more or less because of the upcoming QuakeCon event. Having an individual copy of the game won't be a prerequisite at the QuakeCon 2K4 Doom 3 tourney as we use a different setup than the traditional BYOC method. Suffice it to say, you will have your own copy of Doom3 before QuakeCon in August. We are anticipating gold status within the next several weeks. I would place my money on maybe the 25th of July."

And there you have it folks.

Holy mother of God.

That is 9 days before the August 3rd date...SAWEET! :)

chubz said:

Holy mother of God.

That is 9 days before the August 3rd date...SAWEET! :)

Read the post above yours.

Darkstalker said:

Read the post above yours.

....shit....

Well thanks for getting my hopes up!

:(

Hm, yeah, I found that fake email pretty believable. Based on my past experiences, it didn't seem far fetched at all.

But you see how easy it is for any butter troll on a forum to start a thread saying he has "inside news" and then fabricate a fake email/press release/whatever corroborating it?

Now, I myself think it's likely Doom3 will be out by the first or second week of August, but for all we know, the game might not hit shelves for another 3 months!

Bottom line:

If it's April 1st, or any forum butter troll here or anywhere else (asides from the news staff like Ling -- even though he thought those CDs were real) posts up info saying that he has "inside information" you can more than likely dismiss him as being as such: a fat butter troll. Because if I can fabricate a perfectly legitimate-looking email (which a sizeable amount of people have believed to be a genuine article) from a game company executive, then quite a few others can do the same.

highlander said:

We'll all find out in 3 weeks or less if the hype about August 3rd was true. Keep your panties on.

High

Yup, I guess all we can do is hope.

Every day precious time is being lost - I just hope it doesnt get pushed back even further.

:(

If it's April 1st, or any forum butter troll here or anywhere else (asides from the news staff like Ling -- even though he thought those CDs were real) posts up info saying that he has "inside information" you can more than likely dismiss him as being as such: a fat butter troll.

I'd thank you to not blatantly insult me again. Like I said, believe as you will. The guy is trustworthy, but word of mouth is word of mouth.

Also, if anyone's dumb enough to believe that JC (and it's funny I just realize that connection, lol) actually emails info like that out on a casual basis when he doesn't even have time for "yes/no" interviews these days...

Only 5 DM maps? Ah well, there will soon be hundreds more...

Yeah... bit dissapointed, (if it's true) since I have a bad feeling the map quality (gameplay of course) will be low. I have seen splashdamage's work in the past.

TwiNCannoN said:

I'd thank you to not blatantly insult me again. Like I said, believe as you will. The guy is trustworthy, but word of mouth is word of mouth.

Also, if anyone's dumb enough to believe that JC (and it's funny I just realize that connection, lol) actually emails info like that out on a casual basis when he doesn't even have time for "yes/no" interviews these days...

Yeah... bit dissapointed, (if it's true) since I have a bad feeling the map quality (gameplay of course) will be low. I have seen splashdamage's work in the past.

I was not referring to you as a butter troll my friend. :)

I am unable to get to this link, however, that you posted. Would mind giving a little exposition and telling me who this guy is, and why he is trustworthy?

AFAIK, the only trustworthy peron(s) when it comes to the release of Doom3 are Id Software employees, and no more.