Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Doug Lombardi, some dude from Valve, thinks Doom 3 and HL 2 are cool.

Here

Mostly it is about HL2, but there is one quote about Doom 3 :

Some Valve d00d said :

14. Computer Games Romania: DOOM 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will be also released this year so you've got some competition out there (and there's the already released FarCry also). How do you feel about it? Do you find competition in this industry to be the engine which powers its progress?

Doug Lombardi: Maybe I'm just an old timer, but I really believe that it makes no difference whether you drive a Porsche or a Vette or a Beetle to the party. At the end of the day, the game experience is what matters. Regarding competition, we're gamers like everyone else and are very much looking forward to playing DOOM 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And, if all these games turn out great, it's better for the industry.

That's cool. Its also what I love about this type of industry - there's not a whole lot of backstabbing because its mainly comprised of nerdy gamers who just like to have a little fun with games at the end of the day.

the key words are 'due out'

why would he not think other games are cool?

personaly i have often wondered about the thoughts of bill gates. what does he think about linux/unix/MAC. does he use them? what about playstation and game cube. does the guy even own and play the X-box? does he get free games? what does he do anyways these days? i dout he is the one programing the windows kernel, maybe he does. it would be interesting to know more about the guy.

Sephiroth said:

why would he not think other games are cool?

personaly i have often wondered about the thoughts of bill gates. what does he think about linux/unix/MAC. does he use them? what about playstation and game cube. does the guy even own and play the X-box? does he get free games? what does he do anyways these days? i dout he is the one programing the windows kernel, maybe he does. it would be interesting to know more about the guy.

Yea, that would be quite interesting.

Its good to hear that guy say those things though, not only does that give me alot more respect towards Valve, but that just goes to show you how close the gaming community really is and that there is no need for conflict or competition.

It is all fun and games - noone should be out to beat anyone else.

I've seen a couple quotes where Gates has given props to linux for whatever reason, but of course that is easy to do when in such a secure position company-wise. Might be different if there was actually competition.

Yea, but I mean I thought STALKER was due out WAY later, like q4 2005-ish. Just shocked me is all hehe.

Doug Lombardi: Maybe I'm just an old timer, but I really believe that it makes no difference whether you drive a Porsche or a Vette or a Beetle to the party. At the end of the day, the game experience is what matters. Regarding competition, we're gamers like everyone else and are very much looking forward to playing DOOM 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And, if all these games turn out great, it's better for the industry.

I think that's cool, but I'm not surprised. I mean, why the hell would you want to play a game when you know it's not going to surprise you? To Lombardi, Doom3 would probably be funner than HL2 since he's never played it.

I think that's cool, but I'm not surprised. I mean, why the hell would you want to play a game when you know it's not going to surprise you? To Lombardi, Doom3 would probably be funner than HL2 since he's never played it.

Heh, OMG Mature attitudes, i'm sure a lot of normal gamer's heads are spinning now. Though what you said reminded me of an interview with the creator or driv3r giving his opinions on the other similar games, such as vice city, true crime and the getaway, of course driv3r turned out to be an utter disaster, but still..